Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish Mackerel , safe size to eat in far north east QLD ?

Re: Spanish Mackerel , safe size to eat in far north east QLD ?

If this is true it's just crazy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...41010194903123

TMC

Well, the sharks up north eat almost everything! Even your catch a lot of times!

I caught a biggun on Lucky Phil's boat once. We ate it.

In Noumea, they call it "the itch". The test over there is to put a bit of flesh on the ground and if the ants eat it they eat it. Highly scientific process of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    The thing is, it is a cumulative poison. You eat a bit today, no worries, have a bit in a few days, no worries, have a bit more in a few days and WHAMO.

It was many years ago now, but a member from this forum, and his family copped a dose, the description of his and families suffering sounded like something best avoided.
    Thats was me, would never put my family through that again. The spin off was my wife had her gal bladder removed shortly after and I had to have mine removed 2 years latter

I now taste test all my spanish before letting anyone eat some ( I eat a good feed and next day everyone else can have a go)
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I eat it as I fillet with a little bit of japanese soy. If I survive, friends and family can partake also.

I have not touched a Barrie ever since a doctor gave our fishing club a talk on ciga some fifteen years ago.If the Mackerel are on down here I will use 18 to 27 pound single strand which guarantees a speedy release for any Barries and only spotties to the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I caught a biggun on Lucky Phil's boat once. We ate it.

In Noumea, they call it "the itch". The test over there is to put a bit of flesh on the ground and if the ants eat it they eat it. Highly scientific process of course.
    Go figure, wont eat anything with Cig but will eat Ant Baits which kill them

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'm glad we don't have it in The West. Eat anything in the tropics you like that is not actually protected. Even Chinamen--banana benders are horrified when they see that--" you ain't in Queensland now, buddy. " Although it does mean that Trout don't get much chance to grow to the massive sizes you see on some of your offshore reefs, because they have to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    It seems Hervey Bay is a hot spot for it, I got a dose of Ciguatera in 1999, it was not a pleasant experience, came from a Queenfish caught in that area, had most of the symptoms and some of the symptoms lasted a long time (months). I don't think I left the toilet for more than 10 - 20 minutes for the first 2 days.
    Might pay to know your fishing regs too.....

53Taking or possessing particular fish—Platypus Bay
    A person must not in the Platypus Bay regulated waters—
    (a)take any of the following fish for trade or commerce—
    (i)catfish of the family Ariidae;
    (ii)cobia;
    (iii)giant queenfish;
    (iv)great barracuda;
    (v)spanish mackerel;
    (vi)pickhandle barracuda;
    (vii)yellowtail kingfish; or
    (b)possess a fish taken in contravention of paragraph (a).
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Might pay to know your fishing regs too.....

53Taking or possessing particular fish—Platypus Bay
    A person must not in the Platypus Bay regulated waters—
    (a)take any of the following fish for trade or commerce—
    (i)catfish of the family Ariidae;
    (ii)cobia;
    (iii)giant queenfish;
    (iv)great barracuda;
    (v)spanish mackerel;
    (vi)pickhandle barracuda;
    (vii)yellowtail kingfish; or
    (b)possess a fish taken in contravention of paragraph (a).
    Just for the record I didn't catch the fish, it was caught by a commercial fisherman and sold to me via a large Supermarket chain, and lawyers were involved.

I've been lucky and unlucky with Cig. Had no problems with Nth Qld fish but had it twice at home from Blue Groper off Lake Macquarie. Not something I want to go through again. 24hrs feeling like someone has a double handfull of your intestines twisting them, numb mouth and reversed hot and cold sensation. I don't eat much Spanish but have eaten them over 20KG form Mission to Daintree. A mate at Hideaway Bay has been affected that much that his doctor has told him not to eat tropics fish again, or else! Seems like it's a lottery. I won't be relying on the cat or ants, I'll file those ones with the 'turn your sounder off, you're scaring the fish' idea. Just eat fish in moderation if you're worried.