Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Underrated Boats

Re: Underrated Boats

Been scratching my head ...an "underrated" boat.....performance...construction... design..cost..my sixpence...the viking ship...cheap to build ...leaks a bit mind you.. can cross oceans economically and if you cant get the oars started ..just hoist the auxiliary sail .Overwinter storage ... drag it up the beach and put a few stones in the hull.Pretty much everything after that hull was detail...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    I don’t like the low transom height on the little poly crafts they have on Big cat reality, we nearly sunk one because the bilge couldn’t keep up with the amount of water coming over the back!
    That would be because they are Smartwaves not polycraft. I have no doubt you could plane a 4.5 poly in reverse. The sponsons also protrude behind the engine so stern recovery is stupidly good for a little boat. The one we had fished all sorts of places a 4.5 shouldn't go. And they float with the bungs out anyway. Speaking of under rated.... wet, slow, but do all the important things well.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only if you do build it lighter. Build it with the necessary bracing and plate gauge to achieve the same weight and short of perception due to noise they will ride the same. As such it's only design or budget that really makes the biggest difference. Glass boats can be made substantially lighter now as well due to light weight composite bracing materials and new costruction techniques. Put one of the new ones against an older heavier boat (assuming no extra glass is added) and I'll bet the old one rides softer due to the extra weight.
    That last sentence may be true of most monos but doesn’t hold true for all design types. The first part of your reply is spot on though. But the modern composite techniques being lighter than most plate designs also means that things like larger fuel and water storage on a similarly designed hull can be achieved with similar ride characteristics.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

a Mate had the older shaft drive diesel arvor but it seems they are all now outboard based
    https://arvor.com.au/sportsfish/arvor-555-sportsfish/

it was slow not overly maneuverable with poor ventilation in the cab,which was fixed with some mods
    but it went everywhere and anywhere with good fuel economy and no knee jarring bumps
    nice rough wet weather boat

Probably I guess in really strange kind of way, maybe the old timber "putt putt" might be underrated, smooth ride, unbelievable fuel economy, very seaworthy, very simple motors, perhaps maintenance might be a killer now though, and speed certainly wasn't their strong point.

Steve, I used to see an Arvor down here out western port a lot, it was Malcom Frasers from memory, he was pretty long in the tooth by then but.
    I don't know what it is about the Arvor, its a Scandenavian design semi displacement boat by memory, but In a strange way I quite like it.
    I don;t know anyone with one or had any feed back at all, but as mentioned I use to ponder over one after seeing one regularly. It looks like a well sorted out roomy boat inside. I did read they were doing them with outboards as well. Just one of those boats I stop and look at for some reason...

Col

could almost get it to kinda plane flat stick
    this one was located in sydney harbour on a lifting berth

from memory it was ridiculously frugal on fuel 5l per hour trolling cruised at 15 knots for 10l per hour

i could handle on of these underated pocket tug boats

when i reply or try to reply , i get this ( blah blah ten characters cant reply doodle dee ) headache

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only if you do build it lighter. Build it with the necessary bracing and plate gauge to achieve the same weight and short of perception due to noise they will ride the same. As such it's only design or budget that really makes the biggest difference. Glass boats can be made substantially lighter now as well due to light weight composite bracing materials and new costruction techniques. Put one of the new ones against an older heavier boat (assuming no extra glass is added) and I'll bet the old one rides softer due to the extra weight.
    Unless you modify the internal design of the plate boat too a large extent to provide the additional weight which never happens. Also the plate boat is very stiff and glass has some give providing a softer ride. Plate boats are inherently taller thus having a higher COG adding to the increased likelihood of broaching

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    those multi hull boats look terrible but i bet they are rock solid out in the rough

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    They look better on the water than they do on a trailer that's for sure .
    Back in the day when I was fishing ANSA comps there was the odd one getting around & they certainly looked to do a great job offshore ….. certainly better than the little shark cat I was fishing out of .

I'm convinced that when someone talks about under rated boat - aesthetics will be the biggest factor ……. if people wont buy it (sold in limited numbers) the boat could be deemed as under rated .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

[QUOTE=blacklab;1666383]Steve, I used to see an Arvor down here out western port a lot, it was Malcom Frasers from memory, he was pretty long in the tooth by then but.
    I don't know what it is about the Arvor, its a Scandenavian design semi displacement boat by memory, but In a strange way I quite like it.
    I don;t know anyone with one or had any feed back at all, but as mentioned I use to ponder over one after seeing one regularly. It looks like a well sorted out roomy boat inside. I did read they were doing them with outboards as well. Just one of those boats I stop and look at for some reason...

spent quite a few times in an older Arvor.....a French design for the langoustine fishing French coast English Channel....semi displacement ..diesel engine with a clear deck behind a small cabin....very seaworthy ..economical ..but slow.So stable and sea friendly that they were a delight to fish out of.The cabin was pretty hot and the boat was not really tow friendly so very limited market...nevertheless the real deal boat for an all weather fisherman..

Arvor. Still basically a planing hull, bob like a cork, have no displacement characteristics (drive any 6m boat as slow as an arvor and its going to ride just fine), and extremely weight sensitive. A few blokes and a bit of gear and the 17kt top end becomes 11-12 kts. I agree the theory looks great but the reality lets them down. Overrated.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-17643292

Always thought Clayton marine were underrated. Growing up in South Australia, where they are/were built, there were a few but moving to Queensland I’ve not seen many except for the charter up at 1770.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...AG-AD-17643292

Always thought Clayton marine were underrated. Growing up in South Australia, where they are/were built, there were a few but moving to Queensland I’ve not seen many except for the charter up at 1770.
    And the one at 1770 rides great! Been on it a couple times and been very impressed with how soft it traveled
    fruit salad is the new Bacon