Thread: Evans Head revisited

Evans Head revisited

Well the road trip continued - but after the fishing at Crowdy head it couldn't get any better ….. or could it ?

Now , Evans Head is really a special place for me - career wise ….. Last time I was made redundant I went to Evans & received a job offer . As it turns out , this was yet another redundancy trip & I received another job offer as I was on the door step of Evans Head I've been back since & now I'm here on my third trip though we did had to deal with a cyclone influenced weather pattern . For the first few days a mate came down from Brissy keen to have an offshore fish & I was hoping to show him what great fishing this place has ….any how thanks to ex tropical cyclone Uesi the first couple of days had has doing a bit of crabbing and chillin - before we manged to get get out .
    Unfortunately the flood waters of the Clarence & Richmond rivers pretty well had the sea brown & smelling of mud - but we still managed to get a few quality snapper & the ever present trag on the first couple of days - incl the best for my boat a 75cm caught by Parksy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75cm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	120834
    Unfortunately for Parksy - he could only get a couple of sessions in before he had to head back - So I decided to fish a wider mark 17km offshore where we fished the previous morning . It didn't take long to find what I was looking for Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish reveal .jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	120835 in near on perfect conditions ….. The result was 24 snapper landed , 1 trag & a 118cm kingfish . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118cm King (2).jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	120836 That kingy took me 45 min to land on 20lb snapper gear - It was a lucky capture because later that morning I had my ass handed to me by some unstoppables . That kingy has been turned into excellent sashimi for the past couple of days .
    Anyhow I went out yesterday (same location ) but in better conditions - 5 baits down & 4 landed including my best of the trip - a 74cm snap Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74cm Snap .jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	120837 . Unfortunately a couple of local boats decided that the ocean wasn't big enough & decided to fish as close as possible which I felt shut down the bite on the shallow reef with the exception of a couple of kings that blew me away on locked down 30lb snapper gear - the runs were fun though Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putting a bend in the rod .jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	120838

It's been fun with a lay day today to reflect on what has been a great trip …… with maybe another session or two

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawn off Evans .jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	120839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Get in the net .jpg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	120840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118cm king 2 .jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	120841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good red .jpg 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	120842https://www.facebook.com/chris.nagie...7497595598588/
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Evans Head revisited

Cool...don;t seem to be able to click 'like'for some reason but thanks for making the effort - good motivation!

Re: Evans Head revisited

It's a seriously good destination - particularly February through to July . This trip has been hampered by a hell of a lot of fresh which extends out to 20km plus . Now they should be seeing some mackerel caught but except for the odd encounter the water quality is keeping them quiet .
    there is not too many places I know of that has quality fishing within such close proximity - my favorite reef is just a 15 min run from the ramp where you can catch a fairly decent range of quality table fish (Mackerel , snapper , pearlies , cobia & trag) .
    Accommodation options exist from the caravan park sites & cabins through to the numerous holiday houses available - I'm staying in a very comfortable place (3 bedroom / 2 bathroom / double garage ) 2 mins from the boat ramp , 5 min walk to the breakwall - the place overlooks the river & it's costing me $95 / night . I've already convinced myself to ditch the camping & book this house again when I next get my chance to return. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	room with a view .jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	120850
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO