Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bar crushers Opinions?

Bar crushers Opinions?

I recently went to a marine dealer to jump on a Formosa they had in stock , I was very close to ordering a 620 or 660 .I saw the dealer had Bar crushers in stock and I was pretty floored by the finish in comparison to the Formosa .I am chasing opinions from anyone who has fished or owns a 615 or 670 C or HT in bar crusher ?What did you like about them ? what did you not like about them ? I fish with my wife and kids when they come otherwise we'd be Island hoping up in Sunny NQ.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Bar crushers Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Billdust View Post
    I recently went to a marine dealer to jump on a Formosa they had in stock , I was very close to ordering a 620 or 660 .I saw the dealer had Bar crushers in stock and I was pretty floored by the finish in comparison to the Formosa .I am chasing opinions from anyone who has fished or owns a 615 or 670 C or HT in bar crusher ?What did you like about them ? what did you not like about them ? I fish with my wife and kids when they come otherwise we'd be Island hoping up in Sunny NQ.
    Owned one. Would never again. Enough said.

Damn!! Fair enough hey do you prefer Glass ? or did you have problems with the Crusher?

I have a 615WR ….. same hull

The build quality is right up there with the best of them - welds / finish & fit out is all quality .
    The ride is pretty reasonable - it's not glassesque but if you drive them thoughtfully the ride is very good - with trim tabs (a must ) they handle most sea conditions pretty well . At rest they are very stable & are as good as any boat I've fished out of.

The only real negative for me is the use of a sump & bilge pump rather than scuppers - the trade off with the ballast hull and lower centre of gravity.

I'll go out on a limb and say they are pretty well at the top of the tree for a production alloy boat .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My mate had one for a while, hated the fold down hard top, he was never really happy with the boat, sold it after about 18 months and bought another brand plate boat and loves it.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn!! Fair enough hey do you prefer Glass ? or did you have problems with the Crusher?
    Very wet boat. The sound at rest with the ballast system annoys the crap out of me plop.plop,plop. Banged hard in any chop. I could go on but I’ll upset Barcrusher owners as they have a huge following.

They market their boats incredibly well. I do prefer glass, but there are quality custom plate manufacturers out there that I would certainly look at. Svennson, Performance Plate, Moda, Fisher, AMM, and my personal favourite Riptide.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Very wet boat. The sound at rest with ballast system annoys the crap out of me plop.plop,plop. Banged hard in any chop. I could go on but I’ll upset Barcrusher owners as they have a huge following.
    Second that. Did 5 days in one once, northern fishing comp. Some bluewater, some inside the gulf.( Exmouth) Very wet if you are the slightest bit into the sea, absolutely hate a quartering head sea--that continuous vee seems to mean you are presenting a flat surface to a chop on the bow quarter, and they pound really, really, hard. Filling loosening stuff. The same vee means they are not "too" bad directly into it. Stability was fine out wide. We were bashing really hard coming back into the marina one afternoon, pounding relentlessly, only doing 16 knots and standing up and hanging on into one of those afternoon sou'westers with an incoming tide, and a Cruisecraft 625 went past us at 20 knots, blokes were sitting down.
    Fit, finish, and layout is fine, except for lack of shelter--seats are too far back, very wet.

See if you can find the review on youtube of the Quintrex Trident vs the 615 BC--I thought the Trident was much better value for money, believe it or not. The BC's owner has since sold it--I spoilt him on the Caribbean Reefrunner.

Are you in Townsville mate..?

Personally if I were you would take a deep breath and spend some time riding in a few different boats before laying down your cash....maybe jump on a local facebook fishing forum group and offer to pay the fuel costs in return for a good day out on some comparative boats...…

Just the fact that you almost forked out maybe 100K on a Formosa makes me shudder …..a boat with and 18.5 degree deadrise is going to ride horribly in the FNQ chop and Formosa are renowned for it......very wet and bang like a thai hooker...but lots of people buy them....seen the new ones with decals stating "Aquatic weaponry" taking up the whole side...that sort of gives a good indication of the demographic they are targeting...?

I don't rate BC very highly for our FNQ waters..too light, too pointy in the nose and wet and slappy in those quartering head seas we often get up here and they seem very narrow compared to most other 6m boats...and those folding hardtops have to be the gayest invention known to man...I also don't like how the cabin sides extend right out to the outer edge of the gunnels..we live in sunny FNQ ..boating up here with kids means island hopping, snorkelling, standing up on the gunnel beside the solid hardtop spotting whales and dolphins, kids sitting up the front of the cabin with the wind in their hair and giving mum and dad a bit of space..lol) and who wants to have to hunker down like a hobbit just to get up through the front hatch anyway.... For comparison sake also be aware they are now measured in LOA...

I don't really sea any place for a New Zealand designed boat in GBR waters as Qld has quite a few small builders that make great boats and cabin configurations to suit our seas and lifestyle....

Well worth taking a look at a full footprint cabin centre cab ..the kids will love that extra dimension to outdoor living and it gives a great place to lure fish from as well if you want to chase a few barra or jacks up the rivers and easy access for a trolling motor......

Cheers mate

Awesome appreciate the feedback mate.

I'll check the trident's out cheers mate

In Cairns mate , I will definitely check other builders out based the feedback I am getting.Stability at rest is key for us, we had a Mustang bluewater 20 footer and it rolled horribly on the pick , it rode very well compared to the last Plate boat I had but the roll was a deal breaker with the Fam... Thanks for the feedback mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I have a 615WR ….. same hull

The build quality is right up there with the best of them - welds / finish & fit out is all quality .
    The ride is pretty reasonable - it's not glassesque but if you drive them thoughtfully the ride is very good - with trim tabs (a must ) they handle most sea conditions pretty well . At rest they are very stable & are as good as any boat I've fished out of.

The only real negative for me is the use of a sump & bilge pump rather than scuppers - the trade off with the ballast hull and lower centre of gravity.

I'll go out on a limb and say they are pretty well at the top of the tree for a production alloy boat .

Chris
    Gee Chris that makes me wanna go hard top again lol

In Cairns mate , I will definitely check other builders out based the feedback I am getting.Stability at rest is key for us, we had a Mustang bluewater 20 footer and it rolled horribly on the pick , it rode very well compared to the last Plate boat I had but the roll was a deal breaker with the Fam... Thanks for the feedback mate.
    Yeah mate...ride vs stability is the big issue for me too...my son gets awfully seasick if the boat is rolling around but I have I worn out back and sciatic nerve pain...looked at many hull designs quickly discarded Formosa, Tabs, Quintrex, BC etc and then priced some QLD custom builders..(svvenson, Performance plate ,Omm, hammerhead etc....but I ended up going with the china built Centrecab Supervee hull design (Jacob Noble is building them in Australia again now too).....335mm wide double reverse chines give excellent stability at rest as well as keeping the boat dry and cushioning the landing when going over waves and 24 degree deadrise gives about as good a ride as possible...the bottom design also mean the hull is very straight sided which makes for a very spacious boat and cabin...

Just to give an idea about relative boat size between BC and Supervee...I know which I'd rather be in coming back 60-70 kms from the reef into a 15-20knt NW afternoon gale...bc vs noble.jpg