Thread: Real world 150 hp fuel comparison. Mercury 150 how does it compare?

Real world 150 hp fuel comparison. Mercury 150 how does it compare?

Hi All,

I finally did a fairly decent run in my boat in good conditions. 200km from Werribee to Anglesea and back. Trip result 120 litres and no Tuna. That equals .6 litres per km or 1.66 km per litre in a 5.5m boat. Not great but the stats are real. How does this compare to similar engines? By the way this is for FYI purposes only as real world figures seemed light on or were provided by Mercury or other manufacturers themselves. Brett

Re: Real world 150 hp fuel comparison. Mercury 150 how does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by bden View Post
    Hi All,

I finally did a fairly decent run in my boat in good conditions. 200km from Werribee to Anglesea and back. Trip result 120 litres and no Tuna. That equals .6 litres per km or 1.66 km per litre in a 5.5m boat. Not great but the stats are real. How does this compare to similar engines? By the way this is for FYI purposes only as real world figures seemed light on or were provided by Mercury or other manufacturers themselves. Brett
    I can't comment on your results, another member here runs the same 150, here in Melbourne, hopefully he comes on.
    Your info is pretty bare, i mean, I could do the same run and use 140 litres, then another only 90 litres, depends on conditions and throttle, if you follow what I mean.
    Have you got more info on rev's even prop your running ?, I mean the difference of litreage use per hour is huge depending how you were driving it.
    I only mention this, as a mate has the same boat I do, 5.4, 20 deg, with the 150 merc and 200 km's total for a days run out wide at Portland, out to the horse shoe, trolling for 4-5 hours, loaded up see's him using 90 odd litres, and that's in some pretty heavy stuff coming home, plus yes, maybe 50-60 km trolling, So pretty hard to compare until it's all apples for apples......

Col

updated, sorry quoted wrong figures, doing 170-180 km's average use 90 litres

Fair call. 14.7 x 16P Enertia prop. Haines Sig 5.5m.80km return trip PPB sitting on about 4000 revs. Trolled 70 km and anther 50km between 4000 to 5000 rpm. I think this trip gave me a good mixed bag. I don’t think the Mercury 4 stroke is as good as the 135 Opti I had when trolling but seems better overall (if only slightly)

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Hopefully 552EVO comes in and you can compare,, different boats but would still be an interesting comparison.......
    I'm picking 4-5000 revs for that distance wouldn't be your economical sweet spot ??

Col

I think that would be pretty good. You would be burning a lot more fuel trolling which will bring your average km/L down a fair bit

Any posted fuel figures can only ever be used as a guide. There can be massive variation in fuel figures just by trimming the same boat in a different manner let alone a different boat. Add to that different sea conditions, propping, weight being carried, cruising revs, hull design, windage and so on - results can vary. It does seem heavy but with the trolling in the mix (depending on boat speed when trolling) it's hard to say. I would think in flat water at cruising revs you should be getting 2+ km/l or there about without trying too hard. From discussions with Merc owners the numbers do seem to get better with a few hours.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I am running the 150 4s on a much heavier boat than yours, Caribbean Reefrunner, 6.4 m not counting the swim platform and bowsprit. In the water, fully fuelled with 2 people. ,just over 2 tonne. I tend to use just over a litre per NM for a day out if there is a lot of travelling involved. If a lot of trolling, less than a litre per NM. As an example, last Sunday I did a total of 34.5 NM (63.9km) for 37 litres. There was only 45 mins trolling in that. There was little or no wind, but an offshore disturbance was sending in a messy lumpy sea, and there was a bit of swell, so nowhere near calm. In fact, my wife threw up, for the first time ever , and we've been a fishing team for a long time on bluewater. If I do 70 NM (130km) for the day, I'll use between 72 (calm) to 77 ( pretty crappy) litres . It really doesn't vary much between 3900 rpm and 4300 rpm.(?) over that it, will start to drop a little. 3800 sees19-20 kts, and exactly 1 litre pernm readout.
    I consider 4500 rpm a fast cruise--these motors aren't high revving, WOT range 5200-5800. I am running a 15x15 Enertia, after the original 14.5x17 ended being overpitched after I had loaded it up. Now getting 5500-5600 fully loaded. 4500 will see a good 26.5 to 27.5 knot cruise. 3900 is a good 20, 4200 , 24 knots. All depends on the day, what kind of mood I am in, and how far to travel. I think that is a pretty good result for 150hp pushing a heavy rig, which, incidentally, never feels underpowered. Set and forget the throttle , you are never juggling it in a following sea. Certainly uses a lot less fuel than my 90hp 2 stroke yamaha did pushing a 600 quintrex CC.
    Only comparison i can offer is my last rig, a 5.65m Swiftcraft Dominator. Much lighter boat, probably only 1200kg on the water. An F115a Yamaha always delivered 2km/l. Up to 2.4 in exceptional conditions, and would only drop below 2km/l if the going was really tough. But, hey, only half the boat this one is.

My numbers for its big brother here

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...w-Merc-numbers

Gauges told me I should fit 165 litres in the tank at last fill. Got in 164 litres. Still impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hopefully 552EVO comes in and you can compare,, different boats but would still be an interesting comparison.......
    I'm picking 4-5000 revs for that distance wouldn't be your economical sweet spot ??

Col
    Hi Col and Bden,
    I can’t really help sorry to say, I gave up trying to put any serious effort into calculating fuel consumption.
    I just top up each time before a trip and make sure I turn around well before 1/2 empty.
    My setup is:
    Fibreglass 6.1m loa hull. Centre Console.
    My best guess weight fully loaded is about 1600kg - hull, motor, fishing and all emergency gear, T-top, fuel, 2 batteries,
    Merc 4 stroke 150 with a 15x15 enertia prop.
    Fuel tank 150 litres.
    Furthest I’ve traveled is return from either Sorrento to Cape Shank for kingies or from Queenscliff to past Torquay for Tuna.
    So the cape Shank trip is a get there and get back mission whereas the Torquay trip is trolling 80%.
    My setup includes a basic VesselView 4 and I’ve installed a fuel flow meter into the nmea network- from memory there were some setup options to set a fuel flow rate but I left it all default.
    I was hoping the whole fuel usage calculations would be a byproduct of installing the flow meter into the nmea system. But when I was promoted to insert an actual fuel usage rate I gave up because I would have thought the engine would have that usage on call for the nmea.
    But I may well be wrong- probably am.
    Because it all just got too hard and I got jacked with having to buy an extra this and an extra that for all the promoted offerings supposedly available.
    At the end of the day if I go far enough to be concerned about the remaining fuel in my tank I am fortunate enough I can lift the floor hatch and eyeball the end of the tank. I’d much prefer to see the 1/2 tank of fuel left than have it calculated for me and run out because I put in the wrong setting.

The Simrad I have also displays all the engine data (like the VesselView) and I’ve set up the fuel tank feature in Simrad and VesselView which I do set to full at each trip. But I have had the system generate the low fuel/20% alarm trigger (which is off putting until I check the actual level and there is plenty left.)
    So maybe the usage calculations ban be tweaked to improve this accuracy ?

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    My numbers for its big brother here

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...w-Merc-numbers

Gauges told me I should fit 165 litres in the tank at last fill. Got in 164 litres. Still impressed with it.
    Seems very good still trying to figure out the Vessel view screen. Suggest user error on my part. Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

1L per nautical mile is the go.

Yamaha, F150 on a Haines Hunter Profish 6.25 Bare boat, hardly any fuel, 300kg man flesh..

Yamaha F150
    rpm gph mph
    1000 1.1 4
    2000 1.6 7
    3000 4.7 12
    4000 7 25
    4500 9.4 30
    5000 12.3 34
    5700 16.5 43