Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plate Boat Layout

New Plate Boat Layout

Gday fishos!! Im about to meet a prominent plate boat builder and have been drawing pictures in my shed for the past 18months to try and design a layout that will cover light game fishing and bottom bouncing in northern nsw out of a 6.1m centre console with a 200 suzi on the back. I have tried to cover all bases including rod holder placement, kill tank or not, live bait tank, shade, protection you name it Ive thrown it around. My priority is fishing deck space in the rear for trolling and landing fish without compromising on stability by pushing the console a little further foward. Hell ive even contemplated where to put the pie warmer for the early snapper sessions in winter. Just a fun post to see if anyone has that special feature thatr they are really glad they included in their build. Typically - a comprehensive small game boat on a beer budget - just wanting to see if there is anything I havn't considered. Construction will commence in the next three months I think.
    Happy to see what people have done with limited space and storage etc. Would you run twin 10inch sounder combos or a single 16inch unit - nothing is out of the discussion. Budget 80k.
    Lets have a giggle as well!!
    Cheers,
    Troy

Re: New Plate Boat Layout

If you want maximum fishing room in the stern, don't get a centre console, a hard top or cuddy gives much more room

Or get used to fighting fish from the bow. Much more efficient way to get line back on a hot fish. Twins as far as electronics goes - gives a bit of redundancy.

Gday Noelm, can't argue with the logic there but a cc has the all round fishability if I want to go chasing bass and crabs as well - the cuddy certainly gives you the best rear end real estate Agreed!!

Gday Scottar - that will be something to consider with the bow layout and gunnel height - or get a lean post that can be removeable. I do like the idea of twin screens - especially as you can set both and then not fiddle to much with switching views - was considering twin Garmin 8410s ikw tranny - will see how the budget goes - need to get layout sorted

I have had all sorts of boat configurations (currently have a CC) and a centre console has more realestate, but, it is spread out, so there is no one big space, and fishing room at the stern is limited, the theory is good, but in practice, not so good. Electronics as mentioned, two units are preferred, but, not always possible due to mounting space and cost.

The further u move the console forward the harder the ride will be on you the driver the further back the less u will feel the chop, pounding and general motion while driving

Look at the guys up in the NT they have there side consoles right at the rear

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

His priority for fishing space in the rear puts a damper on a rear or close to rear console though.

Yeah but 6.1 meters of boat that is hell of a lot of room to play with depending on size of console and seat layout

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

The joys of boats - pretty much everything is a compromise of something else. If you get an all rounder it will do everything okay but nothing well.
    I prefer to get something that is great at what my main priority is then be compromised when doing the lesser.

In terms of stern space you cant go past a forward cab/half cab. However if youre mainly doing light tackle un-anchored chasing fish its not the best option. Centre console cabins do a bit of both but take up too much room in under 7m boats imo (usually not that easily acceptable to get to the bow as well.

If you have the space Id go for 2 x 12 or a 12 and a 9. 16 are a bit overpriced prob a bit of a wank imo. Ive got shit vision and the 12 is plenty big enough.

Troy, this is my old rig and a bit like where you are headed by the sounds. It was neat 6M point of sheets to motor bracket. I moved what was a big wide enclosed console as far forward as I was comfortable with. The key to making room in the back of a CC is to integrate the fishbox and seat I recon. This boat had really good storage (big underfloor storage forward) for a CC. I had it built in 2005 and it was an awesomely versatile boat from bass to blues for the 12 years I had it. I went to hard top cuddy a year or so ago so I could do multi day trips and sleep/shelter in comfort. Good luck with it.
    Scott

IMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1522.jpgIMG_1525.jpgIMG_1527.jpgP1020965.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

A mate has just had a 5.7 metre Edgewater imported. It has a couple of features that I really like. First is a step down & in console - not only does it make for a fantastic storage space, it makes access for servicing or installation of any electricals a breeze. The console is well and truly big enough to fit the 2 x 12 displays as well as other equipment without issue - all flush mount without using the top of the console so in a 6 metre rig it really shouldn't be an issue. It also has a reasonable casting platform that doubles as storage with a removable extension that allows the area to be used as a bed. With a bit of thought, getting a collapsible canvas "igloo" structure using a similar construction to a dome tent wouldn't actually be all that difficult if you wished to have a bit of night time shelter. A leaning post would not be hard to set up with a bit of thought and would really allow the angler to lock themselves in. The live bait tank is sizable and has been bought forward to behind the helm seating - gets the weight forward of the stern a bit and doubles as seating with an additional cushion. Forward of the console there is also provision to secure an icebox with a cushion. There is no bait table - he's a plastics and lures fisho but fitting one wouldn't be a major. Worth a look for some ideas.

Gday Scott - thanks for the photos - nice work on both boats!! As many have said (and totally agree with) boats are always about compromise - I think I have the flexibility to move the console forward about 400mm and not compromise too much on ride - she is a heavy thing! Instead of the bench seat and ice box underneath I was thinking of two 360deg swivel seats on pedestals or small boxes closer to the console. My last cc had plenty of space in the rear but I had no seating at all which makes a big difference but I am wanting to spend more time out at sea and be a bit more comfortable doing it - getting too old to stand all day!!
    But thanks for the photos - I think I will be pretty close with it all. Cheers, Troy

Gday Scottar - food for thought with some of that, thanks! I like the look and idea of flush mounted electronics but worry about loosing the flexibility of changing angles depending on weather and glare. Hadn't factored the weight issue with the live bait tank ....doh! but that is something to consider for sure!! I had contemplated the use of insulated fish bag as a space saver but recon they must be like fighting a crocodile when trying to lift them out of the boat... not sure how that would go.

You can never have too much storage in a boat, if a kill tank is possible, get one, even if you still use the bag, having it under the floor sure beats stepping on or over it, same goes for fuel tank, if you can get a bigger one, go for it (usually) same for the live bait tank, get a big one, if not live baiting, it can be used for (say) some drinks with a bit of ice added, or storage for "stuff" on a simple family trip.