Thread: Expections meet reality

Expectations meet reality

Well , here I am at Crowdy Head NSW for my first fishing trip - Day one done & dusted but with some shitty weather today I'll put up a little report .
    It's not often that you have the kind of day that I experienced yesterday at a new destination - which literally was a case of having a wow moment in the first 10 mins.
    I arrived on Sunday evening & swagged t the boat ramp planning for an early morning fish but the storms in the area & a screaming noreaster had me doubting it- set the alarm for 4.30 am & it was still blowing … so I did what most people would do , go back to sleep . Big mistake - I woke at about 6am to pretty good conditions & so by the time I launched it was near to 7am . I'd been given some tips from a bloke who I met at South West Rocks back in Sept ( thanks Dan) & so headed north to spot X . It took me about 5 mins to find what I was looking for - deployed the minn kota & hit spotlock .
    Here's the deal - In my excitement to hit the water - I forgot the decent bait & only took the remnants of my pillies & some frozen slimies from my last trip . plus a lot of whitebait that I collected off a beach near the boat ramp to use as burly .
    Anyhoos what happened over the next 90 mins blew my mind - the 10 slimies (fished whole) were converted to 7 snapper over 60cm - the best going 73cm . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Crowdy head snapper (2).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	120755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72cm Crowdy Head Snapper (2).jpg 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	120756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The fun continues .jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	120757 The pillies took smaller fish in the 45 - 50cm class . Then I ran out of bait . It was so hectic that I could only fish 1 outfit my plan was to fish two . There were a couple that I couldn't stop on 20 & 30lb … both felt like snapper so no doubt there are those 20lbers there. As this was the start of a 2-3 week road trip I kept 3 fish for meals over the coming days & the rest were released. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catch & release.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	120758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 for the table.jpg 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	120760

At this point I've gotta say that there is something specially about fishing for snapper in shallow water (<20m) on baitrunners . When a decent snapper hits - that whirring spool gets the blood running & when you turn the handle loading up the rod with the drag screaming - it's addictive & something that has reinvigorated my enjoyment of bait fishing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hookup.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	120759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crowdy Snapper (2).jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	120762

Knowing what I just experienced I decided to search for some slimies to stock up for the next session - filled the livewell & went prospecting - A couple of livies were hit but nothing much & as I needed to book into the caravan park I pulled the pin at around 2pm in what were still very good conditions. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glamour conditions.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	120761

No doubt over the coming days if the weather improves I'll do some placcy fishing or micro jigging but I'll find it hard to go past that shallow water baitrunner fishing. Who knows my planned 4 day stay might stretch out a few more before I head to Evans head .

More to come

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Re: Expectations meet reality

Nice way to start your travels mate

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Nice way to start your travels mate
    Ahhh but will the rest of the trip ?

fished this morning & the current has swung from a little south current to a rippin north …… fish were harder to find & they were not of the same class as Mondays fish - Normally you'd be pretty pleased to land 10 around 45cm ……. kept 3 for meals .

Apparently the rain is coming - so lets see what pans out

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Great fishing report. Sounds like one of those days to remember well. Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Ausfish mobile app

Definately shows how fickle fishing can be - tides , weather , current etc …… & those bloody mutton birds

Still managing to get some fish - best ths morning was a 63cm snap Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wet weather snapper .jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	120786 most were around that 40-45 mark with these two being the smallest Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 at once .jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	120785 1 bait = 2 fish
    Kept the 63 for lunch & dinner
    The rain has come & settled in …. & the seas are pretty shitty .
    Mind you it's a pretty good & safe base ….. a small harbour with no bar crossing is a rare thing in mid & north NSW Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crowdy head harbour .jpg 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	120787

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Would love to catch a snapper that soze well done looks like the overcast day produced

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Done good Nagg
    Great read
    Thanks for sharing
    Be interesting to have seen how your jigs would have done day one
    Took a mate out deeper water but his five biggest snapper were all on jigs
    Cheers Chris
    Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev