Thread: Trailer Gal Disc Hubs - Big Price differences

Trailer Gal Disc Hubs - Big Price differences

Hi Guys

I need a new set of gal disc hubs and are looking at prices on-line (Brisbane based).

I am amazed to se the price differences of suppliers.

I know I cant name suppliers here ... but one on-line supplier is $46 per hub ... the other supplier is $72.88 per hub.

Both offers are apples for apples ie per hub and include seals, nuts, bearings etc.

My question is ... is the $72 hub twice as good in terms of quality as the $46 offer or not ???

Im guessing of there is a difference it will be galvanizing quality ??

Any thoughts ??

Steve
    Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

Re: Trailer Gal Disc Hubs - Big Price differences

Hubs are not all the same if u look at my recent order i had to buy special hubs that were double the price 140mm to fit my wheels the ordinary hubs half the price are 150mm diameter the same went for my disc hubs i paid something like $240 for 2 pieces because they are special Velox Beehive hubs

Pick your wheels wisely... i didnt!

I royally got ..... in the....

My 4 hubs cost me something around $350 get ya head around that one

2 lazy hubs 2 disc hubs after this trailer i am done with 9inch wheels!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Could be a multitude of reasons. Self import as against purchasing through an Australian distributor, bigger turn over (better buy price), Japanese as against Chinese bearings, different quality and so on. Only way to know for sure would be to check them out.

Try pricing SS disc hubs, you'd think that they were made of gold.

Try these guys if you have not. Excellent service and prices.
    http://vikingrollers.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Try pricing SS disc hubs, you'd think that they were made of gold.
    Think i recall seeing a assembled axle on ebay maybe it was one of the trailer companies aboyt $1800

Hey Gazza, I have just been quoted from a reputable trailer part distributer in Brisbane, 2 complete sets of 12” ss disc setups for well in excess of $5000. They required the Caliper mounts on my axles to be removed and replaced. A complete set of axles with the ss gear was similar price. I have gone with galvanised disc hubs only for about $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Any this is the one i remember seeing, your stepping it up a notch with 12" that alone would raise the price u must have a big boat

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GALVANIS...8AAOSwmrlU1VCD

Lee, not a lot of use to you if your stuck at Noosa without your boat, or did you take it on the assumption the weather bureau may have got it wrong.

No Sam, didn’t take it. Fished for whiting only and got a nice feed. Out for a service on Monday and then back in for a swim before 1770.

Gazza, they are never big enough

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Out of curiosity, how long are the gal set ups lasting? I’ve got 11” stainless disks (Trojan brand) and they will be 10 years old this year.

Depends on care, if washed properly after use, and maintained, galvanised hubs last for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long are the gal set ups lasting? I’ve got 11” stainless disks (Trojan brand) and they will be 10 years old this year.
    My trailer is a 2006. Disks are original, pads have been changed twice - now running stainless backed. Of course I never get to use the boat which may have some bearing on their longevity .