Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question for the fibreglassing guru(s)...peanut butter crunch..

quick question for the fibreglassing guru(s)...peanut butter crunch..

I am building a box for the bow of an HH to take a leccy motor...using resin ,fibres and cabosil to form fillets..catalysed at about 2%.It goes off very quickly....should I make less at one time or reduce catalyst to what....thanks

Re: quick question for the fibreglassing guru(s)...peanut butter crunch..

That will happen when you use double the required amount of MEKP.

Polyester resin usually requires about 1% MEKP catalyst.

1% is plenty and if your in warm to hot temps 3/4 can be plenty too
    What could go wrong.......................

ok many thanks for that..would explain it......interestingly the instruction on the tin from Trojan Industries says use at 2%...

One way to sell more than twice as much as the stuff goes off too fast and you get to mix up more.

Small batches that you have measured out and add the MEKP as your ready for more resin / flocote etc I found worked for me.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    ok many thanks for that..would explain it......interestingly the instruction on the tin from Trojan Industries says use at 2%...
    Maybe 2% in middle of winter when its 12c outside best to contact them by email they reply faster on ebay than by yhere web site

Trojan are helpful they answer all my questions

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

glassing finished for the day..again many thanks...was much easier at 1%...agree Gaz they are ...but ausfish has some very knowledgeable people as well who can sort the problem in 10 minutes...and I am very grateful....

Generally winter resin formulas have more promoter in the mix to compensate for the lower ambient temperature, however all the resins I have ever used (from several different suppliers) still used the 1% ratio for both winter and summer mixes. However it may be that the resin your supplier uses may have a different formula, so I would call them and ask about the 2%.

Inver what resin did u purchase they have the biggest range i have seen of polyester resins from any shop in oz

I will probably be placing a order with them this week i need to look again to see if they have LSE unwaxed

The previous 20L i got from AA Fibreglass stunk so bloody bad i was smelling it for hours after i was finished i even used a mask

yep lse laminating resin

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    yep lse laminating resin
    How is that one on the nose? My previous order of regular stinky resin u get a drop on your clothes your smelling it a good 12 16 hours later and it pongs im not at the.point of throwing up yet...

Cure time is very much dependant on size of the batch and ambient temperature. A pot of resin goes off much faster than a small amount. When spread out it goes off slower. 1% is a ball park figure

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    How is that one on the nose? My previous order of regular stinky resin u get a drop on your clothes your smelling it a good 12 16 hours later and it pongs im not at the.point of throwing up yet...

really cant give you a comparison...generally use the products from Trojan ..without wanting to spruick on their behalf...they have a good turnround time on orders and here in the country I have no local supplier......just remember to order everything you need in the one order to cut down the freight cost....

Yeah i have placed about 8 orders with them now 1 was pick up a bit of a mission drive from me, orders were arriving next day but last 3 orders have come up to 4 working days later

Just a quick question as I did it accidentally and added all ingredients the first time I made a filler, did you make the “crunchy peanut butter” filler first got it to the right consistency and then add the mekp?
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁