Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The new Certate

Re: The new Certate LT

They would be Reggy. Plastic would be the ideal material to form the complex shapes required in those areas for minimal cost. They're cover plates so not a stressed component.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Hi Roo
    Yes, I would rather a more simple shape that could be made from aluminium. This would enable the parts to be more durable and therefore last longer.
    I do have reels with chrome coloured plastic parts , but they are closer to white now. They also crack easier than metal of course.
    I guess I am old fashioned, but I think for the price of these reels plastic is unacceptable. On cheap reels its understandable.
    I think for a lot of people, smoothness and bearing count are more important.
    Reggy

Aluminium is heavy. These reels are designed to be light.

Bearing count isnt everything....but its naive to think they dont make a difference, even if its subtle.
    In comparison to the older 2013 model Freams I'm looking to replace, the Freams has 2 plastic bushes in the line roller that while they wont rust, they don't roll particularly well unless kept clean of grit or salt and adequately greased. The Battler and other higher end Daiwa reels have 2 magsealed ball bearings that seal out contaminates and roll smoothly. A poorly performing line roller can create excess line twist and make line management difficult.
    Extra bearings to support the spool, mainshaft, drive gear and oscillation drive reduces friction and keeps the tolerances tight. They aren't entirely nescessary but they can make it a better experience.

I know I live in the past a bit. I do have a couple of more up market reels like my Daiwa Catalina, my Jigging Master twin drag PE5n., but my most valued reels are my DAM vintage spinners.
    It probably sounds absurd, but my best spinner , a reel I consider possibly the best spin reel made, for my needs anyway , which are simplicity, ease of maintenance, durability and strength. That is my DAM 3001. It has one ball bearing which is on the pinion gear and is quite a smooth running reel.
    If you are familiar with Alan Hawk`s reviews of spin reels, have a read of the one he wrote on the DAM 5001.
    Reggy

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I had a play in the Daiwa cabinet of a major tackle shop in Darwin today. I've been looking for a replacement for my '13 Freams 2500. I was looking at offerings from the LT Kix 3000 upto maybe the new Phantom Hyper 3000. They all felt pretty good but you feel the smoothness improve as you up the budget.
    Had a poke around the top shelf, LT Certates and Exist were very nice....but an odd one out caught my eye. An older model on clearance thats as light as the Exist and almost as buttery smooth with 10BB and Zaion body and rotor, made in Japan with magsealed body and lineroller. It was a TD Battler 2500. I'd never seen one these before. Original price was $700 but the clearance discount put it cheaper than the Phantom Hyper. The TD Black 3000 was my pick up until this point but the Battler has me thinking.... Japanese built older model, or newer spec made in China......same price.

Of note, I do all my research online before going to the shops...this shops reel pricing was cheaper than any deal I'd seen online.

Cheers, Roo.

Hey Rod

Did anyone ever buy one at the full rate ?

I could never work out the purpose of the model ……. yes you would step up from the lightweight luvias to the certate - but to then slot a lighter version of the certate with a polymer body below the Exist just seemed bonkers . There is some great polymer technology around these days but it still doesn't compare to a well machined alloy body - yes rotor , body no .

No doubt it's a good reel though ….. at the right price

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    I know I live in the past a bit. I do have a couple of more up market reels like my Daiwa Catalina, my Jigging Master twin drag PE5n., but my most valued reels are my DAM vintage spinners.
    I tend to fish lighter these days. Biggest reel I have is a first series 3500HD Certate and its seen little use since the SEQLD impoundments flooded in 2012. We did 2x fortnight stints in the East Kimberley Dec and Jan just gone and the only reels I used were a Zillion baitcaster (20lb) and the 2500 Freams (10lb)spinner. The Zillion handled the most Barra but the Freams took the biggest....admittedly the biggest was only mid 70'ish cm. Anyways, smooth tuned drags, lightweight and smooth operation is important to me when we don't fish often but put in long hours when we do.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Rod

Did anyone ever buy one at the full rate ?

I could never work out the purpose of the model ……. yes you would step up from the lightweight luvias to the certate - but to then slot a lighter version of the certate with a polymer body below the Exist just seemed bonkers . There is some great polymer technology around these days but it still doesn't compare to a well machined alloy body - yes rotor , body no .

No doubt it's a good reel though ….. at the right price

Chris
    The only info I could find was a short clip of Shannon Watson talking about it. Apparently a special Aus only build for 2015 based on the Luvius frame with a couple extras fitted.
    Other than that....nothing. if its still there when we go back to pick up Kim's 2500R from servicing, I might grab it.

The only info I could find was a short clip of Shannon Watson talking about it. Apparently a special Aus only build for 2015 based on the Luvius frame with a couple extras fitted.
    Other than that....nothing. if its still there when we go back to pick up Kim's 2500R from servicing, I might grab it.

Rod

if you can get it for $150 less than the new Certate it would be worth grabbing I reckon.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I tend to fish lighter these days. Biggest reel I have is a first series 3500HD Certate and its seen little use since the SEQLD impoundments flooded in 2012. We did 2x fortnight stints in the East Kimberley Dec and Jan just gone and the only reels I used were a Zillion baitcaster (20lb) and the 2500 Freams (10lb)spinner. The Zillion handled the most Barra but the Freams took the biggest....admittedly the biggest was only mid 70'ish cm. Anyways, smooth tuned drags, lightweight and smooth operation is important to me when we don't fish often but put in long hours when we do.

Yes, I understand the enjoyment you must get fishing your Daiwas. I have a TD Sol 2000 that I enjoy fishing for whiting with 6lb mono.

Re: The new Certate

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Bought one just don't no what its like yet no dealer had one local so I bought one online from the place I can't mention hear,if no one wants to stock one but still wants to advertise them ill buy from anywhere online that's easy to deal with and they wonder why tackle shops go out of business.
    Makes u wonder why tho maybe yhere is no decent profit for the business to squeeze out on those reels or maybe they think thry are not practical for our fishing style?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Makes u wonder why tho maybe yhere is no decent profit for the business to squeeze out on those reels or maybe they think thry are not practical for our fishing style?

Personally - I think they got the aesthetics of the reel all wrong - put one between a Luvias & a Certate and you'll see what I mean . Personal opinion , but if you are going to spend that much on what is essentially a higher end reel - buyers will want it to look the goods …….. blue , silvers , gold - but not red.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally - I think they got the aesthetics of the reel all wrong - put one between a Luvias & a Certate and you'll see what I mean . Personal opinion , but if you are going to spend that much on what is essentially a higher end reel - buyers will want it to look the goods …….. blue , silvers , gold - but not red.

Chris
    I did like the Z4500/6500 Saltiga Mavericks in the red Chris. Would be collectors items now I imagine and worth a bit if in mint condition. I remember not that long ago they brought out a certate limited edition 2500 in a yellow that looked pretty cool.

Chris
    I think Gazza was talking about Chris needing to order online as no stocks in store.

Gazza, I reckon the profit margin is much better on the high end items but your volume would be lower. As an indication, the reel I found was discounted by 50% off Retail. I remember one of the largest local Tweed tackle stores keeping a very good range of high end reels on hand but this place in Darwin had one of everything in the cabinet. Saltigas, Exist, Morethan, Certate......and so on in almost every size. This is a family owned store too, not a chain.

Rod

if you can get it for $150 less than the new Certate it would be worth grabbing I reckon.

Chris
    Certates $599, the Battler down to $350. Its tempting, but is the new Certate $150 better or is my $350 better spent on a newer LT model TD Black with line and schooner for change. Tackle torment.

I think Gazza was talking about Chris needing to order online as no stocks in store.

Gazza, I reckon the profit margin is much better on the high end items but your volume would be lower. As an indication, the reel I found was discounted by 50% off Retail. I remember one of the largest local Tweed tackle stores keeping a very good range of high end reels on hand but this place in Darwin had one of everything in the cabinet. Saltigas, Exist, Morethan, Certate......and so on in almost every size. This is a family owned store too, not a chain.

That always seems the case its always the little own and ran shops that actually stock what fishos actually want and need if u go to bcf its all the same shit just your usual branded gear nothing spectacular