Thread: aluminium boat trailers

aluminium boat trailers

Hi folks, I'm looking at buying a new tinny and the Quintrex boats come with an Alloy trailer I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with these trailers or is there anything to look out for, or would the old galvanised steel trailer be a better choice.?

Re: aluminium boat trailers

No negatives
    I’ve had both a 420 renegade tiller with the larger brakes version and now a side co sole with the light non brakes version
    The wobble like a wet noodle with no hull on them

Quintrex were fitting cheap tyres and lights

I regret not getting the braked one as it’s more substantial and my hill is borderline for the weight capacity of the lighter one

But that’s a dealer being dodgy issue not the trailers fault

Thanks Steve, I'll keep doing my homework.

I did hear of some early ones having bolt problems (no first hand, just "heard") no such negatives for ages now, there's lots of them around, so plenty of chances to give trouble, so they must be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I did hear of some early ones having bolt problems (no first hand, just "heard") no such negatives for ages now, there's lots of them around, so plenty of chances to give trouble, so they must be OK.
    That was the early ones Noel , I put one with brakes under my bluefin and it was still in great condition when I sold the boat 2 years ago . I put quit a few Klms on it going up and down the qld coast and all was good .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Have seen the SHS cross members tear where they are bolted to the chassis so that is something to look out for. Rough corrugated roads are the enemy of these light duty trailers, that is the limit of my first hand experience though

Thanks guys, I was looking at a trailer on a Quintrex hull and they had what seemed like ordinary galvanised bolts going through the alloy, I thought they would have used stainless steel bolts to reduce the corrosion problem with alloy when used with other metals.

Stainless reacts with Aluminium too, and steel bolts are stronger.

Galvanised steel bolts are the lease to corrode on aluminium if u look up the chart you'll see it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app