Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor options

Anchor options

Hello....

Looking at a new anchor set up for a 18ft shark cat.. options are:

• Size 3 Sarca
    • Lone star MMX size 3 as well

Would couple up with a bow spirit from the respective company.

It would be used with a Tuff Winch as well... I have the tuff winch (was a freebie) and will use it until it dies....

thanks in advance.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Anchor options

Sarca #3 for an 18ft Sharkcat? Mostly only go to the #3 for 7m and over boats. I've been using a #2 on my Reefrunner ( just on 2 tonne in the water fuelled) for the near 2 years I've had it, anchor a lot, including sleeping on board, never had a problem. They have very good holding power for their weight. If it was just a CQR/plough type, would be using 9kg. Just make sure that, as with any anchor you have enough chain. I'm using 7 m of 6mm.

the guys from anchorright (sarca) told me to use a sarca #3 on the 18ft shark cat due to the twin hulls and the additional wieght... I called to ask re #2 or #3...

thanks for the tip on the chain as I was thinking about using 6 metres of 8mm short link chain. General rule of thumb is chain the length of the boat i believe....

Definitely length of the boat for chain length and more if you can. I run 20m of 6mm on my 7m cat and have never had a worry. When i'm spearing i dont even see the anchor move as the chain does all the work..

Chain is all about weight in an anchoring set up. It's all about establishing a catenary in the anchor line to absorb any snatching that may be induced by wave action. If you run a light chain like 6 or 8mm short link, you will need more length than if you were to run 10mm (as an example). I have a gpysy winch that takes 6mm short link - thus I run about 20 metres. If it was chain that weighed 3 times as much per metre, I would, to a point, get the same result from 1/3 the length . There are some advantages to running more length of lighter chain - main one being it lifts from the bottom where it's attached to the rope under the weight of the boat in any tide or breeze easier - thus has more chance of getting the connection away from sources of abrasion. It also means that if anchoring overnight in shallow reefy areas, it's possible to basically possible to have either no or minimal rope in the water - thus doing away with any chance of having the rope rub through.

I'm running a super sarca 3 with 6.5m of shortlink on a 2.5 tonne 6.5m plate mono, it had a good test on a camping trip a while back (25 from the SE) and never looked like moving (nearly wore through the rode on the bowroller though!!). As a second anchor i run a sarca excel in a number 2, its equally as good as the super. The excel models have a higher holding power than the originals so are rated a size lower for the same size boat if you know what i mean. If your worried about a super sarca 2 being not up to it maybe give an excel 2 a go. Just another option to think about.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Chain is all about weight in an anchoring set up. It's all about establishing a catenary in the anchor line to absorb any snatching that may be induced by wave action. If you run a light chain like 6 or 8mm short link, you will need more length than if you were to run 10mm (as an example). I have a gpysy winch that takes 6mm short link - thus I run about 20 metres. If it was chain that weighed 3 times as much per metre, I would, to a point, get the same result from 1/3 the length . There are some advantages to running more length of lighter chain - main one being it lifts from the bottom where it's attached to the rope under the weight of the boat in any tide or breeze easier - thus has more chance of getting the connection away from sources of abrasion. It also means that if anchoring overnight in shallow reefy areas, it's possible to basically possible to have either no or minimal rope in the water - thus doing away with any chance of having the rope rub through.
    I prefer shorter heavier chain especially if anchoring overnight or through a tide change on reef areas as I have had the long chain snag around reef as the boat changes direction and getting it off was very time consuming. It happens far less frequently with the shorter heavier chain.

You guys ever lose these expensive anchors and chains? seems crazy to spend hundreds of dollars on a anchor when u could lose it first drop plus all that expensive chain and rope $$

i have lost anchors before and its a real pain in the ass when u lose it and cannot go back out or even stay out that day with no anchor

i see this sarca anchor gets a really good mention i have not looked up there prices in a long time but surely cant be cheap enough to lose one day go buy another the next day

holly crap $330 anchor that sarca 3

when your boat is worth over 100k whats $300 for an anchor... why the heck would you skimp out on the very thing that guarantees the safety of your boat in a storm... thats small thinking mate...

Yeah true i guess if your boat is worth 100k the anchor would be loose change but the anchors are not cheap are they

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I used a size 3 on a 7m boat which came with it. In Moreton Bay I gave up on it quickly. Also had a size 2 which I gave away. Now use a 4kg Rocna which I had, which was going to just be temporary until buying a larger one. It works so well it has stayed in use.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah true i guess if your boat is worth 100k the anchor would be loose change but the anchors are not cheap are they

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    i have a 100k boat and losing an anchor hurts the back pocket. I don’t even like losing a $20 lure. Just because you have a big dollar boat doesn’t mean you are rich. Maybe you have saved for yrs.

You guys ever lose these expensive anchors and chains? seems crazy to spend hundreds of dollars on a anchor when u could lose it first drop plus all that expensive chain and rope $$

i have lost anchors before and its a real pain in the ass when u lose it and cannot go back out or even stay out that day with no anchor

i see this sarca anchor gets a really good mention i have not looked up there prices in a long time but surely cant be cheap enough to lose one day go buy another the next day
    Yep. lost a couple but only reef picks. Had a mate lost two sarcas in two trips before he realised what was causing it - sharp edge on the bowsprit. I got one back for him out of 22 metres diving but couldn't find the second one in 30 odd off Cape Moreton - bit of a nervous dive that one.

Lost a Mooloolaba Pick first drop, misjudged the wind and current and got hopelessly snagged.I was in too much of a hurry as had a very good show on the sounder. I tried a Sarca with the slide but lost it on the third trip out, fortunately picked it up relatively cheaper than retail when BIAS Boating went bust and all their stuff was auctioned off.
    It hurts but at the end of the day, i carry spares and getting home safe is the ultimate aim.