Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Icekool 200 litre Mackie box - worth the money..?

Re: Icekool 200 litre Mackie box - worth the money..?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What percentage of esky buyers use dry ice ? Why is it that other top brands dont do this ? ...... finally the gas will work it's way out through the seals ....

chris
    Yeah good questions..

I guess it's possible it was made like that on purpose, but it does sound a little bit like a "cover up" I don't know one person that uses dry ice, so building a gap in an esky to allow gas to escape is appealing to a very tiny market, couldn't they just put a "bung" high up near the top and achieve the same thing?

Disorderly: To me that doesn't sound right either, in my opinion and take that for what it's worth, whether you use dry ice or plain ice, the hot air doesn't escape through the gap, as the inside contents cool down the hot air will also cool down and contract and then as the air gets colder it will suck more hot air into the box from the outside. Which is why if any of you have had a freezer with a bad seal you would have found ice crystals around it where warmer air with moisture was drawn into the freezer and crystallized around the gap as it cooled down.

As for using dry ice inside a freezer you have to make sure that it is well protected from the insides of the freezer walls, when placed directly on to Gelcoat/fiberglass, it may cause bubbling, as the moisture in the Gelcoat will freeze and expand causing the bubbling effect. Gelcoat and fiberglass are not 100% impervious to moisture absorption and will absorb a small amount, placing dry ice directly on the polypropylene side may cause it to become brittle and crack. As for the expanding CO2 gas, it will pressurize the freezer till it will build up enough pressure and lift the lid slightly and the gas will escape past the seals or just force its way past the seals in the first place.

You could also ring another manufacturer such as Techni-ice and ask them for their opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah good questions..
    so few places have it that most people have found their way around using dry ice

Hey mate. I had one for years.
    The lid warped quite badly after only a few years. It was bad enough that it popped hinges on one end constantly.
    I still used it for a long time, for day trips ect. But I would buy another one.

cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Hey mate. I had one for years.
    The lid warped quite badly after only a few years. It was bad enough that it popped hinges on one end constantly.
    I still used it for a long time, for day trips ect. But I would buy another one.

cheers
    Rob
    Hi mate, just to clarify that it was a Technie Ice that I ended up buying rather then Icekool..

Which brand was yours..?...

Just got off the phone from Graeme from Technie ice..

He assures me the shape is intentional and is too allow gases to escape from using dry ice...he also said that with normal ice having the gap between the inner seal and the lip will allow hot air to escape thus making the ice last longer..

I can accept the dry ice theory but not sure about the other..

Now I know very little about thermodynamics but personally whether its a fridge, freezer or icebox I would have thought the better the seal the better colder the box...

Is he feeding me a line or is he fairdinkum…?

BTW this is the seals..on the lid the edges are square so that inner seal doesn't come in contact with much of the front edge due to the convex shape of the front wall of the box..

Attachment 121718
    That line about letting the hotter air out is pure BS.

All thermal insulation materials work on a single basic principle: heat moves from warmer to colder areas. Therefore, on cold days, heat from inside a building seeks to get outside. And on warmer days, the heat from outside the building seeks to get inside.

The esky works to the same principle.

So hotter air outside seeks to get into your esky. Its hard to imagine the air inside the esky being hotter than the air outside.....
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    That line about letting the hotter air out is pure BS.

All thermal insulation materials work on a single basic principle: heat moves from warmer to colder areas. Therefore, on cold days, heat from inside a building seeks to get outside. And on warmer days, the heat from outside the building seeks to get inside.

The esky works to the same principle.

So hotter air outside seeks to get into your esky. Its hard to imagine the air inside the esky being hotter than the air outside.....
    That is unless you buy a Techni Ice (apparently)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My brother had a large Evacool and it a very similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was a techni ice.

Doh! Just realised it was a tongue in cheek response. Maybe because it was a white one that it needs an 11 mm gap. Sorry but that is absolute BS. Honestly, call them out for what it is and either get a refund or a replacement.

Disorderly, is this the 1100mm long mackerel box. I checked my mates and both of his are quite neat and in line. He does have 4 clips across the front, bit hard to see yours on my phone.

Have you still got the big Origin Diesel, Dave..?...That would be a bit of overkill for Whiting too I imagine..
    Hi Scott. Sorry I missed your reply. Yes, we still have the Origin and while it’s overkill for what we do these days, it makes boating comfortable for our mob of four, especially when running back to Manly from Moreton in an summer arvo breeze. You never know; one day we might make a return to the north!

Re the seals and advice from Techni Ice; they are full of shit! All good esky should have a lid that when closed forms an air tight seal. If using dry ice, just don’t latch the lid down.