Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haines V146R rebuild thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Haines V146R rebuild thread

Hi all.

Along with everyone else, I find I now have a little bit too much time on my hands, so it's time to rebuild an old HH V146R I picked up a couple of months ago.
    I found it on the side of the road and it was obviously a wreck. I knew every piece of timber would be shot, but being such a little boat, it wouldn't be too hard to refurb.
    The little '87 Johnson 70hp didn't take much to coax back to life, the trailer was rust free and the hull was still straight, so I bought it.

IMG_0011(2).jpg IMG_0097.jpg IMG_0100.jpg

The classic was the alloy transom "strengthener".
    2.5mm alloy, sikaflexed on. Beautifully welded duckboards.
    A complete waste of good sika...
    It did absolutely nothing, strength wise. The transom was completely shot and the boat, if used, would be a death trap.

I had it advertised for a month or so, accurately advising that a rebuild was needed, and then proceeded to field 50 stupid questions and silly offers.

So, rebuild time...

The hard part, is deciding what to do with it.
    The hull is easy to work out.
    Replace transom, stringers and floors in a good and workmanlike manner.

The "style" of boat is a bit harder.

The new "fad" seems to be to add a wave breaker in place of the windscreen, a la Coota Craft, but my take on that is, if I'm copping waves over the bow in a baby 14'er necessitating a wave breaker, I need to have a serious think about what conditions I will put to sea in...

Same again for relocating the motor to a pod. All that trouble for a very small boat. Just buy a 16 footer..

A centre console this size is probably too small for serious fishing around Brisbane.

2 x forward facing buckets is very limiting for a young family, so I have decided to do it up as it would have appeared 50 years ago -
    A pair of back to back seats, if I can find some.

So that's the plan.

Now the work.

Bought the marine ply I would need in the short term and resin and glass to hold it all together.
    A good selection of abrasives for the dreaded grinding, and break out the power tools, breaker bar, lump hammer and chisels:

Step 1 - remove motor:
    IMG_0205.jpg IMG_0203.jpg

Step 2 - Remove trailer:
    IMG_0215.jpg

Step 3 - remove back deck - As the entire deck needs a lot of work, this is my preferred method of transom and girder replacement
    IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg

Step 4 - rip it all apart
    IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0242(1).jpg IMG_0245(1).jpg

So, that is the end of the 1st day.

Next will be a LOT of grinding, followed by the 1st forward steps. Transom first, then follow the logical progression.

Re: Haines V146R rebuild thread

was wondering what your next boat would be.....will follow its rebirth with great interest......funnily enough looking at the photos... I am doing a few smaller repairs building up to making a set of tandem fibreglass mudguards very similar to the ones in the picture with the other boat beside...I have an old set of tinka single axle guards which is a help to start..

I'm a huge fan of back to back seats so I hope you find some, so comfortable for driving & fishing.

nice little hull
    i picked up a haines 445r with a 115 johnson yesterday cheap, just waiting for it to be dropped off

i'm watching with close interest ..... i am thinking of a similar project with a 146R.

interested in understanding the challenges prior to starting.

BigE

cute little boat, still got a nice shape to em just the windscreen shows the age of em ,,, saw one on sale yesty repaired hull and full new paint but with a big , real big wave breaker man looks crook and seller wants 10k for it no motor

Giddy 8th picture was this boat a short shaft at one stage than converted to long or extea long shaft? Can see the lower transom holes they are possibly the lower engine holes but thought i would ask

Looks like she went down hill after that transom was upgraded than the additional she'll be right alloy plate on the back

Cant even guess what u paid for this hull it wouldnt have been cheap but after seing your last two builds you'll be in the 5 digits at sale time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

[QUOTE=gazza2006au;1667885]Giddy 8th picture was this boat a short shaft at one stage than converted to long or extra long shaft? Can see the lower transom holes they are possibly the lower engine holes but thought i would ask

It has always been a long shaft - 20"
    The multitude of holes is a result of swapping an early mercury for a Johnson at some stage.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Got a bit done on the little boat in the last couple of days.

I made a template of the transom and cut out the marine ply core.
    IMG_0247.jpg

I used 2 x 15mm pieces and laminated them together with epoxy.
    Plenty of relief holes to ensure no voids.
    IMG_0259.jpg

Then on with a final grind, and ready to fit the transom core.
    Here, it has been epoxied to the outer skin, which was pretty seriously out of shape.
    Over 100 relief holes, and about a litre of epoxy mixed with cabosil to make glue, and it's attached.
    I counted 90 screws went in to pull up all the voids.
    IMG_0262(1).jpg

Made a mess of the outer skin, but that's a relatively easy fix later when preparing for paint:
    IMG_0269.jpg

Quickly wipe down all the epoxy that squeezed out (remember, poly will not stick to epoxy), and glass up a new inner skin from a combination of 450 choppy and 450 D/B.
    Total weight of the skin is 2,250gsm on the face, with an extra 2,250 100mm onto the hull and hull sides and continuing 100mm onto the core:
    IMG_0268.jpg

If the weather Gods are kind tomorrow, I'll try to get a bit more done.

cracking effort already , wow didnt know about so many relief holes great tip

I'm tired from just watching this, so what's your next project going to be as this one will be finished soon at this rate.

Chopped mat an epoxy? You must love using resin, did u perhaps grind the green gelcoat back or just glass over it? Strange you done spectacular jobs previously

i wonder why previous owner put those duckboards on , i imagine lots of spray rooster tails coming while under way . like you say good waste of sikaflex

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Had a good productive couple of days.

With the transom in and glassed, it was time to move onto the girders.
    I've always found the best way to do them is from the outside in - Keel last. The hull just seems to hold it's shape better.

These little 146R's have a tricky outer girder. The original builders realised that a girder was needed there, so they chose to box it in, Effectively, the lid acted as a shelf for the side pockets.

The original was a glass over ply fixture:
    IMG_0238.jpg

As usual with boats this old, the ply had turned into something else, but the shell came out easily in one piece, so I chose to grind out all the offending rotten timber and glass in a couple layers of 'glass:
    IMG_0276.jpg

Glassed them both back into the hull:
    IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0280.jpg

Happy with that. Combination of 450CSM and 450D/B.
    Lots stronger than original, and I've decided to foam fill the voids, because they sound very "drummy".
    I have some pouring foam which increases it's volume 20X, if mixed correctly.
    I'll let you know how that goes.

I also got the next girder in on port side replaced. Lots of scribing and mucking about, but it's done now:
    IMG_0282.jpg

And that's it for today.

Hopefully, more soon.

Ok so the green is the old fibreglass resin i have never seen it this colour i thought it was green gelcoat appoligies