Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Technical approach to barra fishing.

Re: Technical approach to barra fishing.

Thanks to a continuing campaign of harassment by a couple of forum members, this message content has been deleted by Ronje.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to a continuing campaign of harassment by a couple of forum members, this message content has been deleted by Ronje.

Lure frequency only works when a lure is moveing but barra hit a lure on the pause so where does frequency come into play?? .

With all the lures made all over the world a lot of them are made for bass and they seem to work for barra too suspending and pausing and a tight wiggle action have been the right recipe and that was long before someone came up with the 10hz lateral line frequency when researching Barra lateral lines.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Lure frequency only works when a lure is moveing but barra hit a lure on the pause so where does frequency come into play?? .

With all the lures made all over the world a lot of them are made for bass and they seem to work for barra too suspending and pausing and a tight wiggle action have been the right recipe and that was long before someone came up with the 10hz lateral line frequency when researching Barra lateral lines.
    The barra is there ....... waiting for a trigger

The things I have witnessed over the years will blow your mind ...... Gin clear water at Lake Kinchant - a barra mesmerized watching the stalled lure ....... It's nose literally touching the lure - a little move of the lure .... BANG .

I dont know how many times I've seen barra hit at the back of the boat as the lure is lifted vertically .

What about landing the lure on a tree / log ... or even tea bag over branch ....... the lure touches / hits the water & BANG

Dont worry about a lure being paused ....... that barra was there often the second the lure touched down . They are a well attuned fish . ..... a combination of Lateral line , eyesight & night vision

God I love barra

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have been following this thread with interest since I recently started my Bass and Barra trail last month with a mate. Whilst the technical aspects of the fish sensory system are helpfull, I find application of this information in the real life fishing setting very challenging. By way of explanation I fished 4 sessions Callide dam, 4 sessions Lake Awoonga and 10 sessions at Lake Monduran for no results, not even one hit. On the second last day, we conducted a small case (my mate) control (me) study by using the same lure but a different action within 5 metres of each other. I used combination twitching/slow roll with no suspension and my mate used a faster return and suspension for 10 seconds after 5 quicker rolls of reel. All other variables, we were both using Jackall Squirrel lures boney or pink eye suzi (except line colour) for each cast. He had 5 hits and landed 4 and I had no hits. In my view, the only other reasonable explanation for the different strike rate was due to the minor difference of location (unlikely) and more likely probability (chance). In the end, I still believe hit rate comes down to only minor variations in lure retrieval technique and chance. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest since I recently started my Bass and Barra trail last month with a mate. Whilst the technical aspects of the fish sensory system are helpfull, I find application of this information in the real life fishing setting very challenging. By way of explanation I fished 4 sessions Callide dam, 4 sessions Lake Awoonga and 10 sessions at Lake Monduran for no results, not even one hit. On the second last day, we conducted a small case (my mate) control (me) study by using the same lure but a different action within 5 metres of each other. I used combination twitching/slow roll with no suspension and my mate used a faster return and suspension for 10 seconds after 5 quicker rolls of reel. All other variables, we were both using Jackall Squirrel lures boney or pink eye suzi (except line colour) for each cast. He had 5 hits and landed 4 and I had no hits. In my view, the only other reasonable explanation for the different strike rate was due to the minor difference of location (unlikely) and more likely probability (chance). In the end, I still believe hit rate comes down to only minor variations in lure retrieval technique and chance. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app
    There may be even more to it ...... I've seen one side of the boat outfish the other side when both anglers are casting to a point - this could boil down to angles & the way a lure works with a current ( yes there are currents that form) . or the way the fish are sitting in that current . One example was we had a location where barra were sitting on a bankside stick (not much more than a stick ) - land the lure on the right & you got fish ..... land it on the left - nothing. ..... nothing to do with retrieve , lure etc as the fish were hitting on touchdown in 2 ft of water.
    Cadence in the retrieve or the reel ratio / spool diameter ....... I've experienced days that a spin outfit dominated against a baitcaster fishing the same soft plastic & vice versa .

not so straight forward

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Shortenlong

So what is it that you disagree with, Matt?
    I actually don't read your grandiloquent ramblings. I must have just fat fingered the disagree button scrolling to the bottom to see if there was a Barra picture or just another bombastic diatribe.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I actually don't read your grandiloquent ramblings. I must have just fat fingered the disagree button scrolling to the bottom to see if there was a Barra picture or just another bombastic diatribe.

Matt
    One reposted off the net?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    One reposted off the net?
    One day a bloke I don't know will post a picture of a bloke I do know. It's only a matter of time

Matt

I just love the way he answers his own posts when nobody pays enough attention to the ramblings.