Thread: Problems with a Northstar F210 fuel flow meter

Problems with a Northstar F210 fuel flow meter

I am having problems with a Northstar F210 fuel flow meter in the boat. Before Northstar, I understand they were Navman fuel flow meters.

It has stopped calculating the fuel flow rate. The dash gauge appears to work fine as I can enter and change fuel totals and the like, however with the motor running the fuel flow is reading zero.

This results in that the gauge is not reducing the fuel in the tank by the flow amount and so have no idea as to the fuel available. I have run out once because of this and looking to avoid it again.

The trouble shooting section of instruction manual advises to disconnect the transducer (which is the device in the fuel line and blow through it and if a whistle is heard – it’s working.

Done that and get the whistle but still no fuel flow reading.

The easy option would be to buy a new transducer – if I could get one, Northstar don’t make these anymore and company was sold to Simrad who don’t do these transducers either.

I like the idea of the accuracy of the fuel flow meter. The motor is an old carby Mercury so the option available with current motors of running it through the sounder does not appear to be an option.

If I am misinformed, please educate me.

I have tried Gumtree etc.

Anyone know of options or where I may pick up a replacement transducer?

cheers
    Stevet

Re: Problems with a Northstar F210 fuel flow meter

What GPS are you running. There are in line type sensors for NMEA2000 systems that will work - of course you need the applicable NMEA compatible GPS as well if you don't already have one. You will get no help from Navico on the old one. Only hope would be a dealer with old stock or second hand.

I am running a Lowrance Carbon

I was hoping not to go to a NMEA system - but if I have to.

Lowrance make a fuel flow sensor that you can use.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/lowran...nd-t-connector

They are of course NMEA2000 and will only work when connected to a simple NMEA2000 network. As are the alternatives.

They really are very easy to set up. pretty much just plug it all together and away you go.

There is a network kit available that has everything you need to set it up.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/lowran...00-starter-kit

Since you have HDS system, stick with the Lowrance sensor and network kit.

The only thing I would say is to follow the installation instructions for the sensor EXACTLY as things like the angle of the fuel line that the sensor goes into are indeed critical. The few times I have heard of issues are usually where someone has ignored these instructions and then found out why they shouldnt have.

You probably have your current sensor in the line AFTER a fuel filter so that should be good. And most likely the position its in will be very similar to where the Lowrance one should go. If no fuel filter is fitted, that is a likely cause of problems as the little paddle wheel can get clogged with gunk.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....