Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Boats

Re: Underrated Boats

Hydrofeld

Now this is a boat that has exceptional seaworthiness ….Innovative very well built & has pretty well kept the same hull for the best part of 40 years .
    You don't see a lot of them but I believe they are still made . Could this be a contender for an underrated boat ?

Comments

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hydrofeld

Now this is a boat that has exceptional seaworthiness ….Innovative very well built & has pretty well kept the same hull for the best part of 40 years .
    You don't see a lot of them but I believe they are still made . Could this be a contender for an underrated boat ?

Comments

Chris
    Move to central Queensland. They are everywhere. Too ugly for my taste.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Are they underrated ?
    there are certainly a lot of fans of the Tupperware boats ….. probably make one of the best tenders going .
    Weren't you trying to tell us, about 10 years ago, that they wouldn't last due to UV degradation - according to your inside/ industry knowledge?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Move to central Queensland. They are everywhere. Too ugly for my taste.

Matt
    Agree. The other boat that commonly gets the ugly tag is Stabi-craft. I personally like the look of the newer models but know plenty that aren’t keen on the look. I love the bigger models and they look bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Weren't you trying to tell us, about 10 years ago, that they wouldn't last due to UV degradation - according to your inside/ industry knowledge?
    Not too sure about Poly boats, I have been in plenty and cant say I would rush out to buy one, I personally don't think they are underrated or overrated, perhaps not even rated at all, just another boat to buy, no better or worse than comparable sized glass or aluminium boats.

Re the Webster

4-5 times I have been close to handing cash over for a 4.6 but each time something just wrecked the deal.

Twice due to trailers not being able to handle the weight seems was a common sales thing to reduce the package
    Other just difficult sellers

One day I’ll have one

They are wet though

Underrated would be all the little 4.5 4.75 glass cuddies like the ones made by savage Bermuda etc

70hp rides ok cheap to tow and stores in a standard garage
    perfect boats for bay and light offshore

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure about Poly boats, I have been in plenty and cant say I would rush out to buy one, I personally don't think they are underrated or overrated, perhaps not even rated at all, just another boat to buy, no better or worse than comparable sized glass or aluminium boats.
    Well some might consider them better. They are quite different to similar sized boats in other materials. Especially alloy boats (they are more similar to glass boats, but more durable). It depends what you value more highly in terms of characteristics. I have a 4.1 Polycraft tiller steer and I wouldn't go back to a tinny. There is such a big difference in stability at rest as well as softness of ride.

Well some might consider them better. They are quite different to similar sized boats in other materials. Especially alloy boats (they are more similar to glass boats, but more durable). It depends what you value more highly in terms of characteristics. I have a 4.1 Polycraft tiller steer and I wouldn't go back to a tinny. There is such a big difference in stability at rest as well as softness of ride.
    Our first boat many years ago was a tinny and now on our third polycraft. Not the prettiest boat out there but all have been fantastic as far as ride and stability. Would only trade our current poly on a huge cruiser that i could not afford to buy or run. I think boats are like cars in that if you get a good run out of what you have that one is obviously the best.

Once again, people are quoting characteristics that are not a product of the material the boat is made out of, stability is not a product of being made out of poly, a glass or alloy cat, or a flat bottom wide punt will be more stabil.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Once again, people are quoting characteristics that are not a product of the material the boat is made out of, stability is not a product of being made out of poly, a glass or alloy cat, or a flat bottom wide punt will be more stabil.
    Well the thread is actually about boat makes and models and not specifically the merits of different materials. Ie Polycraft is a brand - not a material. Though one can generalise, eg a flat bottom punt might be stable but it won't have a good ride. The Polycraft combines both quite well.

4m tinny would be the most underrated.
    Can catch marlin one weekend and go up the skinniest creek crabbing the next.
    Can buy one fully set-up for under 10k and can be towed by almost any car.

The most under rated boat...……..someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    4m tinny would be the most underrated.
    Can catch marlin one weekend and go up the skinniest creek crabbing the next.
    Can buy one fully set-up for under 10k and can be towed by almost any car.
    Fair call on that, amazing what you can do with a little 4.2 wide body dory or equivalent. Sold 400 million of them so whether underrated comes in to play I’m not quite sure. Still miss the convenience of my old dory from time to time.

Yes …… More like 15 years ago

& I still work in the industry - 30 years next year ……. lets just keep it at that .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah, it's a pretty subjective question really.
    Under rated would be like, say, a dark horse performing as it wasn't expected too, a bit like Pauline Hanson making it to be prime minister ,,, or Greta Thunberg ever tucking in to a good porter house steak !!!!!.

Everyone has a soft spot for there own boat and brand loyalty would never bring conscences, look at the Plate vrs Glass comparrison previously bought up.

So, best we just accept that my CC Reef Finder, wins in most classes and questions and leave it at that..

Admin, can you please lock this thread immediately ........

Col