Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Hull Liner

Replacing Hull Liner

After 29 years the original hull liner is looking a bit worse for wear and with time on my hands I thought I'd replace it. Now the original spray contact would be well and truly dry and I'd imagine may not be an easy thing to remove from the cabin sides. So there are a couple of questions around this.

Can the original contact adhesive be removed easily and if so which product would be the best, I've tried, some turps, acetone but nothing really wants to remove it.

If it is hard and dry is it possible to just spray over it with more contact?

I've used artificial turf adhesive in a lot of areas in the past but only on horizontal surfaces, has anyone used it on vertical surfaces. Reason being is that this stuff is much easier to realign in the first couple of minutes allowing some leeway in areas that are awkward.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Re: Replacing Hull Liner

Now that turps has been used you would need to give it a good clean to remove the turps, the contact adhesive would need the right solvent to remove it if you put a sander over it it will just clog your sand paper once it heats up id just give it a good clean with hydrocarbon solvent and glue over it its not load bearing just got to hold itself up.

Keep a sharp blade handy, as you peel it back just cut the contact between the carpet and hull, a good wire brush afterwards, clean then hit it with the arti turf adhesive, I used to lay the stuff and have laid it on 90deg concrete blocks etc, also used it to carpet the bench seats in my tinny with no problems yet, been about two years and has seen plenty of sun and water

Can u use one of those beigh disc for grinders that remove stickers from cars its like a rubber wheel or something its not abrasive to paint

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Now that turps has been used you would need to give it a good clean to remove the turps, the contact adhesive would need the right solvent to remove it if you put a sander over it it will just clog your sand paper once it heats up id just give it a good clean with hydrocarbon solvent and glue over it its not load bearing just got to hold itself up.
    Chris, I only tried turps on a small area. I was hoping to avoid sanding,

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Keep a sharp blade handy, as you peel it back just cut the contact between the carpet and hull, a good wire brush afterwards, clean then hit it with the arti turf adhesive, I used to lay the stuff and have laid it on 90deg concrete blocks etc, also used it to carpet the bench seats in my tinny with no problems yet, been about two years and has seen plenty of sun and water
    Peeling the old stuff off is not a problem. There are areas in the cockpit where I was considering not replacing it so a clean up is necessary and I note that there is proprietry contact cleaner on the market but it's not cheap especially if it doesn't work well.
    I forgot I had used the turf adhesive in the tinnie and is holding still.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Can u use one of those beigh disc for grinders that remove stickers from cars its like a rubber wheel or something its not abrasive to paint

Haven't seen those, will have to look into it.

One of these Dig u can get them for drills and grinders

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pneumati...QAAOSw09peGAeY

Not too sure much will work on old dry glue, most solvents are for cleaning up, once it's hard, only some mechanical gizmo will get it off (I think)

I'm going to do a test run on an area where I will be replacing it with a piece of left over marine carpet as the liner hasn't been delivered yet, I'd imagine freight deliveries are slower than normal although the cryovac rolls I ordered Wednesday arrived this morning. I'm hoping that maybe I will only need good clean where I'm not replacing it and that the old glue may not affect the new glue.

Hi Sam try some paint thinner it should take it of, The wheel that Gaz is referring to is a Caramel wheel will be a slow process with this wheel but they do a good job, A poly disk in a medium grit on a 100 Mm grinder will work just go softly softly

Thanks Col, I tried paint thinners and acetone and with a lot of time and elbow grease hardly any got shifted. so I figure I might have to bite the bullet and sand it back, a guy down the road did the same thing on the same hull as mine. I just didn't want to go down that path if I could help it.

Ausfish Silver Member

You will muck about for hours with chemicals, and in the end will have wasted a heap of time and money.
    Just bite the bullet and get the grinder out.
    24 grit will rip it off. Don't use a lot of pressure - you just want the old glue to go. You don't have to remove every last skerrick.
    Good prep for adhesive, after a very quick acetone wipe.
    Hose the boat out to get rid of the itchies.

Giddy would the sanding just imbed the glue deeper into the gelcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    You will muck about for hours with chemicals, and in the end will have wasted a heap of time and money.
    Just bite the bullet and get the grinder out.
    24 grit will rip it off. Don't use a lot of pressure - you just want the old glue to go. You don't have to remove every last skerrick.
    Good prep for adhesive, after a very quick acetone wipe.
    Hose the boat out to get rid of the itchies.
    I was going to try the poly disc grinder wheels, I wasn't going to as although great on rust etc I thought they might clog up. The other option was flapper discs. Or what your suggesting is that a straight 24 grit sanding disc will do it. Tried to find some, bunnings was zip, unfortunately Trade Tools was closed, should have gone there first.