Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impeller Issues

Impeller Issues

Hi All
    So I serviced my outboard (Yamaha 30MDH, 3 Cylinder 2006) for the first time on the weekend. I purchased all my items from the Outboard Spares store and received all the correct items as per my outboard model. So I changed all three spark plugs, gear oil, thermostat gasket and impeller kit (new impeller and gaskets).
    Everything went well and easier than I thought except for giving the outboard a run and found no water coming out of the outlet (pee-hole). So after this afternoon and the third time taking the lower unit off it’s got water coming out but it’s almost boiling hot. I’ve obviously checked the impeller and stainless cap and the metal (magnetic) slot and all is well and turns fine without resistance. I’ve ensured the water intake is situated correctly so water flows up and into the motor.
    When I started it this afternoon after going over it again it was spitting out the water but it wasn’t strong but it came out instantly hot, like almost boiling. So has anyone had a similar issue or could share some thoughts please? My only other thing to try is to check the thermostat as I changed the gasket and cleared a little bit of gunk out so possibly the water pipe might be slightly clogged but I’m a little unfamiliar when it comes to the thermostat and how it operates correctly. I ran the motor for about 1 minute and the head and thermostat were very hot along with the water coming out which tells me there’s an issue, but where. I ran it with both muffs and in a large tank and same results. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Impeller Issues

Did you replace the entire kit, or just the impeller? did you check the thermostat?

Thermostats can have fair build up of salt and jam, it's about the only thing left after you've changed everything else.
    The question is though did your telltale already have a week bladder.

Gday complete angler, just something to check. I had a similar issue on a 25hp Yamaha. It turned out to be the little rubber gromet that seals onto the water pipe from the plastic impeller housing. It has a little locating lug that fits into the plastic housing and it was split therefore allowing the gromet to slide up the pipe and not restrict the water to the pipe.
    Worth a look as this piece doesn’t normally come in a standard water pump kit.

Goodluck
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Yeah. I replaced the entire impeller kit, washers and new bolts. As for the thermostat, I opened it only to replace the gasket. I’m not familiar with the thermostat so inside what to look for with issues. It looked simple.

The thermostat was actually quite clean. Only a small amount of gunk but I cleaned that all out as much as possible. Thermostat looks like a spring with a rubber thing at the top I guess. Everything worked fine previously. Not sure what you mean about the bladder though.

Hmmm that’s a good point as to the possibility of it having a blockage. There was no rubber gromit I could see on the top of the impeller kit or on the base of the intake pipe that connects to the plastic impeller casing so it may have sucked it up. I’ll have to pull it apart (again) tomorrow and shine a torch up and see if I can see anything. Thanks for that

The rubber seal is part 22 it goes inside the top cover via the bottom

When u install the top cover make sure u turn the drive shaft clockwise while pushing the cover down

Attachment 120833

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Need just a bit more info, by water pump kit, did you replace the housing and wear plate as well? I know it seems like I am being a bit of a pest, but we need to know what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Angler View Post
    The thermostat was actually quite clean. Only a small amount of gunk but I cleaned that all out as much as possible. Thermostat looks like a spring with a rubber thing at the top I guess. Everything worked fine previously. Not sure what you mean about the bladder though.
    Thermo sounds good. Weak bladder wss tongue in cheek about the flow from your pee hole.

I guess another rather prudent question is, was it OK before you did the "service"

Mercury has a good chart on rpm and impeller wear without water flowing thru the pump my computer is playing up or i'd post a screen shot

Basically if u run a engine at idle for a couple of minutes with a dry impellrr it will shred the impeller and it will likely melt the base of the impeller housing meaning your brand new water pump kit is cactus

Thumbs up Re: Impeller Issues

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The rubber seal is part 22 it goes inside the top cover via the bottom

When u install the top cover make sure u turn the drive shaft clockwise while pushing the cover down

Attachment 120833

You are absolutely correct mate! I spoke to the supplier today whos an ex outboard mechanic. He has express shipped that part 22 - rubber grommet that i was missing, i'm certain this is what's causing the issue.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Angler View Post
    You are absolutely correct mate! I spoke to the supplier today whos an ex outboard mechanic. He has express shipped that part 22 - rubber grommet that i was missing, i'm certain this is what's causing the issue.
    It may be to late, i would pull the complete pump out incluing the base of the pump and make sure it hasnt melted otherwise u will never repair the pump

We still don't know if it was OK before, or if this was self inflicted, makes a big difference to possibilities and trouble shooting.