Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bar crushers Opinions?

Re: Bar crushers Opinions?

I personally think there was a revolution around the late 1990's and alloy boats became far superior to glass boats the common missconception "ally boats have floatation and are unsinkable" and they done have plywood to rot

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    I have a large scupper with an alloy cover and deck is dry and doesn’t allow much water in as the pressure keeps it shut if backing up the deck gets more wet hosing down with deck wash!
    Stevej When you have a sealed deck and independant sealed bulkheads then there is no requirement for bilge pumps so it is all in the design, personally a lot of boat designs with scuppers and bilge pumps aren’t true sealed decks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can see my centre scupper and flap in the middle under the rear bench seat..also have 2 bungs in each corner....the centre flap i have attached an esky bungy to seal it when not needed as the Supervee has a low floor and when a bit rough or reversing, some water can slosh in through the edges of the flap...

Its also annoying as you need almost a cm of water against the inside transom wall till any actually escapes..so it means the floor is always wet after using deckwash, or getting back in after diving or with some rain...…

Although during summertime the bit of water keeps the floor cooler I would like to have both the big scupper flap and also a small sump with bilge pump to keep the floor relatively dry in the winter.... bit of a pain trying to retrofit something to suit though not impossible ....

Shouldnt be too hard for you though Nagg, if you really wanted the safety of a big scupper opening....just a grinder with a aluminium cutting disc and a cutting board and a couple of hinges..only take an hour or so....the larger model BC have them dont they...?

DSCN1771.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I personally think there was a revolution around the late 1990's and alloy boats became far superior to glass boats the common missconception "ally boats have floatation and are unsinkable" and they done have plywood to rot

Most alloy boats just rely on air chambers to stay afloat. Certainly not unsinkable if the hull is holed/ a major weld fails. A boat is only truely unsinkable if it has suffucient foam floatation and preferably up high enough to float level. Also a lot of fiberglass boats don't use wood these days.

I love how many people who have not owned a barcrusher are so called experts. The drainage sump to the rear was an amazing asset in my 620C especially when cleaning the decks of guts and blood. I had the first 620C in QLD when they were first released. For shits and giggles we flooded the old girl quite a few times chasing bigger wake whilst skiing. To dump the water there were actually 2 drainage points - the rear sump as well as the fish kill well which drained into the floodable keel. We often had a good 400 L sloshing around in the back chasing bigger wake and it could all be dumped very quickly. If you're not able to drive due to getting swamped then scuppers would not help regardless- seriously though how often do you intend on getting swamped- this is just a point to whinge on. I've definitely had my fair share of green over the bow and none of it ever came into the boat (head on)

As for the ride- yes trim labs are a must. The BC would ride best with keeping the ass up and nose down creating a very level attitude. Had my BC out at 1770 and off moreton alot. Sure she has her limits - especially when fully loaded, the boat could ride like a pig. All in all a very cheap boat to run, great at rest amazing welds and fabrication and took a while to learn how to drive her and needed quite a few tweaks to keep the boat riding sweet. Also had the best transducer sound i've ever seen due to the flat hull. Disregard what the others are saying mate and listen to the past and present owners of the boats. In full disclosure I upgraded to a cat- best thing i've ever done but thats more dollars in servicing, more cost per trip but what a ride!!!

I half sunk my 16' cat by being anchored from the back in open sea, the whole back of the boat was completely underwater by a couple of feet above the motors and when we cut the rope it was fully back up in less than 2 minutes without power.
    In my mind anything with a sump has probably not got a true self draining deck like a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Most alloy boats just rely on air chambers to stay afloat. Certainly not unsinkable if the hull is holed/ a major weld fails. A boat is only truely unsinkable if it has suffucient foam floatation and preferably up high enough to float level. Also a lot of fiberglass boats don't use wood these days.
    what brands are ‘most alloy boats’ as when I was looking at getting one built vindicator was the only builder using air chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    A lot of people still have that same thinking today from way back when ally boats made a big hit, just recently i had about 5 or 6 people ask if my boat the one i just sold ally when i replied fibreglass they passed one guy even said he didnt want the boat to sink LOL like wtf

Its just an erra that has stuck around in peoples heads for the past few decades "ally boats dont sink" because they have foam under the floor its crazy anyone could have lifted the floor many times..

Bill Hi I'm in cairns & have owned my BC 6.1 since 2003 . If you want to have a chat / see the boat / get my opinion (not that I have ever owned glass) give me a pm .
    Regards
    Frank

Scuppers - hate em. They do have their benefits - main ones in my eyes being not flushing blood etc from the deck into the bilge and the ability to shed water without power - a major bonus if you leave the boat at a marina or on a mooring and cop a heap of rain - have seen boats come to grief because a bilge pump has flattened a battery trying to keep up with rain. That said, I've fished offshore on a variety of boats up to a 30' Noosa cat - wet shoes every time using a sea anchor. They may be of assistance in a swamping but you would have to have a pretty serious cock up to get to that point - heaven knows, I've tried. Short of driving a centre console into a breaking wave or having one roll over the back coming in, a pump is more than capable of handling water that comes over the gunwale in my experience. If it's gotten to the point it doesn't - you probably shouldn't have been there.

Scott we got caught out one time i think about 2 years ago moored up at lilli pilly in sydney it started raing than it absolutely poured the boat filled up with so much water a 115hp yamaha full throttle moved the boat at about 30kph bow way high ass digging in no bilge pump felt like water was draining for 25-30mins so much we packed up and drove off and it was still draining

Bloody crazy when we got back to the wharf i took my shoes off they were litterly filled with water my clothes wrre like i just jumped in the river and got out

Some wild weather days out there and u dont need to be stuck 10k's out for it to happen

Just recently I've been following ACB Ayr Craft Boats from the town of Ayr in North Queensland. They look like a pretty well built boat and have got some innovative design ideas.

Here is a couple of comparison reviews of Quintrex vs Barcrusher by old foghorn Leghorn from Brisbane Yamaha.....

Barcrusher might be an OK boat, but compared to what ese is available for the same sort of dollars I just don't feel the Barcrusher love at all....any number of QLD boutique builders can build a great boat in a number of configurations and with whatever customisation you want.....I saw one of these out on the water the other day...it didn't look too bad..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Here is a couple of comparison reviews of Quintrex vs Barcrusher by old foghorn Leghorn from Brisbane Yamaha.....

This bloke is the original mold for a dodgy sales person, what a flog

Bar crushers Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Barcrusher might be an OK boat, but compared to what ese is available for the same sort of dollars I just don't feel the Barcrusher love at all....any number of QLD boutique builders can build a great boat in a number of configurations and with whatever customisation you want.....I saw one of these out on the water the other day...it didn't look too bad..

The OMM boats are a bloody nice platey made here on the Sunshine Coast, was about to order one just before I changed my mind and take up the offer to give the old cat a bit of love instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁