Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best fishing boat in the 6-6.5m category (Cabin)

Best fishing boat in the 6-6.5m category (Cabin)

I've been researching a lot and would love to here some feedback from owners of cabin boats in the 6m to 6.5m range. The good, the bad and the ugly. Every salesperson and marketing ad all say that there boat is the best so it makes it very hard to choose. I'm going to go to the boat show in Melbourne this year to get aboard a few that I like the look of and arrange a water test as I know that'll be the only way to know if I like the feel of the hulls but hoping you guys that have seasons of experience in them might help steer me in the right direction. I'm looking to cap my spend at around 80k so second hand with low hours will be a good option. Lets hear what you love and hate about your boat?

Re: Best fishing boat in the 6-6.5m category (Cabin)

For that money you can get yourself a brand new Yalta 2200 with lots of extras and still have lots of money left over for more tackle, beer and fuel.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I guess first off you need to sort out your compromises, like bigger bunks or less floor space, very deep V for better ride, or flatter for stability, all sorts of stuff needs to be sorted, what makes something "the best" for me, is not your best.

All comes down to what you intend to use your boat for the majority of the time. There is no one perfect boat for all occasions.

Is there such a thing as "The best" As has been mentioned all boats are about compromise it's just about how many compromises you are willing to except to get what is "your " perfect boat .

Maybe to assist with some guidance - why don't you jot down how you intend to use the boat (style of fishing , overnighters , beach launching / landing , towing , how many people etc) There are some pretty switched on types that can point you in the right direction .

Maybe spend an afternoon watching the Captains series on youtube

www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTE7shdCFTNEyrnzVQTYmA/videos

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

"Fishing boat"

From my experience, would favour plate alloy over glass for the above..

Been in LOTS of different boats in this 6 - 6.5m range..

Would suggest looking at the bar crusher, surtees or Extreme type boats..

Also a custom plate alloy, most reputable brands make good ones and really comes down to taste and budget at the end of the day..

Couple I would happily recommend that will not disappoint are the old Noble Super Vee (before they went to China), Rip Tide, Fisher or a performance plate boat..

Probably if going to go to the hassle of building your own would talk to Sam @ Performance plate boats as he is in my opinion building a great boat and very reasonable however you will need to be patient and willing to wait as they are always busy!

Lots of compromises when it comes to declaring the best boat but the above from a pure fishing perspective are up their with the best in my experience..

Good luck and happy hunting

Yeah, sorry, should have said that I'm leaning towards a glass boat. Will be a ramp only boat that I'll sleep out in from time to time but fishability trumps over comfort for me. I'm live in Victoria so a lot of bay fishing and coastal from places like Portland. The Haines hunter Offshore 625, Signature 650f are the two that I keep coming back to.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haines signature, 632f. Did everything you have asked for. Older model is the 630f newer model is the 650f. Might be a big brand name, but from personal experience with the Haines boys, they know how to build a boat. They also own The Seafarer moulds and the 6 metre Victory would arguably be one the best riding hulls in that range and they also own Tournament pleasure boats which are a good value for money boat.
    Disclosure- I owned a 632f and currently own a Tournament 1900 Bluewater centre console. ( possibly biased)😂😂😂

After recently purchasing a second hand boat myself I’ve found what I had in mind and what I ended up with were quite different haha. Mainly due to price availability engine and fit out. Just couldn’t find what I was really after even looking for 15 months..... I looking for a Caribbean or seafarer or Haines hunter. Ended up with a Boston Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Is there such a thing as "The best" As has been mentioned all boats are about compromise it's just about how many compromises you are willing to except to get what is "your " perfect boat .

Maybe to assist with some guidance - why don't you jot down how you intend to use the boat (style of fishing , overnighters , beach launching / landing , towing , how many people etc) There are some pretty switched on types that can point you in the right direction .

Maybe spend an afternoon watching the Captains series on youtube

www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTE7shdCFTNEyrnzVQTYmA/videos

Chris
    How do I find this captains series

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

The seafarer Vagabond is a nice boat.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I think so too.
    What could go wrong.......................

Just seen a HH or HS 1950 on fb gee they are a nice looking hull sits really well at rest

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would also have a look at the Cruise Craft 625/685 Explorer/Outsider. Did a Bar crossing course years ago in Bill Cortens 685 and it was outstanding. 685’s are expensive but every now and then a second hand one comes up in your budget.

Easy answer. Cootacraft BadBoy. Nothing else in its class comes close.