Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The new Certate

Re: The new Certate

Give me Shimano any day,better reels in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Give me Shimano any day,better reels in the long run.
    What's a long run ?

Shimano have not really came up with anything brilliant in close to a decade - even their flagship reels are no longer contenders (we are talking spin) With the exception of Tiagra & Talica game Reels & a few other overheads they are well behind Daiwa …… To me Shimano is the Toyota of the fishing world.

Personal opinion

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: The new Certate LT

I donno guys i rarely skull drag a fish in or lock the drag so to speak i like to play a fish hence i use 6lb and 8lb mono i probably have 3-4lb of drag at best on the Sienna i do loose fish but i love that soft gentle drag where the fish can peel off the line like silk rather than pull line off in burst and jaggered runs

My Sienna is old but love it so much... especially when squid jigging u need a light tension on the reels winding just to slow your retrieve to 2-3rpm that is why i dont like using the Penn Slammer 260 the reeling is to loosely and smooth

But yeah that Shimano light drag is like going down a slippery dip filled with butter the light 1kg flexi rod may play a part in it too and soften the runs from the fish i donn

I just know i loved that combo untill a old friend snapped the rod in joulousness

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spinning- Daiwa.
    Trolling (game)-Shimano Tiagra/Talica or Penn International.
    Jigging/bottom bashing- Jigging Master.

All in my humble opinion as not to offend loyal brand buyers😎

I have a few stradic's and saragosa's, great reels, which I've given an absolute hammering over the journey.
    A mate I fish with, has the full arsenal of the stella sizes,, I still land the fish, same as him on his $1000 reels...
    I've fished a few Saltests and Stella's, in all honesty, without being all technical, ford vrs Holden.
    A guy I take heed of, Alan Tani, does some great break downs and assessments of most reels, he's worth looking up and reading his findings.
    There's not a hell of a lot in it between the top end spin reels, some have certain benefits over others.
    It's the old story, the Merc's of the 70's were crap and I'll never ever buy one scenario....
    My next big purchase is going to be a Saltest, never owned one, thought I'd have a go at it....
    Fish with what makes ya happy I say, the hype is just sales and marketing...

Col

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What's a long run ?

Shimano have not really came up with anything brilliant in close to a decade - even their flagship reels are no longer contenders (we are talking spin) With the exception of Tiagra & Talica game Reels & a few other overheads they are well behind Daiwa …… To me Shimano is the Toyota of the fishing world.

Personal opinion

Chris
    Out of the box Daiwa wins hands down on just about every reel from mid range up when you play with them in the shop.They are generally lighter and have less resistance/feedback through the handle when winding.Trouble is they wear very quickly and once a bit of wear creeps in it's impossible to get them back to what I consider acceptable.Daiwa are not noted for their back up and you would be surprised at how many newish reels are serviced/repaired with parts from lesser models or the customer sits and waits for sometimes months for parts to arrive.In fact the more you spend on a Daiwa the less chance you'll be able to fix it.Shimano on the other hand sell a comparable product that is by no means sub standard and they back it up with a comprehensive range of spares for every reel.Added to this generally all that's needed to get one back to perfect is bearings.Next time you get your reel serviced grab one of the shelf,with your eyes closed they should feel the same.

Maybe i am falling behind i dont even service my reels lol and i still talk them up... gee, where are u getting all your parts from ie drag washers, bearings, grease?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I donno guys i rarely skull drag a fish in or lock the drag so to speak i like to play a fish hence i use 6lb and 8lb mono i probably have 3-4lb of drag at best on the Sienna i do loose fish but i love that soft gentle drag where the fish can peel off the line like silk rather than pull line off in burst and jaggered runs

My Sienna is old but love it so much... especially when squid jigging u need a light tension on the reels winding just to slow your retrieve to 2-3rpm that is why i dont like using the Penn Slammer 260 the reeling is to loosely and smooth

But yeah that Shimano light drag is like going down a slippery dip filled with butter the light 1kg flexi rod may play a part in it too and soften the runs from the fish i donn

I just know i loved that combo untill a old friend snapped the rod in joulousness

Sent from my SM-G900I ing Ausfish mobile app
    mate I grew up on finesse & ultra light sport fishing ……. I actually got my ANSA sportfishing masters predominantly on 1 & 2 kg ( mono in those days) ….. so I get the whole softly softly approach & it is here that higher end reels excel as you do end up with a better feel for what the fish is doing - particularly if matched up with a high end rod.
    Trust me when I say there is a quantum difference when you move up the tackle ladder

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I have a few stradic's and saragosa's, great reels, which I've given an absolute hammering over the journey.
    A mate I fish with, has the full arsenal of the stella sizes,, I still land the fish, same as him on his $1000 reels...
    I've fished a few Saltests and Stella's, in all honesty, without being all technical, ford vrs Holden.
    A guy I take heed of, Alan Tani, does some great break downs and assessments of most reels, he's worth looking up and reading his findings.
    There's not a hell of a lot in it between the top end spin reels, some have certain benefits over others.
    It's the old story, the Merc's of the 70's were crap and I'll never ever buy one scenario....
    My next big purchase is going to be a Saltest, never owned one, thought I'd have a go at it....
    Fish with what makes ya happy I say, the hype is just sales and marketing...

Col
    Hi Col

In some ways you are right - there is some sales & marketing hype when it comes to fishing gear - without a doubt you can go and grab a $100 outfit & go out and catch some quality fish ….. no different to jumping into that Hyundai Accent & driving from Sydney to Brisbane ….. but I'll tell you now that you'll probably enjoy the trip more if you were doing it in a M3 BMW ? - I recently had that experience spending a week in this baby Audi .jpg

Now while I like my Navara & think its a great car …… it's not a patch on the Audi Q5 - comfort or driving experience ………. Fishing gear is no different & that's where I'm coming from ……
    just the other day - I spent 45 mins on a 15kg plus kingfish ……. 8kg custom built rod with a Shimano 6000 Thunnus - that fish pushed me to the limit but not the gear fighting a 15kg king.jpg118cm King (2).jpg…… & I had to fish it hard to stop it - time & time again - I was thankful that I was using the gear that I had (light & powerful)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris i target mostly the rats 62cm and under wont knock back a hoodlum tho but i find with the smaller kingys the harder u fight them the harder they fight back

I have caught a few 70cm kingys and only 1 kingy over 90cm, i faught that roughly 1m kingy so hard it faught back and almost kicked my ass i used a big overhead 15 or 25kg rod with a huge reel i think that may have been my first ever time using a big game rod and the kingy had that thing buckled over my mate actually thought the rod was going to snap! I was always under the assumption back than the biggrr the fish the harder u fight it

But now i have caught many rats up to 62cm i find if u play them light they are like a kitten if u fight one hard they turn into a angry cat and put up a much harder fight

Hi Chris, Yes, I do understand what you mean.
    I guess for me, I've fished with some of the real expensive gear, yes, beautiful, but it's not what floats my boat. I still drive an 18 year old Navara diesel, my wife has a car near 6 months old, I prefer mine, go figure !!!
    I have my internationals for the serious stuff, but below that, I suppose I'm old school, I have modded up old Penn's, which is the bane of all my mates with huge dollar tackle stables .
    I like the Saragosa for it's all round capabilties and the Stradic for where I fish in the local bay, more than capable, why my mates believe that a Stella is required just blows me away.... I am going to play with a Saltest, as mentioned before,, but for me, I get more satisfaction out of getting a 60 year old Squidder or Jigmaster, one piece frame it, trick it up with all the after market S/S parts being specially made and comes in at half the price of a decent Stella !!, but that's my choice to do this. I'll tell ya what though, either locally, out wide, on some big fish, They still pull them in, yes there high end gear is probably smooth as silk in doing so, But will they still be fish able in 50 years ?? I know my vintage modded up ones will be....
    I'm trying to organise a group of us to hit the three kings next year back home on a charter for 4-5 days, still organising it,, I grew up out there on an uncles charter boat out of the bay of islands, what has transpired just astonishes me, 3 of the blokes have heard how big the kingies get out there and how tough the tackle has to be, one bloke is saving up for a couple of those high branded huge priced egg beaters to take with him, another is saving for one of those 30'000 Stellas, I'll be there with my my 2 tricked up 50 year old Penn 6/0 senators, as I was bought up with. Apparantly, you cant catch giant Kings with this sort of tackle, it can't be done ..... I guess these modern group of Fisho's that I'll be taking are in for a huge surprise...
    We forget how things were done on linen lines back in the 20's-30's and 40's, with reels that are considered now, not up to it, funny how some still hold weight class records from back then, but thinking today has changed with modern technology. Just like cars as you mentioned, sure, modern vehicles are far superior in ride and comfort, I agree, but, I think some people are so invested in the " hype" of modern reels, and believe that only the high end ones are capable now days of catching that prize fish, in any weight class.
    But, no argument from me about the strength, smoothness etc of the modern high end reel, be it daiwa or Stella, they are true engineered masterpieces, beautiful in fact, just not for me, I have older lesser expensive reels that will do the same job, all be it, a little clunkier and not as smooth....
    Everyones different, I say good on anyone that wants to fork out for them, if ya can afford it, go for it i say....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good call ……. I absolutely love the Thunnus for my snapper fishing ( the whole baitrunner thing) Certainly these are well made & designed reels and a true step up from any other baitrunner style reel on the market.

Agree on the Saragosa - For the coin these are a great heavy duty reel that cover a wide range of sizes …… respect for the Gosa . The new Saltist Std is a better reel but it's going to cost $100 more & doesn't cover the biggest sizes as well as the Gosa range does . Yep that Gosa owns that slot .

Chris
    Hi Chris do you mean the Saltist Ltd? I believe the standard Saltist is just a pimped up BG with magseal being the only real difference

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Hi Chris do you mean the Saltist Ltd? I believe the standard Saltist is just a pimped up BG with magseal being the only real difference
    Yeh sorry - Ltd

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Guys when I started wearing out cheap reels I started spending 2to300hundred and thought that was a lot of money for a good reel and then as the reels got better so did the cost, the first high end reel cost me $630 to my door from Japan and that was $830 at ######## so I thought I did well ,but as the new reels come on line there jacking the price up another hundred the last Certate I bought was on sale at $420 and now the new luvias are $499 and $630 for the new Certate LT I don't like paying for them but I really like using them.

Chris, as mentioned, if you like to fish it, it's no one else's concern on how good it is or how much you payed, it's a personal thing, ya gotta be happy with what you use, otherwise there ain't much joy in that.
    For that same reason, that's why I build my own....... everyone's different, so you stick to what makes you happy, regardless of brand...

Col