Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Electric Wire

Re: Trailer Electric Wire

Trev, tinned is better but with the long lengths if cable Not too much of an issue, also better quality lights have more layers of resin over the circuits, you'll need to see if you can find details on the ones you purchase.

Thanks heaps guys
    I will get the Narva lights

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Like Ozscott's, all of my lights - including the clearance lights, my brake unit and the trailer plug go to a junction box mounted below the winch on a right angle brace that is part of the post. Jaycar have some cast aluminium junction boxes that are less likely to fail in time with UV exposure - I used one of these with proper IP rated cable glands for each cable fitted into the bottom surface. Use some good anti-seize on the screws. I used the Narva trailer lamps as they were the best value with a decent (5 year) warranty. A big tip with the LED lights is do not over tighten the mounting fastenings. Most light mounting plates aren't perfectly flat and tightening the bolts right up will crack the light fittings. Use nyloc's so you don't have to tighten them past the point of contact and you should be fine. My trailer had joins inside the frame where the clearance markers conencted. I didn't need to replace the clearance markers so I used dual wall heatshrink and tinned 4mm twin and joined the cables. There were some available with longer cables - Narva 91403 - they have a 2.5 metre cable rather than the usual half a metre so the joins are at least further forward hopefully out of the water if you sink it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Like Ozscott's, all of my lights - including the clearance lights, my brake unit and the trailer plug go to a junction box mounted below the winch on a right angle brace that is part of the post. Jaycar have some cast aluminium junction boxes that are less likely to fail in time with UV exposure - I used one of these with proper IP rated cable glands for each cable fitted into the bottom surface. Use some good anti-seize on the screws. I used the Narva trailer lamps as they were the best value with a decent (5 year) warranty. A big tip with the LED lights is do not over tighten the mounting fastenings. Most light mounting plates aren't perfectly flat and tightening the bolts right up will crack the light fittings .
    Absolutely. My first set of Narva submersible lights cracked easily with a slightly wonky plate even though they had foam. Have to be so careful with them. I suspect the new ones are more robust with a 1.piece fascia.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I got this kit today from Repco
    I will make sure I don't over tighten the nyloc nuts
    Just need it to stop raining IMG_20200212_150114.jpgIMG_20200212_150118.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Noice m8.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I like that junction box install method i may use that idea so if my dogs chew the plug i only have to replace 1m of cable and the plug rather than splice in a new cable and plug making it look terrible and hacked

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app