Thread: Flattys in the fresh

Blog Entries

Flattys in the fresh

We got 146mm of rain Friday night and into Saturday morning so when I set out for a fish as the tide came in on Saturday after the last of the scuds rolled through I didn't hold too much hope as I've learnt the flat ones don't fire up immediately after a big deluge. It usually takes a day or two. I decided to go have a poke around anyway. Seems I was right. Only one flatty landed that went 43cms. I let it go and decided to take the kayak out the next morning and fish the top of the tide in close to the mangroves. So I arrived at my launch spot at 4am and turned the car off. Then I restarted it and headed home because I had left my rods at hime. Luckily I only live 10 mins from my launch spot and I was back and on the water at 4:30am as the first of the light started to become visible on the horizon. There was plenty of bait around and there were swirls aplenty so I was feeling confident. By 5am I had my first flatty that whacked the 4inch Gulp curl tail grub as soon as it hit the water. After a fun little tussle on the light gear I had it in the net. A nice 58cm model. Into the keeper net it went and I continued to hunt around. By 6am I had bagged out. I caught a couple more and let them go and by 7am as the tide topped out they had shut down so I headed in for a cuppa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FH.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	120647

Re: Flattys in the fresh

Good read mate.
    Nice feed there. Good to see someone is getting out for a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gday Funchy, well done, just wondering how the passage is after that rain, has the water gone muddy?.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Gday Funchy, well done, just wondering how the passage is after that rain, has the water gone muddy?.
    Hey AC Merry new year and all that. Yeah she's muddied up a fair bit. How's your end?

Hi Funchy, we were on the water at 5.30 this morning, water was good and not much wind, tide was low just how I like it and we fished until 10am and I never had a touch from a flathead, landed 1 grunter bream, and merry xmas and happy new year to you too mate..
    Oh and I started keeping a tally of my catches from April, at the end of the year I had landed 199 flathead and the biggest was a sad 66cm lol, hopefully this year I can improve on that..
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Hey AC Merry new year and all that. Yeah she's muddied up a fair bit. How's your end?

Alley the big mothers are right there where your catching the little ones try using live bait poddy mullet i have caught a few 90cm flatties in Sydney last one was 89cm on a live poddy mullet in a location that cops a floggin from fishos so they are out there

Maybe keep a book on uour catches right it down in a almanic fishos book and you'll be catching whoppers all the time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Hi Funchy, we were on the water at 5.30 this morning, water was good and not much wind, tide was low just how I like it and we fished until 10am and I never had a touch from a flathead, landed 1 grunter bream, and merry xmas and happy new year to you too mate..
    Oh and I started keeping a tally of my catches from April, at the end of the year I had landed 199 flathead and the biggest was a sad 66cm lol, hopefully this year I can improve on that..
    Must admit the year just passed was one of the quietest years when it comes to bigger models. Plenty of 50-60cm fish landed but I think I only got one over 75 for the year. Like you say, hopefully there will be some bigger ones landed as we come I into the cooler months