Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just have to have a look

Sometimes you just have to have a look

Hey all

I'm not one to drool over boats - let alone jump in anyone I get to see …… If I'm buying - I pretty well know what I want down to 2 or 3 options - anyhoos I had the chance on the weekend to jump inside a boat that blew my mind with it's potential

OK without much further ado it was the Stabicraft 2250 Centrecab

so from the outset it is still a pretty ugly boat on the trailer - in the water it's ok. ….. It's what's inside that impressed me - it had the kind of deck space that you'd expect from a "Cat" to put it into perspective - it's 32cm wider (inside gunnel to gunnel) than my 615 Barcrusher WR (Centre Console) The cockpit length was just over 2 1/4m for a total of nearly 4.5 m2 …… & this is a boat that comes in at 6.85m. That's some pretty good room to fish from.

The other standout feature is that this is a true walk around ….. not no narrow pathway where it's easy to fall overboard - with most of the width being around 25-35cm (approx.) with hand rails that would actually be useful leading up to a small cast deck with usable fishability. That rail coming up to your thighs & higher
    The cabin area was certainly functional & two people could sleep in there for those overnighters.... via extendable bunks

I have to say this was a pretty impressive layout & very well thought out

It's still ugly though

I wonder how much you can get for a used kidney

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Sometimes you just have to have a look

Making good inroads to the Boating market from the looks of it Chris??, and i am one to drool over Boats lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Making good inroads to the Boating market from the looks of it Chris??, and i am one to drool over Boats lol..
    I walked past my bias & was thoroughly impressed …… this would be a great boat to fish out of . I could certainly see myself doing those big trips up north with the ability t carry enough fuel & spend several nights tucked away at some island etc . for under 7m it's a hell of a lot of boat .
    I've already worked out that you could put out a camp stretcher on the deck both lengthwise & sideways ….. that's a lot of room & it will still come in under 3 tonne loaded with fuel & gear .

chris.
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thut blick colour wouldn't be too choice up north aye gil. But i am so glad thut ut hid sux fush holders un the gunnels and thit dick wash looked choice as. Thit crunk hundle wunch looked a but pessy and would 200 be enough on a sux point eight metre fush machine? Thit walk around wuth the stip up does look the goods, I'd even say ut looks funtistuc. And I thunk he said it had ewe-dick which guves the trinsom plenty of grup when its wit.

Stull ugly but.

Nice effort there Ray...funny stuff indeed...

200K of butt ugliness when you could go close to half that money for a QLD built platey with the similar internal dimensions....

No comparison size wise with a BC though given that BC are a much smaller volume boat for comparative lengths...

Maybe you have to be a cold water boaty or New Zealander to really appreciate the Stabi...

In all seriousness though what is it that the average rec boater would like about this vessel....though I can understand charter guys or pro fishers in Tassie considering it..

yeah i can say i was struck down with a case of drool , i heard it before i saw it , supercharged mercury pushing this white 2250 on the water, it was at that moment that a tattslotto win and upgrade would need to happen

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    yeah i can say i was struck down with a case of drool , i heard it before i saw it , supercharged mercury pushing this white 2250 on the water, it was at that moment that a tattslotto win and upgrade would need to happen
    or just get a Chinese built 25 footer for 40-45K...….

https://gospelboat.en.made-in-china....ng-Around.html

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Nice effort there Ray...funny stuff indeed...

200K of butt ugliness when you could go close to half that money for a QLD built platey with the similar internal dimensions....

No comparison size wise with a BC though given that BC are a much smaller volume boat for comparative lengths...

Maybe you have to be a cold water boaty or New Zealander to really appreciate the Stabi...

In all seriousness though what is it that the average rec boater would like about this vessel....though I can understand charter guys or pro fishers in Tassie considering it..
    I've not seen any Qld built 6.8 centre cab that would come close to the fit out & fishability of the 2250 ……. AMM do a nice 7m but it's not a "petch" on the Stabi & will cost you similar coin anyway.

I see this as a great "choice" for anyone who wants to do long range / overnighters ….. some casting .
    Full cabin boats are too limited IMHO - this boat would give the best of both worlds .

The boat I had a look at was running a 225 Yammi 4 stroke & would push this boat at near to 40knots ….. it's rated to a 300 which would be some serious get up & go .

There is no doubt that Stabis ride well …… so I don't think it would be a bad choice for anywhere in Australia north or south

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ive not been in one Chris so I'll have to take your word on it.....when you are talking fishability what attributes are you actually referring to that make the stabi better than a custom designed platey...?

Ausfish Platinum Member

There is a review on a 2750 here , courtesy of Matt Watson In Unzud. Honestly, I'm not really sold. If I pay at least $400K, and I have no doubt that this one would cost that, I'd actually want more. BTW, I am a fan of Matts', he does great stuff.
    1) They are indisputably ugly. ####ing ugly in fact. I don't care how much fake carbon fibre you stick on it, it looks like a collection of scrap metal painted black.
    2) Features. Features? Well, some shit that don't really contribute to actual fishing. But the bloke does catch fish, I'l never argue that.
    3) For me, this is the big one. Overnighters? Pay that much for a boat and it's only good for 2, at best, overnight? We won't even talk about how noisy plateys are up front on the pick. And please don't argue, I spent 20 years with aluminium commercial hulls trying to sleep on board. Hideous. Cramped up front,no, Matt, its not like a queen size, very narrow with gaps in the foam. And you need to move the bedding to get at stuff stored underneath. As for the 3rd bed, are you joking? He's only about 5' 9", and his feet were hanging over the end on that "bed", narrow as well. But it would certainly make a good place to watch the spread, which is it's primary use.
    4) NO WATER TANK? or pump. Says he doesn't need it. Obviously doesn't do overnighters, and I don't blame him with that rig. Jeez, even for just washing down the gear, end of day on an extended trip, as I do. I guess it isn't as warm as the places we go, in NZ. And no shitter. Really? And no swim platform to take the place of it. We carry a porta potti for the days it just too rugged to hang your *rse over the side. Lives in a compartment when not in use.
    5) He has great outrigger bases. In fact the same as mine. And I got the idea for them from his video on his last boat. Icemaker could be useful, but 12kg per 24 hours will only keep up with the beer, not fish.
    6) " 3500kg towing on the mighty 200 series". I'll bet that weighs more than 3500kg--basic weight of a 2750 BMT,, single engine, is 3500 Kg "approx"-- he has a half tonne of Etecs there, for a start. On a steel trailer which has to weigh at least 800kg. Dry hull weight is 1990 kg approx. You reckon he is legal?
    7) Ride? Any ride qualities it has would be down to sheer size and weight. To sum it up, you'd get far better value and ride from a locally made 2400 Caribbean. At half the price. Or go to a 2700 and blow it away. For a lot less dough.

This should be the sort of boat that, over here, you'd be taking out to the Montebellos, Abrolhos, Carnarvons and Exmouths offshore islands. Extended trips, a week or more at a time. Over in Q'land, out to the reef . . But it's just a day tripper. Would you pay that for a daytripper? Maybe I'm looking at this wrong--Daytripping prioritised, uncomfortable overnights for 3 or four if you want to bring swags along. Whatever.

Give me glass any day. The Kiwis seem to love their ally's but no matter what you do to it they just dont feel/look the same imo. Understand if you want something big and light Ally is the WTG (this doesnt look light).

Like all things, I wouldn't put much faith in that paid review, I have been in my mates Stabi many times, it is well fitted out, but, for me, that's where it stops, they are not my "cup of tea" and certainly not destined to be on a must have list.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Stuff like the Surtees and Stabicraft came about from people wanting to launch a reasonable size boat at often non-existent facilities. Ever seen them tractor launch 6m boats from a beach? Recovery normally entails dragging them up and dry loading them. There are long stretches of coast in NZ with no facilities at all, maybe just a tiny inlet mouth too shallow to get through and a bit of shelter behind a headland. Just go onto Youtube and enter "boat launching new zealand " in the search bar. Here's one

But when you get to 27 foot, you aren't doing it anyway.

The main benefits of a stabi are increased buoyancy and stability provided by the pontoons for additional safety. Not designed for the catwalk

400K not to mention running , maint etc costs buys you one heck of a lot of Swains or other fishing charters with cleaning afterwards .
    Food on the table each day , Fish cleaned n filleted for you and no storage for the boat worries wit h change leftover.
    Buy a tinny quarter the cost not so big easier to handle and still do overnighters with less worry .
    But like previouse said , good to drool over .