Thread: What size braid ?

What size braid ?

Guys,
    Leaving next week to NZ for a few days fishing. Mates boat is decked out and is supplying Game fishing gear but said to bring along a reel that he will match up a rod with. Taking my old faithful Penn 950ss to use for Kingies apparently.....I am needing to load it up with some line/Braid. Seeing some of the size of the kingies on youtube etc I would have no idea on what pound i should be putting on it. Anyone keep me out here. This is a bit of a bucket list trip and the last thing i want to happen is to be under gunned and lose a nice fish due to inadequate line class.
    Thanks,
    JN

Re: What size braid ?

I think you will be safe with some 50lb any bigger just might kill your penn 950ss and the 50lb might kill it anyway id make. call too your mate.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could possibly go 65lb Daiwa J braid. As Chris said, the reel may disintegrate before the line. Set your drag right and be up for a fight. Let them run and bugger them out. Don’t skull drag them.

Thanks Guys,
    had trouble getting hold of my mate but he has touched base with me and will email me what he suggests....As mentioned, he has all the game fishing stuff, just said to bring a reel or two for Snapper, Kingies in case the Marlin arent playing or conditions dont allow it...Glad i put the post up though as i was just going to load it with 40lb so I would of def been undergunned by the sounds of it...