Thread: Mercury Shuts off In Forward or Revers Gear

Mercury Shuts off In Forward or Revers Gear

Used our 1/2 Cab Boat and the 50HP ELPT 4Stroke motor yesterday, out from the ramp notice it was running a bit rough, then realised I had not undone the vent screw on top of the fuel tank. Then the motor ran OK.

Much later in choppie/windy conditions, started up the motor, it started up OK, then when I put the idle control back down the motor stopped prior to me putting the motor into gear. Started the motor again and it would rev up in Neutral and then die prior to a gear change. Tried a number of times.

Added 2 stroke oil to the tank and traveled back to the ramp on my Aux Motor ( the auxiliary motor will go a long way in a long time)

Am wondering if its just an idling speed adjustment.

Putting the motor into Forward, the prop spins freely in one direction and I can slightly move the prop in the other direction ( ie turn over the motor) so to me the lower end is not frozen

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Re: Mercury Shuts off In Forward or Revers Gear

Never turn a 4 stroke engine in the opposite rotation to normal rotating direction because the timing chain tensioner will take up slack and put the timing off

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Once the motor is in gear the prop shouldn't spin freely. Not on any motor I've owned anyway - no four strokes though??

Tried the motor at home and it went into gear OK, will definitely have it checked out prior to next outing.

Maybe be the idle speed or something along the lines of the 2nd answer in the thread below where the ignition is cutoff for an instant between going from neutral to in gear.
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4150245AAhd0WA

I dont think the neutral switch effects the engine once its running it is only there to stop u starting the engine in gear its a good device and should only ever be disconnected to diagnose a problem

Once started a engine with this disconnected by a previous owner and engine was in gear she booted off and i fell ontop of the engine lucky as not to go overboard

I think your problem would be fuel and or fuel flow and jelly fuel in the lines she just needs a good clean out and by running a engine hard does not clean it out u need to mechanically pull apart the filter, hoses, dry out tank etc..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Is it possible that the engine is stalling because of there is an problem with the prop spline ? Maybe fishing line ?
    Can you remove the prop and check the whole coupling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk