Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you just have to have a look

Re: Sometimes you just have to have a look

Though if your of mind to spend why not one of these for overnighting or offshoring for a few days..

Fishing around those motors with that transom setup would be a real PITA imo.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    The main benefits of a stabi are increased buoyancy and stability provided by the pontoons for additional safety. Not designed for the catwalk

lots of excellent, proven hulls out there that weren't designed for the catwalk, either, but still look good.

Nagg where did you measure the cockpit length from. Is it back of drivers seats to transom inside. So total fishing room.

Fricken awesome machine !!!!
    Don't care about looks, just performance on the water, which most plate builds aspire too and practical layout, it's a win win for me, not that I'll ever have the coin to buy one......... These things are absolute beasts in conditions most others don't venture out in, there not alone in this ability, but just kidding one self if anyone thinks the average plate build matches these for performance.... This guy has personalised the be- jesus out of his, some mod's are truly personal and expensive........ to me,it seems today, it's all about the look of the boat for blokes, these don't appeal to that type, I would put one of these "ugly ducklings" in my shed any day of the week.......... just my view, kinda picking others will have different views

Col

My on water experience in a Stabi is limited to a single day trip to Peel Island. I had to help a mate who at the time was doing ad design etc for Leisure Marine who had been tasked with setting up a kid's treasure hunt for their upcoming Mustang owners club function. The weather was absolute shit - 25-30 knots from the south east. The Raby bay carpark was empty. When he rolled in towing a big Stabi hard top sporting a 225 Honda at least I knew we would stay dry. To say I was impressed with the ride would be an understatement. I kept bending my knees and bracing for bangs that never came. Would I buy one - probably not. As Ranmar mentioned, trying to sleep in a big tin can - especially something that has a big reverse chine up front is something I find almost impossible to do. I'm also not a massive fan of not having nowhere for your toes to go when you are fishing - this may have changed - been a while since I looked at one. Looks - neither here nor there IMO. Safety though - right up there with the best. Anything that will float high enough with a cockpit as full as it can be with water that it gives you a realistic chance of bailing it dry is a good thing. Leisure used to put one in a swimming pool at the Brisbane boat show with a pump that continuously filled the thing with water.

Ive had 21 &20ft tinnys fer yonks till the Van came along and spent many an overnighter out wide behind an Island or out in the open and yes the plonk plonk plonk of the water against thei hull annoying at first til one gets used to it and then just like having a house beside a railway line, you get used to it .. Still get the same with Glass but not as pronounced but i would still take Alloy over Glass any day and that just my preference not that i would say one is better than the other at days end .
    Just have to adjust your speed to conditions is all with Alloy ...And come fuel economy ?? my tinnies had me being able to afford the trips ..

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    lots of excellent, proven hulls out there that weren't designed for the catwalk, either, but still look good.
    Maybe in your opinion. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Stabi looks better than a BC

I'm normally a function over form person but no matter how good people say Stabis are I'm not buying one with my money. What you lot do with your money is up to you. The faux carbon fibre wrap on the boat in the YouTube clip would also get a no vote if I was paying the bill.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I'm normally a function over form person but no matter how good people say Stabis are I'm not buying one with my money. What you lot do with your money is up to you. The faux carbon fibre wrap on the boat in the YouTube clip would also get a no vote if I was paying the bill.

Matt
    Ugly is an understatement.

More hate for the Stabi than the Hydro!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Ugly is an understatement.

More hate for the Stabi than the Hydro!

Does the Stabi come with in built stink like the Hydro?

I went fir a drive in a stabi a workmate had bought about 10 years ago and although a great ride I soon realised there was very little in the way of any storage for fishing gear and in his boat at least no way of locking myself in if having to fight a decent fish. Maybe they've changed, I will have to go and have a gander.

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Give me glass any day. The Kiwis seem to love their ally's but no matter what you do to it they just dont feel/look the same imo. Understand if you want something big and light Ally is the WTG (this doesnt look light).
    From my time over there, a lot of boats are launched from the beach, from what I saw, I wouldn't want to do it with a fibreglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Maybe in your opinion. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Stabi looks better than a BC
    01 CASTN.jpg In what universe does a stabi look better than this ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    My on water experience in a Stabi is limited to a single day trip to Peel Island. I had to help a mate who at the time was doing ad design etc for Leisure Marine who had been tasked with setting up a kid's treasure hunt for their upcoming Mustang owners club function. The weather was absolute shit - 25-30 knots from the south east. The Raby bay carpark was empty. When he rolled in towing a big Stabi hard top sporting a 225 Honda at least I knew we would stay dry. To say I was impressed with the ride would be an understatement. I kept bending my knees and bracing for bangs that never came. Would I buy one - probably not. As Ranmar mentioned, trying to sleep in a big tin can - especially something that has a big reverse chine up front is something I find almost impossible to do. I'm also not a massive fan of not having nowhere for your toes to go when you are fishing - this may have changed - been a while since I looked at one. Looks - neither here nor there IMO. Safety though - right up there with the best. Anything that will float high enough with a cockpit as full as it can be with water that it gives you a realistic chance of bailing it dry is a good thing. Leisure used to put one in a swimming pool at the Brisbane boat show with a pump that continuously filled the thing with water.
    & there is the option to fill them with foam …… which would make it unsinkable

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO