Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy corrosion

Re: Dinghy corrosion

Tend to agree with the general sentiment that she is unfortunately past her use by date. If however you still want to have a crack, this stuff works a treat https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...itre/1747.html

Just bear in mind you may well be creating a rather large colander. As for welding ally that far gone - don't bother. As suggested, drill the holes out and put a rivet with plenty of sika in them - provided they aren't in an area that will be dangerous to the feet.

flex tape;;; as seen on TV

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Tend to agree with the general sentiment that she is unfortunately past her use by date. If however you still want to have a crack, this stuff works a treat https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...itre/1747.html

Just bear in mind you may well be creating a rather large colander. As for welding ally that far gone - don't bother. As suggested, drill the holes out and put a rivet with plenty of sika in them - provided they aren't in an area that will be dangerous to the feet.
    Yep, had to do that where I couldn't reach under the thwart seat. I also put some ally tape (used for sealing ducting in ac) over it and still there 20 hours later. Personally, I would just spray the whole thing with lanotec, let it sit in the sun for a couple of weeks until it loses it's tackiness and then use it.

Could old mate possibly brase something over the holes since the aluminium is so contaminated?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

There are some you beaut rods I have seen advertised , they look like braising but for alloy. Apparently you can’t even drill through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect any sort of soldering/welding/brazing is really not an option. Spray something over the lot inside and outside to seal it all in and get a couple of years out of it. Any sort of sanding or cutting back will most certainly expose more problems.
    The other option is to get what you can from recyclers.

This is the type of boat I always recovered as a kid. We patched them up with coke cans and car bog etc. Always leaked but provided hours and hours of entertainment. Ok to use in creeks where if it sinks you can swim to the banks, Bad if you did what we did and launch from double island point but still survived.

That pic brings back a lot of good memories boating and fishing as a kid!

Old mate has tinny he got for a carton, 3 years sitting and this is where it's going
    Aluminum $ 1.00~$1.50

Profit just but pain in the arse getting it home and to scrappies

Sometimes, don't pick up other peoples crap and actually think it can be saved or turned into a diamond.

People will try and sell crap and unfortunately people do buy crap, if you have somewhere to store crap and don't mind crap hanging around , go for it. If they are selling it cheap or giving it away it probably is crap!!!!
    To the original poster it was given so all good it was free, but it will cost something, maybe you got a winner, all the best mate

Cheers
    Muz

You cant make strawberry jam out of pig $hit.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Mick
    What if said pig lived on strawberries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=shaungonemad;1665875]What if said pig lived on strawberries?

Then said pigs $hit will still taste like Pig $hit. If you start out with Pig $hit you will end up with Pig $hit. Just a fact of life,but youre more than welcome to prove me wrong Shaun,but get used to the taste.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Mick
    I donno about that one someone some where in the world would have tried it lol

I mean there are people out there drinking coffee that a animal has crapped out...

Keep tasting Gazza and let me know when you eat pig $hit that tastes like strawberry jam.
    Then I will change one of my favourite sayings. Until then,I still reckon it cant be done but you are welcome to try it by the ton to prove me wrong .
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I mean there are people out there drinking coffee that a animal has crapped out...
    Don't knock it till you try it.

An to the original post. I would have a had a go at some spray type product when I was a younger man. As said above depending on where you plan on punting about in this thing it could provide a day or several years of fun. I've still got a 9ish foot tinny leaning against the fence at my mother's house that I car topped all over Cape York that still sees duty crabbing when I'm visiting. It is on it's second transom (hence the odd length) and has many tubes of various sikaflex applied. These days it is a 2 person crabbing operation as one person has to be free to bail at all times. Great fun but I'm not crossing Bass Strait in it or leaving it anchored.

Cheers Matt

And don't try cleaning it, encapsulate it all together, you can always paint it.