Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quick question for the fibreglassing guru(s)...peanut butter crunch..

Re: quick question for the fibreglassing guru(s)...peanut butter crunch..

Fuzz there was a guy a few weeks back that swore by mixing talc into his resin in batches ready for mekp i mentioned he must have arms like arnie to be mixing the mekp thru all that talc...

Either he was bull shitting or he had 2 cups lined up i cant imagine anyone mixing talc in bulk twice with the mekp added after the filler

I mixed 2 cups one morning about 700mls each and i sat there for 15 mins mixing each cup no joke talc is the worse to use its heavy there for really hard on the wrist to mix

I mix up 8 batches of fumed siilica one morning and could have easily gone more

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Depending on the qty to be used, I used to use a paint stirrer with a drill on low speed to mix up larger batches of Bog (Talc and Resin) up to 10lt, and then I could have a ready made supply on hand.
    For small quantities, I would add the MEKP direct into the resin at about 1.5 to 2%, then add the talc and mix quickly as it will go off faster. I found that if you added the MEKP to the bog there was a chance that it might not mix as well, compared to adding the MEKP to the resin and then adding the talc, but that is just what worked for me.

Ed i tried mixing mine with a plastic painters stirer had to use offcut plywood the talc is so dense and u sit there just adding talc..

Hardest filler imo to mix up

Don't know why you had an issue, my "paint stirrer" is a bit of 5-6mm rod with the bottom bent into a triangle shape and I use the lower speed gear on 2 speed drill, never had any issues, I also used to use a bought one which had a cross on the bottom and another about 40mm above it and the plastic arms were about 25mm wide, unfortunately I cannot get a pic of them as they are buried somewhere in the sheds.

Just how much talc are you adding to the resin and how thick is the bog you are using? Depending on the required use, my brews were just thick enough so when I added MEKP the bog would not sag but still be pliable. If I needed it to not sag and fill a decent hole I would add a bit of shredded woven rovings into it as well as Talc. It was still quite pliable though, but if I did add the shredded w/r to the mix, I would also use a brush and just coat over the filled bog with a single coat of catalysed resin just before it started to harden up to smooth it off and flatten the fibers which can stick out a bit from the mix. The fibers help the bog from sagging and also from cracking

Never had any issues with mixing it though!

Hey Ed i found my self adding more and more talc as i mixed it i reckon i added half handfuls atlease 8 times it just seemed like it was taking forever to get the glue mix to a non sag state i was using epoxy and talc only

The plastic S shape painters stirer was bending kinking out of shape

Sorry, I thought that you were using Poly resin, as I mentioned before I have very limited experience in epoxy, having said that I was under the impression that when using epoxy resin that you would use colloidal or fumed silica, microballons or something similar but not Talc.

Talc u can use with poly, vinyl or epoxy just talc is cheap and goes in hand with poly as thats cheap too, the talc and poly is not waterproof but unsure about epoxy and talc i have had plenty of water go thru and run down my filled in bung hole that was talc and epoxy and its fine

May be that is the reason your mix is so hard, possibly using the other materials may give you a bog that is easier to mix, does the job and still does not sag which also may suit the purpose you had in mind. What exactly are you using your bog for?

That was the bog i used on my transom to glue in the ply and fillet, i have been using fumed silica ever since