Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Boats

Re: Underrated Boats

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Yeah, it's a pretty subjective question really.
    Under rated would be like, say, a dark horse performing as it wasn't expected too, a bit like Pauline Hanson making it to be prime minister ,,, or Greta Thunberg ever tucking in to a good porter house steak !!!!!.

Everyone has a soft spot for there own boat and brand loyalty would never bring conscences, look at the Plate vrs Glass comparrison previously bought up.

So, best we just accept that my CC Reef Finder, wins in most classes and questions and leave it at that..

Admin, can you please lock this thread immediately ........

Col
    Col

I had 8 great years with my 1994 Quintrex reef raider 5.35 (less so with the Mariner 75 2 stroke)
    That boat was light , easily handled , quite stable , handled the seas very well ,,, It took me far and wide ….. It could be a wet boat but generally it was pretty good.
    This was a boat that punched above it's weight & I had no qualms about taking it out to the shelf on the right days .
    Unfortunately I did split the hull up near the bow …… but it was generally a good boat for what it was - bream fishing one day , tuna & marlin the next.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Gidday Chris, Sounded like the Quinny did you well. Same here really, I think there's a few boat types, that can punch well above there weight, all be it in the right conditions. Mine, is a bit of a pig in the short chop, the Cuddy is well forward which contributes to that, but it makes for a huge fishing area deck space, suppose that's the trade off. I'm going to be testing out some decent trim tabs once she's back on the water. But she performs well above it's weight and size out wide, fantastic in a following sea really sure footed in the big stuff. Noel had it spot on when he said about the quality of the build of some of these "classics", pretty terrible really. I guess I would luv a newer 6 mtr glass boat to improve things when out wide, but then for me, it would be to big solo or for storage. There's trade offs with any boat, but I know not all boats have the ability to do what other boats do,due to there design. So maybe the question should have been, rather than "underated", which boat punches above it's size.... but there's the dilemma, If I say that mine punches above it's size, there's always a smaller boat capable of claiming the same.
    An interesting question would have been, which boat design, absolutely failed !! there must have been some models/brands built that were absolute Lemons ??.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    So just to be clear, the best made plate versus the best made fibreglass, you think that the plate will ride better? Not arguing just want you to be clear. Personally for an example, a Noosa cat or Edencraft 233 will in my humble opinion ride better than say a Sailfish cat or Moda/Riptide of equivalent size. Both styles have their pro’s and cons but ride?
    I’ve only ever owned a Barcrusher in plate and have fished off a mates Col Svennson built Fisher (ripper boat) but I think glass will always win in ride.

Like I said, not arguing, just from 30 plus years of boating I think glass wins in ride. Plate wins in other aspects just not ride. All in my humble opinion. No offence intended.
    no experience with those glass boats. But a good platey can ride as good if not better than a Haines, seafarer, Haines sig and cruisecraft. That’s my main glass experience. I mentioned plate because so many people write them off as being a good ride and therefore I believe the ride to be underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yes …… More like 15 years ago

& I still work in the industry - 30 years next year ……. lets just keep it at that .

Chris
    Mine's actually 15 years old now. No sign of UV damage - it looks like brand new. Haven't heard anything about in on social media either. Only a couple of cases of cracks/ splitting in the 6 m model. So it looks like they have stood the test of time.

I believe the Edenrcraft 233 is a rebadged Haines formula? Would take some plate boat to knock one of these off for ride at speed if that were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Mine's actually 15 years old now. No sign of UV damage - it looks like brand new. Haven't heard anything about in on social media either. Only a couple of cases of cracks/ splitting in the 6 m model. So it looks like they have stood the test of time.
    Glad to hear that

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I believe the Edenrcraft 233 is a rebadged Haines formula? Would take some plate boat to knock one of these off for ride at speed if that were the case.
    Speed is relative to HP, the drivers experience and how much pounding he/they are prepared to take, all these photos of boats with hundreds of HP jumping over waves is not your average fishing trip or family picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Gidday Chris, Sounded like the Quinny did you well. Same here really, I think there's a few boat types, that can punch well above there weight, all be it in the right conditions. Mine, is a bit of a pig in the short chop, the Cuddy is well forward which contributes to that, but it makes for a huge fishing area deck space, suppose that's the trade off. I'm going to be testing out some decent trim tabs once she's back on the water. But she performs well above it's weight and size out wide, fantastic in a following sea really sure footed in the big stuff. Noel had it spot on when he said about the quality of the build of some of these "classics", pretty terrible really. I guess I would luv a newer 6 mtr glass boat to improve things when out wide, but then for me, it would be to big solo or for storage. There's trade offs with any boat, but I know not all boats have the ability to do what other boats do,due to there design. So maybe the question should have been, rather than "underated", which boat punches above it's size.... but there's the dilemma, If I say that mine punches above it's size, there's always a smaller boat capable of claiming the same.
    An interesting question would have been, which boat design, absolutely failed !! there must have been some models/brands built that were absolute Lemons ??.

Col
    Spot on ……. hence why I'm struggling to identify underrated boats

There are so many variable with boats aside from ride & stability at rest . The 5m Seajay Barramasta I recently sold was an example of a boat that could punch well above it's class - an inshore boat which was pretty darn good offshore ……. however being a low riding side console with a medium variable deadrise - it was wet ……. but very stable at rest.

Boats are very personal as well - preferences for material type , hull configuration & a whole raft of others considerations . There are boats that are great in certain scenarios - A bass boat racing around on a dam - is king of that domain , A cat sitting on some offshore reef …… but I don't have that same confidence in that cat crossing a bar or running in a following sea , ….. it just goes on & it's that whole compromise thing.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

There really are so many variables in terms of size, use, trailer ability, location (inshore/river/reef/blue water etc). you could list under rated (or over rated) boats in a variety of ways.

Most under rated all rounder IMO still is the little 15ft cuddy cabin glass boats you see in numerous brands (yalta cruiscrafts etc etc). Cheap as chips, do pretty much everything, handle a bit of sea and chop and still stable, ski behind, av garage/carport needed any decent car can tow it. Very basic, no nonsense little boats.

Used to be popular in 70's and 80's - boats seemed to get bigger more exy these days.

These sorts of boats:
    http://bray-park-qld.australialisted..._18298533.html
    https://boats-from-au.com/not-specif...raft-boat-2374

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Speed is relative to HP, the drivers experience and how much pounding he/they are prepared to take, all these photos of boats with hundreds of HP jumping over waves is not your average fishing trip or family picnic.
    Totally disagree,I maintain that the key to speed is hull design.My mate has a 5m Sea Devil with a ninety on the back,I have a 5m Cruise Craft with a one fifteen on it,his boat is noticeably smoother right up to the point where I drop off and let him go if it's sloppy.The claim was though 'that a quality platey can ride as good if not better than a glass boat'.Considering that the Haines 223 is a 22ft 3ins offshore racing hull converted to just about every configuration going I will still say that if you put the same length alloy hull,regardless of horsepower next to it in the same trying conditions the glass will be a better ride.You disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    ……. hence why I'm struggling to identify underrated boats............ Chris
    I doubt you will identify an underrated boat.For it to be underrated it must have firstly been rated badly and personally I have never read a bad boat review,they don't seem to exist,hence you will only find overrated boats.

Ralph Morgan built Try Gullwing 6 meter reef seeker alley plate Exceptional all round boat

5152kcf_20.jpg49465h4_20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    Ralph Morgan built Try Gullwing 6 meter reef seeker alley plate Exceptional all round boat

5152kcf_20.jpg49465h4_20.jpg
    Have u even been pinched on over hang?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Does anyone have an opinion either way on 15ft. Allison?
    Just interested to hear of anything about them.
    tug-telluM
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I doubt you will identify an underrated boat.For it to be underrated it must have firstly been rated badly and personally I have never read a bad boat review,they don't seem to exist,hence you will only find overrated boats.
    Something doesn't have to be badly rated to be underrated …. some things just slip under the radar or didn't capture the imagination of the boating public - for whatever reason .

underrated
    is something that has not received the merit, recognition or praise it deserves
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO