Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Boats

Re: Underrated Boats

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Totally disagree,I maintain that the key to speed is hull design.My mate has a 5m Sea Devil with a ninety on the back,I have a 5m Cruise Craft with a one fifteen on it,his boat is noticeably smoother right up to the point where I drop off and let him go if it's sloppy.The claim was though 'that a quality platey can ride as good if not better than a glass boat'.Considering that the Haines 223 is a 22ft 3ins offshore racing hull converted to just about every configuration going I will still say that if you put the same length alloy hull,regardless of horsepower next to it in the same trying conditions the glass will be a better ride.You disagree?
    That's what I am saying, it's design, not material, but, it needs to be useful, no use having 600hp on the back of the worlds deepest V in a skinny boat, but you can't stop to fish, I know you can build an alloy boat that will ride just as good, most Aluminium cats ride much better, but, compromises are the name of the game, but, once again, that's not what the original question was about.

Pursuit boats, in particular the 600.

Throwback to this gem. Very under rated. appears unsinkable...…...no matter how hard you try

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...boating-mishap

hi Gaz quite legal doesn't exceed the allowed towing width

Dat lovely looking boat boy that hull looks deep

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

There was a advertisement a few days ago with a really well done video clip of a forward steer 233 i was wowed at how nice it cut thru the chop i donno if the video was done with special editing software to make it look like it rode so smooth but dang it looks so comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's what I am saying, it's design, not material, but, it needs to be useful, no use having 600hp on the back of the worlds deepest V in a skinny boat, but you can't stop to fish, I know you can build an alloy boat that will ride just as good, most Aluminium cats ride much better, but, compromises are the name of the game, but, once again, that's not what the original question was about.
    But the material puts limitations on the design. Eg fiberglass can be moulded in an inifinite variety of shapes, eg complex varable deadrises. Whereas aluminium has some limits on the hull shapes that can be achieved. I doubt that the best aluminium boats will beat the overall ride and handling of the best fiberglass boats.

2200 Yaltacraft (615odesa)
    Hydrofield 6.6
    Sharkcat 5.6
    not sayin they are the "best boats" but have lived with these and found them to be excellent boats for my type of fishing , yalta wins for easy of use solo which is more than 50% of my fishing.
    4 -5 mins to launch or retrieve
    1.8 to 2.2 km per ltr to run (in fishing trim)
    tows at highway speed for 13.5 km to the ltr (done bris to bowen twice)
    can fish 1- 6 people ( 6 is tight but 2-3 is a pleasure)

but most of all i can run it myself and it feels safe

very subjective thing "rating boats"

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Move to central Queensland. They are everywhere. Too ugly for my taste.

Matt
    Yeppoon is the spiratual home of Hydrofields.

Just as well I bought a mono!

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    But the material puts limitations on the design. Eg fiberglass can be moulded in an inifinite variety of shapes, eg complex varable deadrises. Whereas aluminium has some limits on the hull shapes that can be achieved. I doubt that the best aluminium boats will beat the overall ride and handling of the best fiberglass boats.
    I don't totally agree with that, but, as mentioned, it's not what the post is/was about in any way shape or form, it's about underrated boats, not whether glass is better, faster or a better ride.

those multi hull boats look terrible but i bet they are rock solid out in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't totally agree with that, but, as mentioned, it's not what the post is/was about in any way shape or form, it's about underrated boats, not whether glass is better, faster or a better ride.
    Well that's a bit pedantic. As 'underrated boats' could be taken to means a style or material of boat.

Build two identical hull shapes one glass and the other Ali. Hands down glass will be more stable and ride better as it’s heavier and has some flex albeit slower than the Ali

I don’t like the low transom height on the little poly crafts they have on Big cat reality, we nearly sunk one because the bilge couldn’t keep up with the amount of water coming over the back!
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Build two identical hull shapes one glass and the other Ali. Hands down glass will be more stable and ride better as it’s heavier and has some flex albeit slower than the Ali
    Only if you do build it lighter. Build it with the necessary bracing and plate gauge to achieve the same weight and short of perception due to noise they will ride the same. As such it's only design or budget that really makes the biggest difference. Glass boats can be made substantially lighter now as well due to light weight composite bracing materials and new costruction techniques. Put one of the new ones against an older heavier boat (assuming no extra glass is added) and I'll bet the old one rides softer due to the extra weight.