Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bar crushers Opinions?

Re: Bar crushers Opinions?

[QUOTE=NAGG;1665259
    The only real negative for me is the use of a sump & bilge pump rather than scuppers - the trade off with the ballast hull and lower centre of gravity.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Chris why is that a negative for you...?

Have you had a wet deck boat with scuppers before...?..in rough seas and reversing up it means you always have some water sloshing around down the back...

Unless you are doing bar crossings or fishing big seas I quite like the idea of keeping a dry deck with a sump and bilge..particularly if it means the floor is lower and more stable..

For a mass produced boat they are pretty good, Formosa not so good. You will get much more boat for your cash if you go custom though.

Trailer boats with scuppers arnt gojng to save you when swamped anyway
    Still going to need those bilge pumps

All they are good for is shedding some water over the bow hardtop if you go through a big wave in a bar crossing

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    For a mass produced boat they are pretty good, Formosa not so good. You will get much more boat for your cash if you go custom though.
    Yep, a Svvenson wouldn't be such a bad choice for his requirements.......How are you finding the stability at rest though..?...Do those ballast tubes do the trick..?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Trailer boats with scuppers arnt gojng to save you when swamped anyway
    Still going to need those bilge pumps

All they are good for is shedding some water over the bow hardtop if you go through a big wave in a bar crossing
    I really don’t understand that comment. Bilge pump will do nothing on a fully sealed floor unless you split the bottom. And depending on how big the split is the bilge pump won’t keep up anyway. Been there, hopefully never again.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yep, a Svvenson wouldn't be such a bad choice for his requirements.......How are you finding the stability at rest though..?...Do those ballast tubes do the trick..?
    It’s good at rest.

Massive difference !!!

Only been on a couple of boats but they still had a sump at floor level with pumps
    As well as in the bilge

If you cop enough water the scuppers they fit will not shed water fast enough before the next one comes

Still need pumps

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Only been on a couple of boats but they still had a sump at floor level with pumps
    As well as in the bilge

If you cop enough water the scuppers they fit will not shed water fast enough before the next one comes

Still need pumps
    Yeah mate in the situation you suggest a regular bilge pump would be next to useless..

most are only around 1000-2000 gallons per hour...if you boat were swamped in rough seas or a bar then you don't have the luxury of an hours time...

If you take a look at the video I posted and the photo you will see the centre scuppers on the Supervee are 37cm by 12cm ….that's going to shed some serious water 100's of time quicker than a piddly little bilge pump...but that's not to say if will save you in a swamping type situation either but a bilge pump alone will give you no chance..

and remember most plate alloy sealed hull trailer boats with scuppers don't have a deck bilge pump and only have a bilge pump down below inside the "sealed" hull which takes away any water that seeps into the main hull compartments through poorly fitted hatchs, transducers screws , motor bolts etc and of course cracks, leaks or pinholes in the hull...

Have you had a wet deck boat with scuppers before...?..in rough seas and reversing up it means you always have some water sloshing around down the back...

Unless you are doing bar crossings or fishing big seas I quite like the idea of keeping a dry deck with a sump and bilge..particularly if it means the floor is lower and more stable..
    Decent scuppers will shed more water than a 2000 gal /hr bilge pump.

A swamping at a bar you'll need more than scuppers or a single pump …… but if the motor is going and you have scuppers you'll remove the waters quicker with forward momentum .

As I said though it is a trade off with the Barcrusher

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Don’t believe everything you here go for a run with some one who knows how to use the trim on a crusher or surtees

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Decent scuppers will shed more water than a 2000 gal /hr bilge pump.

A swamping at a bar you'll need more than scuppers or a single pump …… but if the motor is going and you have scuppers you'll remove the waters quicker with forward momentum .

As I said though it is a trade off with the Barcrusher

Chris

Spot on.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Don’t believe everything you here go for a run with some one who knows how to use the trim on a crusher or surtees

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Play with the trim and tabs all you like, there are so just some basic design flaws you won't overcome..at all...but this is just about ally boats, right? So they are probably no worse than any of them in the size.

I have a large scupper with an alloy cover and deck is dry and doesn’t allow much water in as the pressure keeps it shut if backing up the deck gets more wet hosing down with deck wash!
    Stevej When you have a sealed deck and independant sealed bulkheads then there is no requirement for bilge pumps so it is all in the design, personally a lot of boat designs with scuppers and bilge pumps aren’t true sealed decks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I have said this many times, even though the Barcrusher is an OK boat, it really became "legendary" after constant advertising on TV fishing shows, just as Surtees currently does, they make it appear as every other boat is a waste of time, and without a Honda you will never get back home.