Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chop is Fine, Trust me Chop is fine, Is Chop Fine Captain Ted???

Chop is Fine, Trust me Chop is fine, Is Chop Fine Captain Ted???

What 80knots and 8 metre waves will do...…..who'd have thought .

20200302_113058.jpg20200302_113527.jpg

That wave break in front of the hydraulic power pack is 10mm steel plate with 100mm x 10mm stiffeners. It used to be straight. Didn't get a copy of the picture of the truck that was on the deck that had front and rear screens punched out, the corner torn off the fibreglass bumper and the headlight punched out.

Never been so happy to be off the water doing maintenance.

Re: Chop is Fine, Trust me Chop is fine, Is Chop Fine Captain Ted???

Scott dont worry about lining up for toilet paper im sure u threw the Bonds over the side mid way lol

I have been in and around shipping containers i think they are only strong from a vertical point of view, horizontal they are not very structual, the side walls are engineered to have a much larger surface area than the wall its self which gives it a lot of ability to carry a load but only at specific locations you can see the corners are hugely reinforced with solid steel

U often hear of people burrying these containers as shelter and they cave in and kill people its the stupidest idea ever

However they work really well stacked due to the outside reinforcement yhe side sheeting just stops it from falling like an escilator with its huge area of.mass steel sheeting

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Luckily Gazza I wasn't on board. The bloody things make me crook so when my ticket came due for renewal at ridiculous cost, I let it go amd took a shore based maintenance position. They can't send me now 😆. It's hard to see from the picture but the corner pillars are twisted and bowed as well.

When u think about ships and how high they are from the water surface than think of a wave making it up that high than think 1m3 is 1 ton of water u think holly shit!

Plus the force of all those tons of water.. the force would be incredible

Missus just arrived back in Argentina from Antartica and I was watching the weather apps on the trip back through drakes passage

Seas got to a 6m wave height and her response was you didn’t get a second of reprieve from either your feet or head being higher then the other while lying down

First cruise for her so was an eye opener

Well..its kind of awesome in its way...these are elemental forces ..perhaps even furies...and thank you.... its always the case that .....we should be prepared but humble ..this is not our domain...and yes never been in those seas...but been in the Atlantic in winter.....you just see how puny we really are.....oh and the North Sea...only time I have been so sick..

Imagine the internal fortitude of those that took it on crewing a square rigger.

Ive seen a pic of a storage shed on the Ampol Sarel leaning at a bit of a angle after submarining thought a bit of chop.
    It just goes to show how powerful the sea can be and what sailers go through every day on the job.
    Last edited by chris69; 05-03-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding

This forum is genuinely infested with idiots.

And apparently there’s “hundreds” of people perusing the forum to gain knowledge? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post

And apparently there’s “hundreds” of people perusing the forum to gain knowledge? I think not.
    Yep, one way to kill a thread......

Col

I honestly think those "views" are a total of people who have vied the particular thread or group in the last 24 hours we just dont get those kind of numbers here anymore there are barely any new topics per week

This site was buzzin a few years ago, a lot of people are going to facebook

Did I miss something?

Noelm, I was asleep also.

I must be very short. That went way over my head.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..