Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydraulic steering ram

hydraulic steering ram

My current setup with my hydraulic steering just doesnt seem to turn sharp enough when I need it too. This is particularly annoying when maneuvering around other boats at boat ramps and in marinas. The current length of the ram shaft is about 200mm which gives me 100mm of movement for turning both left and right.. Im thinking if I increase the length of it I should get the boat to turn sharper. Does anybody know where I can purchase the rams for the steering. I cant find anywhere that sells the ram only, they all sell the whole kit, or is this amount of movement about normal??
    thanks

JC

Re: hydraulic steering ram

Have you checked the attachment on the tiller to make sure you cant move the coonection to give more steering angle. As for purchasing, contact hydrive qld.

Ausfish New Member

Try Marine Control Systems located on the Gold Coast. I had them install my hydrolic steering and did a terrific job. They manufacture custom parts and also most well know brands.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app

You can't just increase turn both ways with extra length, one way will be less, hydraulic steering is not as "direct" as cable, there is more turns lock to lock.

Can u have someone machine something up on a lathe? Im not the best and only have a Hobbymat MD65 or i'd offer to help u out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

If u wanna give me an idea on what your trying to do maybe some pictures happy to try make it.on the lathe if not to expensive for me to cover the cost

Some pics of your setup would be helpful
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

+1 Some pics

Or get a knob for your steering wheel, it should just clamp on, providing it won't get in your way it is extremely quick to turn that wheel .

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Or get a knob for your steering wheel, it should just clamp on, providing it won't get in your way it is extremely quick to turn that wheel .
    Problem I found with the knob and hydraulic steering is the position always changes, if that doesn’t matter they are good addition
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Problem I found with the knob and hydraulic steering is the position always changes, if that doesn’t matter they are good addition
    First time i have read that, so there is no steering lock that would be awkward if your ocd lol it would drive someone mad not having there steering wheel return to normal position like a car

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    First time i have read that, so there is no steering lock that would be awkward if your ocd lol it would drive someone mad not having there steering wheel return to normal position like a car

Yeah mine is a the same. I drive a front end loader for work and it behaves the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hydraulic steering, I don't have the knob but have considered getting one. Now if the position keeps changing I would consider that unusual as my steering wheel always ends up in the same position. The only thing I can think of what is happening is either their is lots of air in the system or there is a leak in the system. A mate has both the knob and hydraulic system and it never changes podition.

It's normal - caused by small amounts of oil getting past the seal on the piston or in other areas within the helm. The amount that gets past will vary from ram to ram. Not uncommon even with new steering to be able to continuously turn under pressure (lots of it) at a very slow speed. The same thing or a leaking lock valve (the valves that stop the engine torque pushing back in hydraulic steering) can also cause a motor to "fall down" or flop to one side over time while trailering - especially if it's not centred when tilted up.

Yeah i think a relief would be incorperated in the hydraulic steering design can u imagine if there wrre no leaks you'd possibly blow seals out if u could continously turn the steering with no kind relief