Thread: Attaching clamp on stainless rod holders to painted boat railings.

Attaching clamp on stainless rod holders to painted boat railings.

rocket launchers.jpg

So I need to attach about 6 of these style holder to a grab rail at the back of the Hardtop and some with the clamp in the middle to the grab rails around the walk around cab....

Any idea of the best way to do this...should I just accept that when I tighten with the allen key that it will bite into the paint and also cause corrosion from dissimilar metals or is there a better way to go about this...?

I also cant find the style in the photos with proper welded gimble pins.....I was thinking of either a piece of stainless with a couple of spot welds inside the tube or drilling 2 holes and somehow putting a pin through..
    any ideas..?.

Re: Attaching clamp on stainless rod holders to painted boat railings.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    rocket launchers.jpg

So I need to attach about 6 of these style holder to a grab rail at the back of the Hardtop and some with the clamp in the middle to the grab rails around the walk around cab....

Any idea of the best way to do this...should I just accept that when I tighten with the allen key that it will bite into the paint and also cause corrosion from dissimilar metals or is there a better way to go about this...?

I also cant find the style in the photos with proper welded gimble pins.....I was thinking of either a piece of stainless with a couple of spot welds inside the tube or drilling 2 holes and somehow putting a pin through..
    any ideas..?.
    Most of these style holders often come with an insert, sometimes black plastic or rubber that fits onto the rail. You could probably find something similar around the place. I have some silicone impregnated cork sheets that would do the job.

I am thinking something similar. Go to somewhere like clark rubber, get something that you can cut and trim to size, and put it in between the rail and mount. Rubber grips, no dissimilar metal stuff and it won't scratch the painted rail.

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    I am thinking something similar. Go to somewhere like clark rubber, get something that you can cut and trim to size, and put it in between the rail and mount. Rubber grips, no dissimilar metal stuff and it won't scratch the painted rail.
    Even though painted you need to get the correct rubber as most will cause corrosion in contact with ally. Scottar can tell you which one it is. Proprietary fittings come with the correct rubber.

The only way a rail mount fitting won't rotate under load is if it's grub screwed or it actually bites into the alloy in my experience. If you are only fishing for small bread and butter type stuff you can get away with it but once you start fitting holders that can deal with heavier line classes, I found I had to drill and tap a grub screw into the rail - I was running plastic rail mount fittings as isolators under the stainless holders though - which still caused corrosion as they held the salt and moisture against the rail. You could try putting a silicone grip mat under the fitting - rubber has a carbon content that will react with the alloy if contact is made. I basically came to the conclusion that unless all moisture can be kept out of a join - even with isolation, that corrosion was inevitable. My current standard practise is to isolate with a plastic insert but also seal it so no moisture can get between the plastic and the alloy. No issues with it in my tinnie to date. could be a bit tricky with rod holders though. I used these on my last can with two plastic rod holder rail adaptors and a backing plate to stop the adaptors cracking - I had them done up that tight and under load they would still slip without the grub screw.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/1729484020...SABEgJwRvD_BwE

Whitworths does have an angle adjustable rod holder designed for rail mounting in alloy - made by Deck Tech. Bit pricey but may be an alternative??

https://www.whitworths.com.au/deck-t...ium-rod-holder

3/16" SS screws & nyloc nuts works well for gimbal pins, cut & dress the screws to the perfect length just enough to engage the nyloc part.

Thanks guys..some good advice there..

Yeah Scott definitely will need a grub screw and Fed yeah no worries that sounds like the best solution...

and dignity and Ray I have a look around and see if I can get some cork, rubber or plastic or between the 2 metal surfaces but as Scott mentioned unless I seal it well salt will get under the surface and cause drama...

Whereabouts are you, I'm Caloundra way if it helps.

just be careful, haw heavy rods you putting in ,they will brake off the base and you will lose the rod .
    I use to putt extra tag welds on my just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Whereabouts are you, I'm Caloundra way if it helps.
    yeah drop by for a beer anytime...I just up the road near Cairns..

Quote Originally Posted by MyWay View Post
    just be careful, haw heavy rods you putting in ,they will brake off the base and you will lose the rod .
    I use to putt extra tag welds on my just to be sure.
    Yeah I had a old rod butt snap clean off with a hit while trolling one day.....a lanyard at each holder is a must I reckon..

Not quite sure what setup I will use yet but something that doesn't have a clip banging around on the gunnel or inside of the boat..

I'd just buy some adhesive deck tread and rap it around the hand rail.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    I'd just buy some adhesive deck tread and rap it around the hand rail.
    I might give that a go..

I drilled some holes for gimble pins today so i just have to drill some holes for grubs screws now...

That got me wondering about what angle to fix the holders on hand rails and rocket launchers on the top....

The holders for fishing will be mounted on the bow rail , amidship and towards the bow on both sides of the centrecab, mainly be for floating lines for mackeral,

As for the rocket launchers any ideas..?