Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Copied from facebook. Cheers Ray
    Allow Queenslanders to catch fish for food in our inland dams.
    Andrew Gale started this petition to Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and 2 others
    We can't fish our stocked dams yet we fish on the coast for food?
    On Tuesday March 31, Transport Minister, Mark Bailey sensibly reversed a decision to allow people to use boats to access local waterways to catch fish for food during the COVID-19 crisis, provided they complied with social distancing and other requirements.
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...se-to-continue
    This was met with thanks by the people of Queensland who supplement their diet with fresh caught fish, crustaceans etc.
    On the same day, Minister for Natural Resources, Anthony Lynham announced that all freshwater dams were closed for fishing to feed ourselves and families.
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...-out-statewide
    These two statements contradict and penalise Queenslander's who do not live in coastal areas.
    Queensland has 63 stocked impoundment's and weirs that our now off limits. This means inlanders must either queue at supermarkets to buy fish or travel great distances to the coast to fish.
    This is not common sense.
    Allow us to fish our local dams!!


    http://chng.it/PhGq9vXGLZ
    Cheers Ray

  2. #2

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Copied from facebook. Cheers Ray
    Allow Queenslanders to catch fish for food in our inland dams.
    Andrew Gale started this petition to Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and 2 others
    We can't fish our stocked dams yet we fish on the coast for food?
    On Tuesday March 31, Transport Minister, Mark Bailey sensibly reversed a decision to allow people to use boats to access local waterways to catch fish for food during the COVID-19 crisis, provided they complied with social distancing and other requirements.
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...se-to-continue
    This was met with thanks by the people of Queensland who supplement their diet with fresh caught fish, crustaceans etc.
    On the same day, Minister for Natural Resources, Anthony Lynham announced that all freshwater dams were closed for fishing to feed ourselves and families.
    http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...-out-statewide
    These two statements contradict and penalise Queenslander's who do not live in coastal areas.
    Queensland has 63 stocked impoundment's and weirs that our now off limits. This means inlanders must either queue at supermarkets to buy fish or travel great distances to the coast to fish.
    This is not common sense.
    Allow us to fish our local dams!!


    http://chng.it/PhGq9vXGLZ
    Cheers Ray
    Do you really want to eat fish from stocked impoundments?

    Matt

  3. #3
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Do you really want to eat fish from stocked impoundments?

    Matt
    Of course not but they want to use that loophole to go fishing...

    Cant see anything wrong with it myself except that it may further encourage people to travel longer distances to get there....pretty harmless though you would think ,although driving to a property to go hunting is also banned …..so where do you draw the line...?

  4. #4

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Do you really want to eat fish from stocked impoundments?

    Matt
    Probably better than eating fish from Vietnam.
    Shawn

  5. #5

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Do you really want to eat fish from stocked impoundments?

    Matt
    Have you ever eaten a properly prepared tandan.yella.silver or bass? Cheers Ray

  6. #6

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    I have eaten Tandan it isn't great. I wasn't really asking the question based on taste, if you like eating freshwater fish that's your call. I was more really questioning the taking of stocked fish resources. I know it isn't "illegal" but it seems a bit dodgy to take them

    Matt

  7. #7

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Probably better than eating fish from Vietnam.
    Shawn

    I'd personally avoid both on taste and ethics grounds
    Matt

  8. #8

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I'd personally avoid both on taste and ethics grounds
    Matt
    Matt
    I am interested in what you mean by ethical grounds in relation to the taking of stocked resources.
    By no means do I wish to start a shitfight, I would only like to hear your reasoning.
    On the question of taste, I love a tasty fillet of, let’s say ,a yellow belly or Murray Cod.Like most seafood, I have found that the taste has a great deal to do with ,the environment where it was caught and how it was prepared.
    Shawn

  9. #9

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    I'm not interested in a shitfight either.

    I guess from the outset I'm not someone who fishes to collect my bag every time. As far as stocked impoundments go I just don't feel it is doing the work of local stocking groups any justice to take fish that I personally find unappetizing.

    Simple as that, personal ethical stance if you want to call it something, even my wife doesn't always understand how I can go fishing for a day somewhere I know I won't be bringing anything home.

    Matt

  10. #10

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Have you ever eaten a properly prepared tandan.yella.silver or bass? Cheers Ray
    Is that the soaked in diesel , milk or degreaser method

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  11. #11

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Ah! The ethical argument. Why go fishing if not for a feed, C&R just doesn't make sense to me and seems unethical to me. Fresh water fish, I believe the environment has much to do with taste. I've eaten Carp and Pike in the Baltics and both presented well and flavoured. The person I fished with said that Carp in fast running water was what we were after as the still waters gave them a strong flavour they didn't like. These are fish in 10kg + size BTW.

  12. #12

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I'm not interested in a shitfight either.

    I guess from the outset I'm not someone who fishes to collect my bag every time. As far as stocked impoundments go I just don't feel it is doing the work of local stocking groups any justice to take fish that I personally find unappetizing.

    Simple as that, personal ethical stance if you want to call it something, even my wife doesn't always understand how I can go fishing for a day somewhere I know I won't be bringing anything home.

    Matt
    Matt

    Stocked impoundments are put & take fisheries and I know of in the case of barra - there is encouragement to remove fish.

    That said - the vast majority who fish these places practice catch & release ……..

    The nomads seem do like to keep a feed & do travel to the impoundments to stock up on protein ……. I used to chuckle hearing their methods of preparing the fish - particularly the concoctions that the fish were soaked or marinated with / in .

    The only thing I would bother eating out of a dam is redclaw up North or trout down south ……. a yabby eating trout is bloody good tucker

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  13. #13

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    All stocked dams in Qld are put and take fisheries.
    Whilst there are some dams close to the salt there are also a lot that are inland and why should people who live close to one of these dams be deprived of getting a feed of fresh fish.
    I am not wrapped in the taste of barra from Mondy .Awonga, and lenthalls but find fish from most of the dams in seq quite palatable after skinning and removing the fat. When i lived in longreach the local yellas were muddy but a bit of keens curry powder in the flour fixed that. Better than eating mutton or tough beef but to each their own.
    Cheers
    Ray

  14. #14

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    sorry double post

  15. #15

    Re: Petition to allow Queenslanders to fish inland dams.

    Opera Snapshot_2020-04-21_173118_mcusercontent.com.pngI have not heard of any stocking of tandans in QLD they appear to breed quite successfully in the dams thati fish in SEQ in fact they can be a pest fishing in hinze and Baroon pocket wen you are targeting bass on shrimp Different story in southern states where they are protected or small bag limits as a result of over fishing in the rivers. Possible impacted by carp. Catch stats for npd for feb
    Cheers Ray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us