Thread: Downriggers

Downriggers

Hi all looking for some down rigger info for trawling lures with them, do the lures reach the normal running depth when attached to a down rigger or do they run a bit shallower then there designed running depth.

What I want to know is if I have a lure that ran 15foot deep and put the down rigger down 30foot would I get the lure to 45feet or would it run that bit shallower.

Re: Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Hi all looking for some down rigger info for trawling lures with them, do the lures reach the normal running depth when attached to a down rigger or do they run a bit shallower then there designed running depth.

What I want to know is if I have a lure that ran 15foot deep and put the down rigger down 30foot would I get the lure to 45feet or would it run that bit shallower.
    Hard to say exactly what depth you will be running at with blowback on the bomb from the wire and the darg imposed by the lure but I usually factor the lure diving to it's usual depth below wherever the bomb is.

Not sure how big of a lure but i have used my downrigger a ton i have been using one for the past 10 years, ive only ever used Canon and Scotty release clips Scottys are good if your downing a strip of squid it releases so gently however the Canon clip is built like Arnie the grip is really strong on the pads this would be my option for lures its also tension adjustable

I have tried rapala lures in both clips and they dont hold however these are 6"+ lures if u run a little bream lure in it will work marvlously

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Don't do it often but I have trolled lures down to 50-70 metres for snapper. I rig with a rubber band that is strong enough to troll the lure and set the hooks but then breaks to release (using a 10lb bomb). One clip I have is screw tension adjustable so we just do it up so it won't release. If I run the second rigger that doesn't have a screw release, I just use a clip swivel through the rubber band.

Yer that's been on my mind too the clip and will it hold, all the youtube stuff is for Salmond and live baits and they use spoons and such so not much drag ,I'm thinking the rubber band might do the trick and I thought the lure might float a bit higher than its depth rating because of water pressure but it might have to be really deep for that too take affect don't expect much warp in the bomb wire at the depths I want to use one for ,but in 50mts and more there would be a bit of warp to factor in.

At depth it will be less buoyant - more weight on top of it - just like scuba diving. Depending on drag and bomb weight, blowback is surprising. A 3lb bomb can end up back a heap in 10 metres with a bit of current and drag.

Yeah Scott is right the drag on the bomb is huge at good depths my best bomb was a 3lb and no more than 40ft of water i have a 8lb bomb but seem not to catch as many fish

Yer I'm thinking there might be some acoustics coming from the wire when you go to a heavier bomb.

The steel cable on my lake troll canon didnt last long couldnt stand the humm i spooled mine up with 100lb braid from ebay

A little tip some bombs show up on fish finders so check out the screen as your lowering it to get the right depth

Dont ever snag the bottom of the ocean! I have been fortunate to date but i have heard the stories..

If u see a line at the back of the bom on the fish finder its likely a fish following the bomb king fish tend to do this as they are very inquisitive and they'll eat anything they can so they think the bomb is food

I started off using this plastic downrigger called a Attwood downrigger just a little cheapie was about $200 back than quiet a dicky model when u hook up and u need to wind it in lol but it has caught 3x 1 meter king fish off botany bay heads

Heres a kingy i caught at port kembla on the attwood downrigger i also caught a samson fosh on it too at port kembla

U can see the downrigger off the transom under my left armAttachment 120809Attachment 120810

Cjris, i've used the rubber band as per scottars post with lures down to about 50 or 60 and i found it workable, x-raps will break the odd band in my experience, the braid outrigger line is way better than wire i recon and you get less rise in the bomb

Other system that i run now is to run a hollow core dacron loop (as per an outrigger dac loop) on your main and stick a blacks clip (to take the dac loop) behind the bomb, this works really well, adjust the blacks clip up good and tight for the x raps and away you go no dramas. Google "outrigger dacron loop" if your not familiar with this type of setup.
    Scott

Yeah me and an old mate had to resort to rubber bands a couple of times as i lost my clip, the bans work really well just takes a few more moments to set up i really prefer the simplicity of the made release clips