Thread: 02 Yamaha 60

02 Yamaha 60

Are their any problems with these motors that I need to be aware of , I am looking for a new boat and this has come up . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: 02 Yamaha 60

Basic reliable engine

Liable to salt build up in the water channels in the head. Take the thermostat and have a look may give a indication of salt build up

Hello Bluefin59,
    is it a two stroke or a four stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello Bluefin59,
    is it a two stroke or a four stroke?
    2 stroke mate

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Basic reliable engine

Liable to salt build up in the water channels in the head. Take the thermostat and have a look may give a indication of salt build up
    I would be getting a mobile mechanic to look at it ,thanks for the information mate . Matt

Hello Bluefin,
    I am on my second 60 2s.
    I have owned two over the last 14 years.
    Very good motor in every way.
    The first one was replaced because it had corrosion in the water jacket cover of the cylinder head and the trim and tilt had corrosion.
    Beyond economical repair.
    Fair enough because that one was second hand and I had no idea of it's maintenance history.
    Lots of motors have corrosion in the trim and tilt, have look at the boat ramp.
    The current owner might allow you to remove the thermostat which will give a look inside the cooling passages, I don't know about lifting the cylinder head water jacket or the side jacket to have a look.
    I cruise at 4000 rpm and use 18 litres per hour for 18 knots on a Webster Twinfisher.
    Makes it very easy to calculate range.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello Bluefin,
    I am on my second 60 2s.
    I have owned two over the last 14 years.
    Very good motor in every way.
    The first one was replaced because it had corrosion in the water jacket cover of the cylinder head and the trim and tilt had corrosion.
    Beyond economical repair.
    Fair enough because that one was second hand and I had no idea of it's maintenance history.
    Lots of motors have corrosion in the trim and tilt, have look at the boat ramp.
    The current owner might allow you to remove the thermostat which will give a look inside the cooling passages, I don't know about lifting the cylinder head water jacket or the side jacket to have a look.
    I cruise at 4000 rpm and use 18 litres per hour for 18 knots on a Webster Twinfisher.
    Makes it very easy to calculate range.
    Thanks for that mate , I’m on the look out for a second hand boat to replace my bluefin that I sold 2 years ago , I need something cheap for when we are home and not travelling .thanks for your help it’s much appreciated. Matt