Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gelcoat or 2 PAC Paint

Re: Gelcoat or 2 PAC Paint

I did the 445 transom and sides in gelcoat
    Brushed it on and hired a large sander from kenards

Took a full day to get a decent finish and wasn’t that hard as could rotate the boat so was working downwards on the sides

Fathers panel shop was spraying two pac in 1986 when we moved to Aus and he started it up

I have found this bloke in the past to be really helpful...and this one is exactly on the question you have asked.....in the end its your money...and your choice!!!

Boatworks Today

International Yacht Paint make a 2 pack coating which you can apply by roller/brush, it is self leveling and comes up really nice at a reasonable thickness, unfortunately I cannot remember the actual product name but it was quite easy to use. Off memory it is a bit pricey, you may wish to ring them, they did quite a promo on it at one of the boat shows I attended a few years ago where they did half a hull to give people a comparison and it did look nice. I bought a pack when I did up the Scarab 2600 and was was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out.

It's called Perfection 2 pack Polyurethane, depending on how much effort you want to put in but there is also the Interprotect epoxy primer and also Perfection undercoat.

https://international-yachtpaint.com...hes/perfection.

Hi Fed, what year is your Viking, outboard & conditon of your boat and trailer?If it’s structurally sound and low hours on the motor am interested in purchasing for $5k.
    Cheers

Hi Fed, what year is your Viking, outboard & conditon of your boat and trailer?If it’s structurally sound and low hours on the motor am interested in purchasing for $5k.
    Cheers

Keep in mind u ideally paint the outside of hull in gelcoat and u paint the inside in flowcoat from my understanding, me personally i would go 2k paint in and outside just dont smash sinkers into it the 2k paint is hard and the fibreglass is soft so if u wack it with a decent sinker it may chip

If u go 2k paint dont go red or orange think i read something about red paint fades the quickest but being 2k modern paint it will last a very long time

With 2k paint u can ask to have your base and clear in one coat atlease with auto paint u can if marine 2k is simila r u may be able to squeeze some time in labor out of the painter in cost

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Could be flowcoat your thinking about. Gelcoat is used whilst the boat is in the mold. Not much difference between the 2 though. Personally, i think for a fibreglass boat, you have the added benefit of being able to use flowcoat. 2 pack or similar paints are the choice for aluminium boats because there is no option of flowcoat or gelcoat. Depending on the look you are going for, I used flowcoat on my cruisecraft, probably from a similar vintage to your boat. I left my finish as it was straight off the gun. No sanding at all after its sprayed on however I dont have the shine that you probably associate flowcoat with. Its more a matt finish. My boat has clinkers so it was a lot more difficult to sand so that was another reason I didnt bother. My boat was simply a boat I intended on using for fishing so I didnt need that classy shine like you get on a new boat. Might be an idea to talk to your fibreglasser about the level of finish you want. Usually you will start at say a 400 grit paper and go to say 600 grit and finish on a 800 griit and then a polish. Usually a few days work for a single person. With 2 pack paints there is a lot more preperation done before you spray whereas I find flowcoat a little more forgiving as long as your surface prep is ok it will turn out pretty good as you sand the finished product. but with 2 pack, you have to have the surface perfect before you spray, Personally, I prefer to wet n dry sand flowcoat than to sand n fair to the required finish for 2 pack.
    Thought about any DIY?? Could save you quite a bit of money.

Another thing to consider is future repairs.
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Pretty sure flowcoat won’t stick to 2 pac.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

To clear something up, gelcoat is designed to be sprayed into a female mould. It remains tacky until the next layer of material (usually fibreglass) is applied. The smooth mould produces the smooth finish that we see on a hull. Flowcoat is gelcoat with styrene added, to allow it to go off when exposed to air. Flowcoat is not usually viable for use as a paint on exterior surfaces, because it goes on like orange peel and requires extensive sanding to be made smooth and shiny.

I was just going to post something similar, gel coat and flow coat are for different purposes.

Gelcoat also changes colour as it ages white goes a off white colour it doesnt stay that snow white but that may be as it fades..

I have also read if u need to touch up gelcoat u cant just paint it on unsure why maybe it doesnt stick?

I have read gelcoat makes a good water sealing base coat for 2k paint to go over the top but keep in mind gelcoat does crack and craze

Gazza,
    You don't patch up gel coat with gel coat. You patch it up with flow coat and then sand it back and polish.. It's fine to lay over the top of gel coat. You just have to sand it a little to take the shine off. Then you spray or roll the flow coat straight over the top of it. I've been doing it all week at work..

Cox how come gelcoat cant be put over gelcoat in a repair?

isnt flow coat gel coat but with wax added

Gazza,
    the gelcoat will remain tacky. Just think of your resin with no wax added. Same concept..