Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going with the trend " vintage"

going with the trend " vintage"

deleted personal photo's

Re: going with the trend " vintage"

Sad thing about vintage stuff today the its hard to get the next generation to take on the way u see vintage its a hit.or miss, often what is valuable to you seems like clutter to the next generation and often a lot of good stuff just gets thrown out when u die

I am on of those new age people just toss it not a big collector tho so it may be different

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I hear you Gazza, sadly it is true, However, while there are Penn reels for instance, that were so mass produced thru the 60's 70's and more, there actually isn't really any value to them. BUT, there is some huge dollars been realised in the pre war "special" rarer models, that would probably make you quite surprised. Many will only set you back a few hundred dollars, BUT, I've seen auctions for certain models of early Penn, go well north of the $1000, on a regular basis. When Value is realised by the "new generation" a lot will chase the dollar, there are finds to be made out there, knowledge is your weapon when collecting anything.
    The above reel and box, well, from the Penn records, there were less than a dozen in 1933 of these sold, value is always supply and demand, for near everything. As I mentioned before, I only confirmed the match of the above ( reel to box) very recently and posted it on a vintage forum, there are hard core, deep pocketed collectors, all state side, will pay a small fortune to fill a gap in there collections, I know all sold in 33, wouldn't have survived, hence some of the out rageous offers that I have received is eye watering....

You have some nice, interesting finds there Col. Look after those boxes mate.
    Maybe we should have a dedicated vintage section on the board.
    Reggy

Reggy, I think you've come up with a great idea there !!.
    I'd love to see some more of your Gem's....... and in fact, I think we have some closet collectors / hoarders amongst us, it might be surprising to see what shows up.

Col

looks like a penn squidder ?
    I have my grandfathers who used it to catch kings and hapuka in NZ with gut line and a solid glass rod.

ive been trying to collect some small abu 1500s 2500s to make a set of my first bass reels which I sold on as needed funds as the kids came along
    I currently have a 1500, 2500 2600 iar and couldn't believe the prices I had to pay for a set

personal photo's deleted.

sorry your right
    looked like that bakelite side plates with a star drag and would be 60 years old

Hi Steve, The small Abu's are starting to command real prices now, extremely collectable.
    I try to stick with Penn, purely for cost reasons, if I started going after all the reel brands I like, there would be no funds left for the boat.
    Abu have a strong following on the reel sites, for a reason too, they are a great reel. I've slowly got rid of my modern reels as I've converted old vintage ones over,, and if they didn't work, I'd be straight back on to the moderns..
    Put a photo up when you get a chance of your grandfathers reel, be interested to see what model you have.......

Col

yeah I wish I wanted a different real to be nostalgic over 1500s $600 2500 $600 2500 iar $1k

will do will try and dig it out on the weekend

Hi guys
    Just trying to keep the vintage theme alive, even though a couple of these may be a tad young to qualify.
    Anyhow, someone might be interested or even have or had one of these.
    2410 SHAKES.jpgP1050587.jpgTriton Mark 1.jpgP1030400.jpg

That's an interesting group you've put up there Greg ...
    I'm loving the handle and how clean that 160 is, that's pretty.
    How about a description on the others ???
    As I said, I'm a bit of a Nuff when it comes to most brands outside of Penn, but some interesting ones there for sure...

And Talking of Vintage, I've emptied the bank account out again, on another wee purchase, wont arrive here for a few weeks, that will give me time by when it arrives to get over the bill shock and enjoy it, or so I'm thinking.....LOL

Col

Can't wait to see your purchase Col.
    Yes, the little 160 had me thinking it had a "plastic" handgrip until I received it to find it is wood.

The Shakespeare 2410 has a very smooth felt drag and a great anti reverse system. made 1976-78.
    The Shimano Triton Mark 1 was the forerunner to the Calcutta. It has a very solid frame with all stainless gearing and a dog and ratchet anti reverse and the Mark 2 is just a wider version. Made 1984.
    The ABU Ambassadeur 12 is an IGFA 12 LB class single speed game fishing reel which is the same size as a 9000c. It has chromed brass sideplates.
    It is a 1974 model made in 1983.

cheers
    Reggy

deleted personal photo's

Hi reggy.

I have a ABU 12 which I purchased many many years ago and I still use it and love it. The handle needs replacing but not sure if you can still get parts for them.

Any ideas where you can get parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Hi guys
    Just trying to keep the vintage theme alive, even though a couple of these may be a tad young to qualify.
    Anyhow, someone might be interested or even have or had one of these.
    2410 SHAKES.jpgP1050587.jpgTriton Mark 1.jpgP1030400.jpg