Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gelcoat or 2 PAC Paint

Gelcoat or 2 PAC Paint

Hi all... in the process of restoring a 1988 Seafarer Viking, now deciding on whether to 2 pac paint the hull or re-gelcoat? Cost around $4k for 2 pac or $5k for gelcoat, any thoughts on anyone who has done either appreciated. My concern about 2 pac that it may scratch easier?
    Photos also welcome before and after.
    Cheers and thanks in advance.
    PP

Re: Gelcoat or 2 PAC Paint

2 pack paint cures really hard it is scratch resistant

The only good thing about gelcoat is its waterproof i have no idea why people chose it, it fades, its a c.... to sand, spraying on exterior takes a ton of sanding than polishing on top of that plus needs yearly maitenance

2 pack 2k paint needs nothing unless u want to deep polish dark colours and make it look super deep

Way more colour choice plus candys in 2 pack

I highly doubt u will be smashing lead sinkers into a $4,000-$5,000 paint job

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    2 pack paint cures really hard it is scratch resistant
    Sorry gazza but you’re off the mark here.....2 pack is pretty good but certainly not scratch resistant, you’d need to polish it more than gelcoat, you said it yourself “it’s a c... to sand”, this is due to it’s thickness and it’s durability, simply take a look at a 90’s model car unless it’s been polished or kept out of the sun it’s not only faded it’s usually gone or completely turned to powder, but a fibreglass boat from the 90’s generally looks pretty good, if it’s been maintained well it’s probably perfect, I was a spray painter for 7 years and I’d take gelcoat any day, there’s nothing wrong with 2 pack and it would do the job just fine with the same if not slightly more maintenance, but in this case, well worth the extra $1000 imo

Id just leave it be and polish it up and keep the 4-5k in my pocket when its all said and done its still a 1988 vintage ,all well and good to refit stringer and replace a transom but id never spend 5k to re gelcoat a hull .

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Sorry gazza but you’re off the mark here.....2 pack is pretty good but certainly not scratch resistant, you’d need to polish it more than gelcoat, you said it yourself “it’s a c... to sand”, this is due to it’s thickness and it’s durability, simply take a look at a 90’s model car unless it’s been polished or kept out of the sun it’s not only faded it’s usually gone or completely turned to powder, but a fibreglass boat from the 90’s generally looks pretty good, if it’s been maintained well it’s probably perfect, I was a spray painter for 7 years and I’d take gelcoat any day, there’s nothing wrong with 2 pack and it would do the job just fine with the same if not slightly more maintenance, but in this case, well worth the extra $1000 imo
    You need to spend hours on top of hours just sanding the orange peel off the gelcoat than u need to spend hours polishing it

2k on a 90's car? Thats 20-30 years old man, my xtrail got washed probably 4 times in almost 5 years and never polished or buffed i sold it with a shiny paint job, are u mistaking enamel or acrylic from the 90's?

You need to spend hours on top of hours just sanding the orange peel off the gelcoat than u need to spend hours polishing it

2k on a 90's car? Thats 20-30 years old man, my xtrail got washed probably 4 times in almost 5 years and never polished or buffed i sold it with a shiny paint job, are u mistaking enamel or acrylic from the 90's?

Acrylic was phased out in the late 80’s.....most production cars in the 90’s were 2 pack. Yeah it’s a bitch to sand but this guy is paying someone to do it and what I’m saying is for an extra $1000 jump at it. He’s asking which will stand better to scratches, grab a scouring pad and try it on your new taxi then try it on your boat, I know which one I’d prefer

I'd imagine for 10 hours extra labor it will be a shit gelcoat job

I'd imagine for 10 hours extra labor it will be a shit gelcoat job

Ok Gazza, glad to hear your professional opinion.

Cobbo sounds like a sarcastic post... your profession is automotive u cannot paint a boat with automotive 2k paint...

As a spray painter that worked with boats and cars you would think I would understand that, but I guess you’ve read enough on google to know what you’re talking about.

Cobbo just what i was told by a big Sydney automotive shop VG Auto Paint and Parts who also supply some products to the local fibreglass shop..

Here we go. Gazza in another Barney.

There’s no chance that 2pac paint even comes close to gel coat when it comes to durability.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

The answer is simple in my opinion. If you intend selling the finished project get a cheap 2pac paint job done, have it polished and sell it.

If you intend keeping the finished project, get the gelcoat done for longevity, look and durability.

Just my opinion of what I would do.

Good luck with the project

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

There's a whole bunch of stuff to consider here, first off, gelcoat was/is meant to go in a mould to achieve the glass like finish, spraying it is a lot of work, and requires considerable skill, gallons of Acetone to clean the gear when finished, and heaven forbid, you let it go off in the spray gun, once it's sprayed, it takes a lot of extra work to get the desired finish, it does not just go on smooth like paint, but, it is better in the long term.

$4k - $5k on an old Viking, I'm going to sell my old Viking for about $5k when I get around to it.