Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Haines V146R rebuild thread

Re: Haines V146R rebuild thread

Finished boat tomorrow. Can you slow it down, normally I'd be happy to read this over a period of time but I reckon we're all in it for the long haul so need something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Finished boat tomorrow. Can you slow it down, normally I'd be happy to read this over a period of time but I reckon we're all in it for the long haul so need something to look forward to.
    Wish i had Giddy's aspiration i would be out sailing already its bloody hard labourous work and he is flying thru it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Haha!
    Thanks guys, but seriously, this is the easy part that can be flown through.
    I find most of the time goes into bogging and fairing and repairing existing damage.
    At the end of the day, one has to be happy with one's efforts and to me, if it doesn't look factory, I haven't tried hard enough.

Took a bit bit of time to get wound up today, as I knew i'd be doing the worst grind of all - under the foredeck to pull out the rotten keel.

Mucked about a bit setting up a sun shelter using the crap bimini frame that came with the boat:
    IMG_0288(1).jpg IMG_0289(1).jpg

OK, that killed 15 minutes.

I decided to remove the stb'd middle girder and to prep and replace it:
    Pretty knackered. Absolutely no solid wood left...
    IMG_0284(1).jpg

But it all cleaned up ok and the new one went in without incident:.
    IMG_0285(1).jpg

It was then time to suit up and dive under the front to remove the front portion of the keel.
    I do not know how I used to do this for a living and think absolutely nothing of it. It was just part of the job.

Anyhoo, I stayed there until it was out and fully prepped the area to replace the keel, re-glass the semicircular chine strengtheners, glass in the new front floor and fit the replacement foot board.

Big grind:
    IMG_0286(1).jpg

All going well, I'd like to get the 2 underfloor bulkheads and the full keel in tomorrow, but that may be a bit of wishful thinking.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Read someone else doing a reno on fb said it was to hot to work today.... i was under a dooner freezing my ass off in Sydney

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Close but no cigar.

I got the bow keel scribed and dry fitted. More grinding under the nose, then scribed and dry fitted the frd floor.

I decided to do both cockpit underfloor bulkheads before removing the keel, and those also took much longer than expected.

Here's the 2 bulkheads dry fitted, and the keel still in place.
    IMG_0291.jpg

Here's the front floor (glassed both sides) dry fitted.
    IMG_0292.jpg

Maybe tomorrow will see everything done today glassed in and hopefully, the keel too!

And it's taking me days to fit my new fuel tank. To be fair though I am rebuilding gardens, going out to feed us - bloody fish weren't too cooperative today still fed the neighbours for tonight. To be realistic I'm not in a hurry to fit it as I can't use the boat as the nearest ramp for offshore is 25km away.

Lol Dig i do 10 hours of reading for each 5mins of work on the boat

Ausfish Silver Member

It's a rebuild thread guys.
    A log of how the boat is refurbished.
    Please...
    No offence.

Hi giddy,

Was wondering when you would start another re-build. I have started back on my big boat now that I will be home for some time and a couple of small projects on the tinny. Keep the photos coming as I love seeing the progress.

Haines V146R rebuild thread

Error. Did not intend

What fuel tank are you putting in ?
    When I did the last 445 I installed a 60l plastic tank partly in a floor cavity but it protruded and covered by the center console

Ausfish Silver Member

[QUOTE=stevej;1668182]What fuel tank are you putting in ?/QUOTE]

I have a portable 50 litre alloy tank in great condition left over from a previous project, which fits perfectly under the engine well.

This is a photo of it when I 1st got the little V146's motor going:
    IMG_0103.jpg

I have a plastic 30 litre that can go under the nose if necessary.

I haven't had a 70hp motor in years, so I do not remember fuel economy of the little 3 cylinder Johno's, but I'm sure that the 50 will be adequate and 80 will be overkill.

Can' t see the sense in trying to fit an underfloor tank, as the space will be very shallow and a custom built tank will be quite expensive.

Wow a rebuild thread that is concise, to the point and not filled with erroneous fluff.... Love ya work and thank-you...

Had a 70 of that era and used two 25l tote tanks

Went to the fads off Sydney all over the Hawkesbury and outside broken bay

But that was on a Quinny reef master

On the 445 I boxed a 10cm deep depression which took half the depth of the steel tank I had made.
    The console covered the rest and had a full port half way up the side of the Console

nice work giddy, after reading your progress i feel more confidence if ever i have to tackle a transom repair , still thinking about those girders holy they looked tricky,