Thread: Suzuki DT15 2 stroke rectifier..

Suzuki DT15 2 stroke rectifier..

Hey guys,

I've got a 2012 DT15 Suzuki 2 stroke, I have a bought and fitted a rectifier to it, it had a red, yellow, white and black wire which i know is the ground on it, the wires from under the flywheel are red, yellow and a red with a yellow trace..

I connected the red to red and yellow to yellow, black to the motor, and i'm assuming the white is the output the battery...

But I don't get anything out of it with a multimeter on the battery......

If i connect the red wire of the rectifier to the red/yellow trace from under the flywheel it,ll charge but went up to 16 volts which to me is far too much....

Can anyone tell me what the go is...

cheers!!

Re: Suzuki DT15 2 stroke rectifier..

First up - zero experience with hooking up Suzuki rectifiers. Done plenty of OMC / Yamaha / Mercury though. Is yours a genuine Suzuki part or aftermarket?

Given those wire colours on the rectifier, I would have guessed Black - negative, Red - positive output to battery, White and yellow - AC input wires.

I have found one reference to a Suzuki two stroke having two output coils which could well explain the three wires. One is an AC lighting coil - max output 30 watts, one is the charge coil - max output 80 watts.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...utboard.35492/

If your motor is the same, two of the three wires would connect to the AC input wires - polarity wouldn't matter. Unfortunately I can't find a reference to which wires are which.

Output of a rectified charging circuit on a small motor is directly relevant to a combination of RPM and load imposed on the output by the battery. At low RPM they output next to nothing unless they are run unloaded with a battery disconnected. You won't see a charging voltage typically until you are running at a decent rpm. If however you run at high RPM with the battery disconnected, voltages potentially in excess of 100 volts may be seen. If your battery isn't imposing enough load on the output, you will also see higher voltages. If you are seeing voltages up around 16 volts once it's connected correctly, you will need a rectifier - regulator that not only turns the AC to DC but also limits the voltage to prevent damage to electronics and the battery.