Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy corrosion

Dinghy corrosion

My boy’s have been given an old stessel edgetracker that has a few pin holes and corrosion inside on the floor from where salt water has sat (was a tender on a yacht Davit)
    I will weld the holes up but am not sure what to do with the surface corrosion?
    was going to try chemtech blitz but am open to other suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dinghy corrosion

Wow that has to be the worse i have ever seen a tinny, sorry cant help on how to clean it off but good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Use any chemical carefully, .i think you might find hundreds of tiny holes once you start cleaning.

This appears to be project better suited to
    a a garden ornament
    b an example of how not to store a tinny
    c a valuable lesson for your boys on the care and maintenance of "stuff"

As Noel suggested vigorous cleaning will likely identify many more holes

Have fun with it while spending as little as possible, some things are past their use by date
    What could go wrong.......................

I'm sure there was an old thread on here telling how boys were given a tinny and they sanded and scrubbed the hull clean and repainted it.

First trip out was along a dirt road to the ramp.

Launched it and watched it sink. Stone chips off the road went straight thru what was left of the now very thin ally.

Hope you have better luck.
    Don't want to jinx it, but
    make sure your boys wear lifejackets. And maybe just oars for the first trip. Leave the motor off just in case.

Cheers
    Gurn

probably 1.6mm -2mm ally to begin with
    i agree with the above comments and wouldnt be using it

Then again.. and this is probably going to be interpretted as a lousy suggestion in these 'kids in cotton wool - safety at any and all cost' days, but what the hell.

As a kid (geez... 50+ years ago now) we made canoes out of old sheet roofing corrugated iron, complete with rust and nail holes.
    We blocked the holes with tar gathered off the roads.

These things leaked like a sieve and needed someone on the bucket all the time while the other was fishing. Also cut us to pieces. Lucky we didn't get tetinus. (Spelling?)

We had an absolute ball in those in our local creek. We used to sink them in a deep hole rather than lug them home after a days fun.
    No bilge pumps or motors tho. We would have killed to get our hands on something like this.

Just sayin', (depending on the age of your boys), it may be great fun and a learning experience while it lasts, which might still be a while yet.
    Just don't get attached to it or go to silly places too far to easily swim to shore. Or put a lot of expensive fishing gear in it.

Also, like we used to do, have a float on a rope tied off somewhere solid so if it does go down it can be recovered.

And as for pin holes.... an aluminium rivet coated with sikaflex. Quick and easy. Had one from a lost and forgotten split shot sinker in my old tinny for years. Now owned by my son and still holding.

Cheers
    Gurn

Could the original poster possibly pressure wash the tinny using a sand blaster attachment?

I guess if he put several thick layers of paint on the bottom maybe even pick up half a used tin of anti foul from gumtree it may seal up the hull

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

First things first, no one knows if it will have holes, it's just a possibility, even though a pretty good possibility, just clean some on it and see what happens, no one is suggesting to take it on an ocean voyage.

Hard to tell as i stand upside down on my weary hands trying to get a good look at that image . as previousely mentioned Maybe no holes in it but if along your journey you find many , use it like Chimo sez and maybe save some grief of your Son comming at danger with this project (like sinking for isnstance ).
    Dont wish to be a party pooper but my Sons Life would be more important to me.
    BUT!!!! if you do sand or whatever you do to get rid of all that white poop and find no holes i'm sure there would be some kind of spray adhesive /Filler/resin or whatever that may fill what you take away in the quest for holes ??..
    And then a few good coats of paint ??, if the cost warrents the Boat??..

Maybe I should have included that we went out in our canoes fully expecting them to sink, which they did quite often, and acted accordingly.
    Sorry if it sounded like a 'throw caution to the wind' suggestion. Definately not my intention.

Cheers
    Gurn

back in the days before sika and silastic, blobs of araldite did the trick. lasted for years!

It's pretty hard to get a rigid "glue" like Araldite to stick to corroded Aluminium, add to that some flexing and it will not last, it's a good temporary patch.

Admittedly, back in the day, we used the original araldite before the 5 min stuff came out, it was quite soft when it hardened!

Back in our days stayed hard n rigid fer yonks , nothing made today like it useta be ey..