Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White spot

White spot

Just on the news a new white spot outbreak down Logan way in some prawn farms and they have found some mud crabs in the system with it very sad for everyone again.

Re: White spot

Yes. Not good for the industry once again. It is interesting that they believe the original outbreak may have been from imported seafood being used as bait.

https://www.redlandcitybulletin.com....r-moreton-bay/

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

There's 2 huge issues here that I see.................who buys imported seafood, and why the hell would you use it as bait when it is way more expensive than bait quality ocean product?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Yes. Not good for the industry once again. It is interesting that they believe the original outbreak may have been from imported seafood being used as bait.

https://www.redlandcitybulletin.com....r-moreton-bay/

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog View Post
    There's 2 huge issues here that I see.................who buys imported seafood, and why the hell would you use it as bait when it is way more expensive than bait quality ocean product?
    when you compare the price of a kilo of vanemei prawns at woolies versus a 200g bag of tweed bait at the servo, you’re way ahead buying the vanemei prawns.

its probably what the biosecurity people were thinking when they gave imported prawns with white spot a low risk rating and allowed them into the country. If you’ve got half a kilo of prawns left in the freezer it’s cheaper to use them for a local fish then replace them than to buy tweed bait.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    when you compare the price of a kilo of vanemei prawns at woolies versus a 200g bag of tweed bait at the servo, you’re way ahead buying the vanemei prawns.

its probably what the biosecurity people were thinking when they gave imported prawns with white spot a low risk rating and allowed them into the country. If you’ve got half a kilo of prawns left in the freezer it’s cheaper to use them for a local fish then replace them than to buy tweed bait.
    Everyone goes on about buying Australian product and complain about beam trawlers and this is what has happened when they don't want to pay for tweed bait which buys most of the beam trawlers bait prawn so everyone can put a prawn on a hook to catch a fish all in all the whole white spot thing has a far reaching affect that just prawns.

Another outbreak doesn't sound good, the imported business will never go away, people will always "price shop" and then there is the percentage of people who just don't know any different, supermarket shoppers, and that part is getting bigger.

Tweed bait unfortunately can sit too long and degrade with freezer burn. Also the prawns aren't graded at all, you will get a couple of big ones, a few medium sized ones and a lot of small rubbish ones. With supermarket prawns the grading is fairly consistent which is probably the attractant which doesn't bear well for our local industry. I am fortumate that when the prawns are running I can throw the castnet and sort through them, the ones I don't want or can't use are given to mate down the road who has salt water aquariums, his fish love them especially live. I have small containers which I sort into which stack well in the freezer and I grab the one I need when heading out later in the year when the prawns are skipping all over the place.

It may get worse with all these.people losing there jobs = less income = needing to buy cheaper which is going to crush australian businesses

We use to buy tweed bait prawns, squid, but as Dig said lots of variation in sizes some are puny small u feed a hook thru them and the hook becomes the prawn

Now its best to goto the small local seafood shops mostly ran by asians they give good price and u get eating quality and all big prawns also u can check the prawns for this white spot so its up to you what u buy and support

Some of that tweed bait at servos i swear its been in freezers for 18 months by the look of it and unfortunatly if we cant pick up bait thats what we have to use

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Tweed pilichards are the best but they are a mix of fish some have a hooked lower lip

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    It may get worse with all these.people losing there jobs = less income = needing to buy cheaper which is going to crush australian businesses

We use to buy tweed bait prawns, squid, but as Dig said lots of variation in sizes some are puny small u feed a hook thru them and the hook becomes the prawn

Now its best to goto the small local seafood shops mostly ran by asians they give good price and u get eating quality and all big prawns also u can check the prawns for this white spot so its up to you what u buy and support

Some of that tweed bait at servos i swear its been in freezers for 18 months by the look of it and unfortunatly if we cant pick up bait thats what we have to use

also u can check the prawns for this white spot so its up to you what u buy and support

White spot is not always visible, that there is one of the many problems - but until biosecurity step in and stop people introducing imported seafood and waste of such to our waterways this is going to continue unfortunately..

I have said it before and will say it again, this whole white spot thing fails the bullshit test.
    So we should believe that the only imported prawns with white spot got sent to the SE corner woolies where they got used for bait and infected the local prawns?
    Or are we to believe that NO ONE else in the country uses woolies prawns for bait?
    I know for a fact thats not true, so how is it there hasnt been an outbreak anywhere else in the country?
    BULLSHIT!!!

Someone messed up down there (probably Customs or AQIS) and allowed a load of infected fish meal or some other product into the country and it probably got fed to the prawn farms. Nobody is going to put there hands up to admit that so its easier to blame the poor old fisho and wag your finger and tut tut.

Quote Originally Posted by gladfish View Post
    I have said it before and will say it again, this whole white spot thing fails the bullshit test.
    So we should believe that the only imported prawns with white spot got sent to the SE corner woolies where they got used for bait and infected the local prawns?
    Or are we to believe that NO ONE else in the country uses woolies prawns for bait?
    I know for a fact thats not true, so how is it there hasnt been an outbreak anywhere else in the country?
    BULLSHIT!!!

Someone messed up down there (probably Customs or AQIS) and allowed a load of infected fish meal or some other product into the country and it probably got fed to the prawn farms. Nobody is going to put there hands up to admit that so its easier to blame the poor old fisho and wag your finger and tut tut.
    My cousin actually goes right out of his way just to buy prawns from a woolies shop 20mins away even if we have planned to head off at 8am on a sunday he will walk out the door 7:55am and go buy the prawns his that fussy

BULLSHIT!!!

It could simply be that that's where the Prawn farms are in SE QLD, that's why the issue mainly occurs there?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It could simply be that that's where the Prawn farms are in SE QLD, that's why the issue mainly occurs there?
    That would seem to confirm the problem is from the prawn farms and not from the wild stock, so it probably isnt from woolies prawns. I am not anti prawn farms by any means, I quite like farmed prawns and it is definitely the future. I just dont believe the story they are selling.

That would seem to confirm the problem is from the prawn farms and not from the wild stock, so it probably isnt from woolies prawns. I am not anti prawn farms by any means, I quite like farmed prawns and it is definitely the future. I just dont believe the story they are selling.
    Crystal Bay prawn farms FNQ and others didn't have any white spot, so as mentioned the finger needs to be pointed elsewhere than woolies, regardless of the fact that I wouldn't buy any of that imported crap even for bait.