Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Boats

Re: Underrated Boats

They didnt like being run up onto the beach at long reef in Syd - solid test for any boat there but mine and mate who had one the same both leaked after a couple of yrs. It was decent little tinny, still like the look of them.

Most underrated boat, a quality platey. The glass fans just can’t admit that they can ride just as good if not better.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Most underrated boat, a quality platey. The glass fans just can’t admit that they can ride just as good if not better.
    So just to be clear, the best made plate versus the best made fibreglass, you think that the plate will ride better? Not arguing just want you to be clear. Personally for an example, a Noosa cat or Edencraft 233 will in my humble opinion ride better than say a Sailfish cat or Moda/Riptide of equivalent size. Both styles have their pro’s and cons but ride?
    I’ve only ever owned a Barcrusher in plate and have fished off a mates Col Svennson built Fisher (ripper boat) but I think glass will always win in ride.

Like I said, not arguing, just from 30 plus years of boating I think glass wins in ride. Plate wins in other aspects just not ride. All in my humble opinion. No offence intended.

All those "go fast" Edencraft are dandy, if you're doing 40 knots, but stop, and they are unstable, not my ideal fishing boat by a long shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    All those "go fast" Edencraft are dandy, if you're doing 40 knots, but stop, and they are unstable, not my ideal fishing boat by a long shot.
    Agree Noelm, but Jclay was specifically talking about ride.

A different comparison might be (say) an Aluminium cat and a near flat bottomed glass boat, which one will ride better? the material the boat is made out of is only a small part of ride quality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A different comparison might be (say) an Aluminium cat and a near flat bottomed glass boat, which one will ride better? the material the boat is made out of is only a small part of ride quality.
    Again, agree Noelm. I’m not interested in an argument or debate for that matter. Hull design, correctly propped and powered, are all characteristics that proves a hull performance. My opinion, and again, my opinion only, glass will RIDE better than Ali.

I’m most definitely not against plate boats as I almost put down a deposit for a Col Svennson Fisher Mark 1 and my wife was his care planner at Ningi medical centre. The debate here is ride. 40nm out wide, she blows, what would you want? Plate or glass to get home?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    So just to be clear, the best made plate versus the best made fibreglass, you think that the plate will ride better? Not arguing just want you to be clear. Personally for an example, a Noosa cat or Edencraft 233 will in my humble opinion ride better than say a Sailfish cat or Moda/Riptide of equivalent size. Both styles have their pro’s and cons but ride?
    I’ve only ever owned a Barcrusher in plate and have fished off a mates Col Svennson built Fisher (ripper boat) but I think glass will always win in ride.

Like I said, not arguing, just from 30 plus years of boating I think glass wins in ride. Plate wins in other aspects just not ride. All in my humble opinion. No offence intended.
    Now that is an over rated boat - Sailfish

I found them to broach , bang & quite wet as the mist gets sucked into the cabin .

Recently a mate who has one commented how my barcrusher rode better than his beloved Sailfish - I was surprised.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm still struggling with this concept of an under rated boat

what is the criteria ? ….. what makes a boat under rated ? - Capability or lack of sales ?
    If a boat is any good - people will buy it & then it really can't be under rated .

Is a Stabi craft under rated ? …… I know it is an extremely capable boat but it's ugly and that impacts on sales .

I don't know

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    a second from me on that one. I liked mine so much I bought a second one.
    A third from me, although i havent been in one, i was jaw droppin as one was getting air as we raced out to montague island

i might add that this little webster was punching forward strong and landing softly. i couldnt believe this 4.3 mtr thingy was behaving with big boat attitude

Glass V Alloy for ride or speed? Glass,there is only so much you can do with alloy,it is a very rigid medium,Glass on the other hand will conform to whatever the mould dictates,no curve is to complex.How many offshore racing hulls are not of a composite construction?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm still struggling with this concept of an under rated boat

what is the criteria ? ….. what makes a boat under rated ? - Capability or lack of sales ?
    If a boat is any good - people will buy it & then it really can't be under rated .

Is a Stabi craft under rated ? …… I know it is an extremely capable boat but it's ugly and that impacts on sales .

I don't know

Chris
    Makes sense, what a boat is made out of makes no difference, whether a boat can do 60knots makes no difference, how you get back when the wind comes up also makes no difference on whether a boat is underrated or not. There is hundreds a great little boats out there, boats families have owned and loved for decades, are they underrated? people are in love with old Seafarers and Haines Hunters, so much so that these names have become legendary, most have never owned one, but "rate them" boats can be very personal, what suits me, doesn't suit you, circumstances change, the boat that suits now, mightn't suit in a few years, does that change its rating? is a smooth ride what makes one boat better than another? is the ability to carry big HP change the rating? my good mate has a little Sea devil (5.2m) with a 175 on it, goes like the clappers, but, does that make it better or worse rating than something else?

Nobody has mentioned Polycraft yet??
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Polycraft yet??

Are they underrated ?
    there are certainly a lot of fans of the Tupperware boats ….. probably make one of the best tenders going .

I've been trying to get my head around this question & I did come up with a boat …… but I don't know if it is underrated - you just dot see many of them
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO