Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Technical approach to barra fishing.

Okay back in two or three days after ive read it all .

That light spectrum stuff is old news and in the depths that you fish for barra i think its a little irrelivent .silhouette and frequency has no colour have think about that weither its dirty water or night time or day time there's only a few things fish pick up on smell ,sight ,silhouette and frequency .

In low light conditions the rods and cones change shape in fishes eyes to see black and white ,that's why you use a black lure or fly at night time and then with frequency it's what the fish detects from the movement of the prey it's chasing ,some of this stuff is interesting ,but matching your lure to what there eating or getting a territorial strike has nothing to do with colour.

As a rocky barra fishinerman I expected to here something like after winter fish the river were the big buildings are and fish were the sun reflects onto as this is were the warmest water is and where the barra will be actively feeding .

If you something to say then just say it instead off making us read stuff on light spectrum before you tell us a little more.

Careful Chris. This bloke has caused major problems on other sites with people who disagree with him.

Nobody is making u read anything, Chris.

It's certainly a different way of looking at barramundi fishing. A way based on fact and NOT relying on myth and folklore although a couple of bits of the myth and folklore have turned out to be technical fact but not a lot. eg use of gold bombers in dirty water. The promoters of that theory were right but for the wrong reasons. There is indeed a technical reason which I'll cover a bit later if anybody wants.

The reader of this stuff needs to have an open mind, receptive to new ideas AND has to accept that maybe a lot of the stuff repeated and written over the years (probably well-meaning) has contributed to a lot of the confusion. Well-meaning perhaps but confusing never-the-less.

Trickle feed is simply a logical way of giving people time to understand and absorb what's being put to them step by step. Then they can make up their own minds.

I fish for barra in all depths, Chris with 11 metres being the deepest at which I've caught barra. Absolutely no light (or colour) at 11 metres here.

Once you go beyond the depth that light reaches, there IS no colour. There's no colour even before the light eventually disappears. Simply deepening shades of grey which then fade to black. The barra's main sensor (lateral lines data) is still operating so that's what they rely on.

THAT'S why soft vibes work. Vibes operate in zero light conditions on the bottom so its only vibrations as the lure is lifted ( is that what you mean by frequency?) that the barra can home in on.

Its only when there's sufficient light that a barra's eyes come into play. That's usually in shallow water AND how they rely on their eyes is what a lot of the confusion has been about.

I expected to here something like after winter fish the river were the big buildings are and fish were the sun reflects onto as this is were the warmest water is and where the barra will be actively feeding .

You wouldn't hear that sort of stuff from me Chris, because it ain't true. The opposite is true, Chris.

During winter is the time to fish the town reaches (where the big buildings are but not for that reason) especially if there's a low tide about 12 noon.

The reasoning is that the numerous rockbars are exposed to the sun from about 9am through to about 3 pm and are heated by the sun and retain that warmth as the afternoons wears on and the flood tide starts. When the water starts to cover them , some of the heat is transferred to the water which can increase water temp by 1-2 degrees for a while. During winter Chris, not after. That also allows landbased fishermen to fish the "light lines" just on dark or early evenings. The light line is where the shadows of the bridges fall from the lights on the two traffic bridges immediately below the bridges across the width of the river. One such light line also is created straight above the remains of the old cross river bridge in 1952 when it was dropped straight down into the river next to the replacement bridge. Been many big barra pulled off that structure since then.

Barra don't stop in winter. The strain here is the most southerly in strain in Aus and have evolved in cooler temperatures. I catch just as many barra in winter as in summer. That theory might apply to the NT or FNQ with different strains but not here.

I'd be happy to pass a lot of the locally applicable environmental factors on, Chris but that wasn't the intention behind what this thread is about. This is about fundamentals which is where the folklore and myth went all wrong over the years. Its just never been seriously challenged before.

I don't fish the town reach and neither do most others that I know. Nor do I fish impoundments much. Can't remember when I last fished an impoundment. Prefer wild barra.

We leave the myths about shadows and tall buildings stuff for visitors.

With no fresh/flood water inputs via the barrage here, the river can green up quite a bit. Not as murky as it usually is. Visibility can get down to 2 metres which means that a barra can see colour down to 3 metres and b/w down to 4 metres. But you've got to use the right colours to get down 3-4 metres to supplement the barra's lateral line. Blue won't do it and even red is fading by the time u reach a murkiness factor of NTU of 15 - 20. Then you have to resort to orange/chartreuse combinations for best results.

Anyway, I can only give you what's based on technical fact. Like you, I've heard all the folklore and myth that's been around for years. This is about the main tools available to a barramundi, how a fisherman can use those tools to catch a barramundi and how the myths/folklore has led to so much confusion.

regards
    Ron.

The articles on underwater colours are universal for ALL types of water.

How a fish perceives the colours is dependent upon its vision. Different species have different vision characteristics.

I've concentrated on barramundi and their "party trick" eyes (tapedum lucidum/eyeshine). .

Being a species of significant economic benefit, a lot of scientific research about barramundi is known so there's plenty of credible evidence around (not simply folklore and/or myth).

Other Qld species such as threadfin salmon (king with 5 whiskers each side and blues with 4 whiskers each side) with less perceived economic benefit haven't been researched anywhere near as much so little
    credible evidence exists on their vision characteristics eg do they have party trick eyes?

Now that we're up to speed with the subjects so far, here's the next step...Understanding fluorescence.

FLUORESCENCE.pdf

Thanks for that info see I wasn't hard was it .

That's fine Chris. No problem at all.

What I'm attempting to give people is the opportunity to think about are the tools that WE (as fishermen) can use knowing what tools the barramundi have at their disposal.

There has been so much written and spoken about the subject but with little of it based on fact.

Mostly its been myth and folklore based on the proponents approach of being confidently wrong rather than hesitantly correct.

You were talking about tactics not tools. Happy to help you with tactics here (and will if you like) but please recognise that the tactics to use vary from place to place and are influenced by local circumstances.

What I gave you to think about in respect of light/colour/electromagnetic radiation/ fading in different water murkiness isn't "old hat". I'll guarantee that very few people on this forum have a working knowledge of electromagnetic radiation and how it works in the fisherman's world. You might be surprised at who in the industry of well known fishing writers has been "converted".

To date, its been a exercise in using facts ( circumstances able to be proved) to show just how much bulllsh.t has been put up over the years.

There's quite an industry in recreational barramundi fishing ranging from supply of tools (lures, line, rods, reel, boats, motors, accommodation etc etc) that ANY claim is believed and any statement by the fishing "gurus" is taken as gospel. There's money to be in the folklore and myth.

However, Its not with most simply based on industry "churn" of repeating folklore or myth.

I'll give you the technical facts about what the myth and folklore actually mean then you guys need to simply make up your own minds about this stuff.

I've often referred to the proponents of of the myth and folklore as members of the "bathwater drinkers' association".

I've got some more info on how to understand the "lure" tool as it is the basic implement used by fishermen unless the use bait (live or dead). Like most people I've used both.

So think about lures next.

regards
    Ron

remember when the only fish hooks came in silver color,, then theses days they come in red color mostly, i must have forgotten but probably just didnt know but i ordered some quality japanese mono and it was red line, didnt think much of it until the penny dropped , these colors must have something to do with the red in particular fading or appearing faint underwater as per your research

didnt think much of it until the penny dropped , these colors must have something to do with the red in particular fading or appearing faint underwater as per your research

Well picked up, Catshark. Those "penny dropping" moments start to become self evident once you know some of the fundamentals.

Yes. Red fades faster alright but only in CLEAR water.

In clear water fishing (like ocean reefs etc), mono leader with no colour is practically invisible anyway so just use a mono/flurocarbon leader on what ever colour line you choose. The leader provides sufficient "invisible gap" between lure and line.

The yanks like to use mono for line when large mouth bass fishing in their tournaments. No leader therefore no knots therefore rod guides can be minature with less friction.

They also like to use flurocarbon line right through because it has the same refractive index (another one of those technical fundamentals) as pure water thereby being invisible.

So plain mono/flurocarbon has a bit going for it in CLEAR water (except for its stretch with resulting decreasing sensitivity).

Nothing like braid with 60 lb leader as a standard rig, I reckon.

Anyway, those are tactics but the light/colour stuff obviously got you thinking about how those technical things are actually applied in the real world.

Knowing something about the technical fundamentals allows you to organise the tactics that should work best.

Going looking for king now ( some big ones around) so will put up some of the technical stuff on how lures work when I get back.

Here we are.

The technical stuff about how a hard body lure works.

Lure action.pdf

Dianetics, amway, tony robbins, dunno...think l smell a rat

With all ive read so far Nuclear chicken colour in the barrages and use White or polar bear squidgies there your favourite and vides are the go ,im thinking that old Rod Harrison used rattling spot vibes for Barra when jesus was in nappies so your a bit behind in things.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    With all ive read so far Nuclear chicken colour in the barrages and use White or polar bear squidgies there your favourite and vides are the go ,im thinking that old Rod Harrison used rattling spot vibes for Barra when jesus was in nappies so your a bit behind in things.
    What doesn't eat nuclear chicken???

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    What doesn't eat nuclear chicken???

Matt
    The Chinese LOL just about the only thing they wont eat

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

And here's a little bit on vibe lures.

Vibe lures.pdf