Thread: 499 Stacer Crossfire vs Quintrex 500 Top Ender Pro

499 Stacer Crossfire vs Quintrex 500 Top Ender Pro

Hello ladies and gents.

I’m about to push the button on either of these and would love any info or advice from anyone who owns either boat.

Obviously they’re both made by Telwater and designed to compete with one another. Both V bottom and relatively deep.

I really like the flared upper hull on the Top Enders but hate the huge front anchor well. I haven’t used an anchor in years and for me it’s a waste of casting space.

As for the Crossfire, I like how there’s no anchor well and looking from the rear of the boat, the Crossfire looks more flat on the outer edges of the hull. I would like to know if this would make it more stable at rest over the Top Ender.

I’m solely a lure fisherman so my main use will be in creeks, flats and estuaries with the occasional trip in the bay. With that being said, I’d love to know what everyone likes/dislikes about them.

Also, what’s everyone’s opinion of resale between Stacer and Quintrex?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Re: 499 Stacer Crossfire vs Quintrex 500 Top Ender Pro

That funny kind of section on the Stacer does add stability, it's probably not dramatic, but every bit helps, both boats will perform pretty well the same, just pick the one with the layout you like, or the dealer that has the motor brand you want, or by price if there's a big difference.

That Stacer looks really nice love the storage space and if weather is rough u can lift up the casting platform to move a bit of your weight lower in the hull while casting lures etc..

Dont like the big worded stickers kind of makes it look cheap like they need to tell the world

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Had a look at a few Stacers the other day whilst waiting for the boys to put a new control board in my trolling motor.....after seeing lots of crappy welds on one I looked at a few more including some secondhand ones...same deal ...very ordinary welding, gunnels also just stitch welded which means the salt gets in between the alloy which may have had something to do with the paint blistering and lifting off all over...….

I have also had people personally show me cracked hulls, shit paintwork ,badly fitted hatches , rewelded ribs ,trailer issues , etc on relatively new boats...some have been left feeling quite aggrieved by Telwaters response as well..

IMO its best to do an ausfish and google search on Quintrex/stacer/telwater issues before putting down a deposit....sometimes QC is sadly lacking in a Corporate structure that pumps out 10K boats each year..some real lemons out there..

and looking at other competitive boat brands and comparing them is also a great idea..

Some of the issues make my Chinese boat look like a Ferrari...

What you say is probably kind of true, but, considering how many thousands there are in use, and the price paid, complaints are not that big, sure there might be much better/neater welds on custom boats, but the price reflects that too.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had an Aussie built Blue fin warrior in that size. Bloody tuff tinnie and welds and quality was exceptional for a mass produced boat. Don’t think they are made here anymore. Another brand I’d look at is Sea Jay. Not to many complaints I’ve come across with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I had an Aussie built Blue fin warrior in that size. Bloody tuff tinnie and welds and quality was exceptional for a mass produced boat. Don’t think they are made here anymore. Another brand I’d look at is Sea Jay. Not to many complaints I’ve come across with those.
    Yeah my 04 bluefin went through some crap and held up reasonably well but Had to have a few gussets welded into the front casting deck as did the bracket that held the twin batteries .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Yeah my 04 bluefin went through some crap and held up reasonably well but Had to have a few gussets welded into the front casting deck as did the bracket that held the twin batteries .
    Are they still built here? I used to run mine across the Northern bay from Beachmere to Curtain artificial and when the northerlies would catch me out at times coming home I always felt confident in its strength in shit confused slop.
    Wet, but what open boat isn’t in crap conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Are they still built here? I used to run mine across the Northern bay from Beachmere to Curtain artificial and when the northerlies would catch me out at times coming home I always felt confident in its strength in shit confused slop.
    Wet, but what open boat isn’t in crap conditions.
    Mine was an 04 predator and never felt like it was going to be a problem I am sure the new ones are made in China ,I’m scouting around for a new boat this year and trying to decide which way to go but it will be similar just a little bigger .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

You can get the gunnels fully welded as an option
    But dealers just want the cheapest sticker price for the packages on lot

Not defending quintrex
    But when’s the last time you’ve seen any tinny sink from busting a seam

Any light weight pressed hull will have issues when pounded through chop

And just as many welds cracked by trailers as rough water.

I brought my 490 topender mid oct 2018, first week had it up Lucinda, went out 44km to bramble reef, done 225hours now on 90 4st Yamaha
    I have no problem with 2 prawn net casting from cast deck, love all the front storage space, and also helps with the added weight up front
    everyone has their own opinion of different boats.....mine is easy to launch on my own, best boat I have owned, and at my age most likely the last, just change motor in another 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What you say is probably kind of true, but, considering how many thousands there are in use, and the price paid, complaints are not that big, sure there might be much better/neater welds on custom boats, but the price reflects that too.
    Pretty fair assessment really...though I still think QC and Quintrex reputation isn't what it was 20-30 years back when they were regarded pretty much as indestructible boats...

and its an interesting point mentioned by sheik about trailers and cracking as well...certainly is a lot of poor old hulls out there bouncing around on badly setup trailers..actually mine need work as well...

and steve as long as there is not more water coming into a boat then being pumped out, then most are able to get home safely and cracks, broken welds or splits in most ali boats are able to be relatively easily welded up or plated over...

Quote Originally Posted by JNaumov View Post
    Hello ladies and gents.

I’m about to push the button on either of these and would love any info or advice from anyone who owns either boat.

Obviously they’re both made by Telwater and designed to compete with one another. Both V bottom and relatively deep.

I really like the flared upper hull on the Top Enders but hate the huge front anchor well. I haven’t used an anchor in years and for me it’s a waste of casting space.

As for the Crossfire, I like how there’s no anchor well and looking from the rear of the boat, the Crossfire looks more flat on the outer edges of the hull. I would like to know if this would make it more stable at rest over the Top Ender.

I’m solely a lure fisherman so my main use will be in creeks, flats and estuaries with the occasional trip in the bay. With that being said, I’d love to know what everyone likes/dislikes about them.

Also, what’s everyone’s opinion of resale between Stacer and Quintrex?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
    If lure fishing is your thing then go glass there so much quieter than Ali boats and a deep v isn't the go on flats and up the creeks and estuaries don't look at what's popular look at what suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    If lure fishing is your thing then go glass there so much quieter than Ali boats and a deep v isn't the go on flats and up the creeks and estuaries don't look at what's popular look at what suits your needs.
    Excellent advice. Thank you