Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone imported lately

Anyone imported lately

I'm interested to here from anyone that has imported any rod blanks and bits lately and was there any added tax from this end.

I've done all the research here and just can't get what I'm after really, it boils down too buying something and building something you don't really want or paying just a little more and importing to get what you want.

Re: Anyone imported lately

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    I'm interested to here from anyone that has imported any rod blanks and bits lately and was there any added tax from this end.

I've done all the research here and just can't get what I'm after really, it boils down too buying something and building something you don't really want or paying just a little more and importing to get what you want.
    If it is already in Australia GST will be included, if coming from overseas it will be added irrelevant of the cost.

We're I put the order in Dignity when you put in your country it takes the tax off all be it $14 on a $256 order that's US dollars.

Just not sure if I'll get stung GST when it arrives here.

I was purchasing automotive gear from Rock Auto in the states but then once when i went to order some gear i noticed the AUS$ had been removed from the currency options, As it turned out they decided they were no longer going to sell to Aus because of the GST. They must have got quite a bit of feedback and alas they have now registered to collect the GST and resumed selling to Australian customers.

In the interim however another leading spare parts mob in the states were continuing to sell to Aus and many purchasers reported there orders came through just as they did prior to the changes. Many said they just " assumed " the system is swamped and just not possible or feasible to chase up every imported private purchase.

I don't know if any of that helps at all eh ?.

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    I was purchasing automotive gear from Rock Auto in the states but then once when i went to order some gear i noticed the AUS$ had been removed from the currency options, As it turned out they decided they were no longer going to sell to Aus because of the GST. They must have got quite a bit of feedback and alas they have now registered to collect the GST and resumed selling to Australian customers.

In the interim however another leading spare parts mob in the states were continuing to sell to Aus and many purchasers reported there orders came through just as they did prior to the changes. Many said they just " assumed " the system is swamped and just not possible or feasible to chase up every imported private purchase.

I don't know if any of that helps at all eh ?.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve yer I thought it would have been hard too collect the money side of things and with these over seas shops its to easy to put samples on the box.

Paypal as well as others are required to collect and pass on the GST. Usually shows up on your final payment. I have had the odd supplier discount the item first to make up for it.
    It's a bit disconcerting originally when I started buying something and the end price was dearer, sure enough GST is applied. Many suppliers bring items into Australia and their price already includes GST even though they show up as being from US, China etc. Best way to check is delivery times, if delivery is offered within 2 weeks of order the goods are already in a warehouse somewhere, any longer then coming from OS and GST will be applied generally. The US can be an exception on delivery, their postal service runs rings around Aust Post whose tracking advice is regularly out of sync with actual delivery e.g. cupboard drawer slides according to tracking were still in transit yet I received them today an hour after I got a text saying it was coming.

Ive do lots of importing 3 days to get to Alexandra Sydney then 3 day to get to my door step ,ive just not done it since it all changed, Harvey Norman is all to blame for this,I'd buy a United composite blank from Australia and it's owned by Australians but there don't stock the blank I want because there made in the USA so they only bring in what they sell here .

There's a lot of blanks getting made outside of the US even the good old name brands have gone over seas to build them to cut costs but quality has dropped big time.

Not sure if you are trying to beat GST or just don’t know how the process works, so have a read of this it may answer your questions. Good Luck

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/buying-online

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Ive do lots of importing 3 days to get to Alexandra Sydney then 3 day to get to my door step ,ive just not done it since it all changed, Harvey Norman is all to blame for this,I'd buy a United composite blank from Australia and it's owned by Australians but there don't stock the blank I want because there made in the USA so they only bring in what they sell here .

There's a lot of blanks getting made outside of the US even the good old name brands have gone over seas to build them to cut costs but quality has dropped big time.
    You're lucky, I've had parcels from the US land in Sydney after only 3 or 4 days with tracking that shows every individual step and that included travelling through 3 states and their custom clearance yet take 8 days to then get to the Sunshine Coast with tracking updated usually in the wee hours of the morning for the previous day.
    There are a number of Aussie traders (Dinga for example) that are extremely quick in sending parcels, on one occasion ordered Monday morning and delivery Wednesday morning, Aus Post tracking still said "received from supplier" when I checked.

Love the way that is worded, Essentially what it isn't saying but inferring is if we are not busy you will be slugged if we are busy and inundated you won't.

Goods with a value of AUD1000 or less

The value of the goods and how they arrive in Australia will determine how we clear them for delivery to you and what duty, taxes and charges may apply.
    Goods (excluding tobacco, tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) with a value of AUD1000 or less are referred to as low value imports. From 1 July 2018, the GST may apply to these goods when imported from overseas by consumers in Australia.
    If these goods arrive in Australia by air or sea cargo, they must have a Self-Assessed Clearance (SAC) Declaration. There is no charge for this declaration. This will be taken care of by the cargo company or freight forwarder if their services are engaged.
    Goods arriving by post or mail do not require a SAC declaration.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I'm not trying to beat the gst I'm just wanting to know what it's going to cost all up to build a rod and whether it's all worth it for the cost of the bits.

I'm not trying to beat the gst I'm just wanting to know what it's going to cost all up to build a rod and whether it's all worth it for the cost of the bits.
    All in how you pay, through a third party like Paypal, they will charge GST on the transaction. If small value and you pay the seller direct via your credit card etc then most likely no GST will be applied, but no guarantee once it hits our shores.

chris69 i imported some blanks and components from the US recently cos it was "cheaper" and i couldnt get the blanks in Australia. half my order arrived within 2 weeks - no GST (yet). The other half is yet to be sent and the shop i ordered from (only place that will send UC blanks overseas) is holding my order and asking for an extra US$84 for postage. I have already paid US$44 (the maximum postage cost on their online order from) for postage so i blew up but if i dont pay they wont send and i've blown $500. I bet you i'll get hit with the GST on the second batch too so on a AU$1000 order will cost me about $1220.

They reckon you can email them for a postage estimate before you order but beware.

Andrew

Some of the freight charges for stuff out of the USA is getting beyond stupid. COVID has jacked up even more.

10 years ago i ordered my cannon lake troll downrigger out of the US shipping was like $80 from West Marine hate to see what they are charging for shipping today

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app